9.5 language

Ruralbrownman

Contemplating filing a grievance against UPS and the Teamsters. Why you ask, plain and simple, the language is not being followed. Sure the company is writing checks, I am told over $65,000 in one building last year, but the intent of the language is to reduce dispatch. The monetary part of the language was to be the penalty and not the answer. The attitude of our BA is well you are getting paid. True, but a lot of drivers would prefer to be home at 5 or 530 instead of 7 or 8 or 9 as it has become in our building and many others. I assume from the company standpoint $65k is cheaper than hiring another driver but in the meantime, they are wearing out drivers and injuries are on the increase, I can only imagine what will happen if this continues into the summer, probably just the stay hydrated PCM. I have told our BA I will never vote yes on a contract till it is automatic after 9.5 and grievances need not be filed, but I know what the companies response would be, well drivers will only hang on the clock. So I ask , what are your feeling on this issue???

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Contemplating filing a grievance against UPS and the Teamsters. Why you ask, plain and simple, the language is not being followed. Sure the company is writing checks, I am told over $65,000 in one building last year, but the intent of the language is to reduce dispatch. The monetary part of the language was to be the penalty and not the answer. The attitude of our BA is well you are getting paid. True, but a lot of drivers would prefer to be home at 5 or 530 instead of 7 or 8 or 9 as it has become in our building and many others. I assume from the company standpoint $65k is cheaper than hiring another driver but in the meantime, they are wearing out drivers and injuries are on the increase, I can only imagine what will happen if this continues into the summer, probably just the stay hydrated PCM. I have told our BA I will never vote yes on a contract till it is automatic after 9.5 and grievances need not be filed, but I know what the companies response would be, well drivers will only hang on the clock. So I ask , what are your feeling on this issue???
Who said it is designed to reduce dispatch? If it were, it would be automatic, not this "file a grievance" bullsheetrock.

Are you on the 9.5 list?

JustDeliverIt

Unfortunately, the unions idea to fix this was 22.4's. Drivers when we're busy and preload when we aren't. UPS's response has been use them as drivers at a cheaper rate and with our expanded volume run at the same levels and not care at all. Nothing will change unfortunately.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It is cheaper to pay OT and grievances
They intimidate drivers with threats of ojs if they file, and the whole 3 day thing left wiggle room for management to play with. This is why it should be automatic for any day over 9-5. It it were, the company would dictate that sups not cross that threshold too often.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Only $65,000? Got to bump those numbers up, rookie. That's probably less than 100 weeks of paid grievances. And could come from less than 10 drivers filing.
I do agree, it's bullsheetz that they choose "mindgames" to "convince you to work faster" over policies that would actually help you to work faster. The worst part: it's been considered to be incredibly effective, whether or not is beyond my scope.

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
@Ruralbrownman I feel your pain. Come Monday I'll file my 3rd 9.5 grieve in as many weeks. My BA has the same attitude as yours. The penalty is not steep enough to dissuade the company from exploiting the language -- but raising the penalty will not be easy, it would likely have to be driven by rank and file members like us fed up with excessive OT.

Whither

Scofflaw
Do you file a grievance when they violate the 9-5 language? If I am not mistaken after a couple grievances are paid off they are supposed to have a meeting so they can figure away how to reduce your overtime

Paging @542thruNthru @BigUnionGuy
If you have 4 valid 9.5 grieves within a calendar year then "a meeting shall be scheduled the District Labor Manager, Business Agent, and the Co-chairs of the applicable Supplemental panel to determine what actions are necessary to ensure compliance." (Art 37 Sect 1) From experience I've found this doesn't happen automatically but has to be requested.

Whither

Scofflaw
Last year I requested my meeting with the labor manager after 6 valid 9.5 grieves but the BA refused to address it because he was worried the labor manager would stop paying out on grounds of Covid being an 'act of God'. I expressed my displeasure to the BA about this and he insisted if I had 4 more 9.5 grieves in the year he would demand the meeting, so I let it slide. And the company managed to keep me under -- think I only had 1 grieve after that dispute.

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
It’s cheaper to make drivers stay out later than add another route and pay another driver guaranteed 8.
If it gets out of hand take your concerns to the media. Not everyone looks at brown cafe but most people read the news

If you have 4 valid 9.5 grieves within a calendar year then "a meeting shall be scheduled the District Labor Manager, Business Agent, and the Co-chairs of the applicable Supplemental panel to determine what actions are necessary to ensure compliance." (Art 37 Sect 1) From experience I've found this doesn't happen automatically but has to be requested.
I knew there was some kind of language I just couldn't remember exactly what it was