...or the driver from looking the same.
Maybe in your world, where I live there is nothing done by management to prevent a driver from looking like an idiot. Actually quite the contrary, nearly every report you see laying around is all about something idiotic a driver has done.

Dustyroads

I don't speak for centers around the country, however, at our center, there has never been a driver who has been displined (that means a loss of pay) for running over allowed. They will harrass you, ride with you, be really nasty to you, but, in my 30 years in package cars, I've never seen a driver terminated or even suspended for running over allowed. It makes for a miserable working enviornment, but one thing you can remember, you will be around when that sup is long, long gone.

Dustyroads

Your center manager wants no missed stops and no 9.5's. Every time my center manager or sup voices an unrealistic demand, I just quote that old UPS driver, Dale Jarrett, "I want a million dollars and a pet monkey." We all have wants.

Mr Mojo

I go over 9.5 everyday. Several drivers in my center do.
They OJS'd us all to see what we were "doing wrong".

We all came out with the sme result, we all did the job they way we're supposed to, no room for improvememnt when we are doing it by the book.

In my case after determining that my last pickup which could not be closed out until 18:35, they decided that 18:30 is a better time.
I arrive at this pickup at about 18:00, anywhere from 50 -150 packages where I have to go up and down three steps to get to my car. ALso, I was told to scan high values, internationals, ARS etc after 18:35 originally, because if I did it any earlier, it would show me being there too early which my manager didn't want.
So now the rule is to go to the pickup, scan everything that needs to be scanned, load everything and then hit prerecord. Then at 18:30, open the pickup again and scan the end of day. This actually saved me about 10 -15 minutes a day.

Even so, if I leave the pickup at exactly 18:30, it takes 18 minutes to get back to my center and only if I hit every light green. Then I have to unload the airs, give bad adds etc to clerk, restock my smalls bags, bring high values to high value room and then park the car on the opposite side of the building and walk back to the turn in area and then punch out before 18:59. It will never happen since it is impossible to do all that in 11 minutes.
Their solution? At 14:00 when I send my message with stops completed and stops left and my ETA, they determine if another driver can cover my last pick up, and then bring me in earlier.
Either way I win. If I do the complete route, I get overtime in my pocket, if I get off early, I get to eat dinner before it gets dark.

They haven't done anything to me about over 9.5 since they can't.
We have 7 drivers in my area, we all have the same start time except for 1. He starts 10 minutes later. They could give him the pickup and then we'd all be under 9.5, but since his route loses work to fill the other six, he ends up with wacky splits that don't allow him to do that last pick up for me.

All they can do is get my last pick up to be picked up earlier and tha would solve it, but I don't think that will happen.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Yeah....whatever. It's designed to keep a management person from looking bad.

I'm on vacation this week, and I had a phone call yesterday where a cover driver told me that my supervisor ran my route blind. I would love to see how well he did it, I'm usually dispatched by 20-30 stops over my max everyday.

sendagain

I never understood the whole push for 9.5 when the route would take at least that long to deliver. I just stayed out and did the work, making sure I made every delivery: that is the reason we were hired to do this job after all. When you bust your butt everyday, nobody can make a good argument against you. But if you like to stand around and bs with customers, keep two eyes in the back of your head.

NHDRVR

Getting harrazzed for working over. New division manager wants everybody in before 9.5 no matter what with no missed. Problem is my rt is an hr off. Have had lockins, etc....and best is 130 over.but, I am being dispatched with enough work to stay out 10 or better every day.Now being told that a lock in doent mean anything! So they are riding me to get in under bar none. Any suggestions for my case......................

There is no problem as far as I can see. Based on what you wrote, you are not meeting expectations and your routes dispatch range is out of whack.
Welcome to UPS.

Seriously though, work safe, follow the methods so when you are OJS'd (if it comes to that) you are covered, work safe, make sure you know your route like the back of your hand so you won't be accused of stealing time, work safe, and make sure you are working safe.

You are not going to give them a satisfactory over/under allowance since they will simply adjust it as you start to move faster.
Please take it upon yourself to know you are following the methods and not giving them the 'easy' stuff to harrass you about. The rest of the chips will fall where they may....Good Luck!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I don't speak for centers around the country, however, at our center, there has never been a driver who has been displined (that means a loss of pay) for running over allowed. They will harrass you, ride with you, be really nasty to you, but, in my 30 years in package cars, I've never seen a driver terminated or even suspended for running over allowed. It makes for a miserable working enviornment, but one thing you can remember, you will be around when that sup is long, long gone.
What makes for a miserable work environment is the harassment, excessive rides for not being able to run a route in a timely manner that some pencil pusher with a broken calculator came up with knowing that they themselves have never done this job.

If these numbers are accurate like IE says then prove it let them run the route scratch for one day!

705red

Browncafe Steward
I'm on vacation this week, and I had a phone call yesterday where a cover driver told me that my supervisor ran my route blind. I would love to see how well he did it, I'm usually dispatched by 20-30 stops over my max everyday.
I hope you will file on this and enjoy at least 8 hours of double time pay for your sup working. We have people laid off and no sups should be working, period!

MobileBA

9.5 Intimidation is designed to get those who will buckle under pressure to put on a cape and perform miricles..........Imagine this, a building of a hundred drivers, 10 percent buckle; consequently 1 less driver is on road and layed off.

9.5 Intimidation is designed to get those who will buckle under pressure to put on a cape and perform miricles..........Imagine this, a building of a hundred drivers, 10 percent buckle; consequently 1 less driver is on road and layed off.
Perform miracles= skip breaks, cut corners, etc. It's funny how they holler and scream and whine about methods and procedures non stop, and yet those same methods and procedures slow us down to a snail's pace. Then, of course, it's our fault for being over nine five.