9 /5

barnyard

KTM rider
My center manager will not let anyone go over to find out. Mondays are pretty much an automatic 10+ hour day, after that it is pretty much daily messages, "Do you need help to finish"

The list is very effective in my building.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Is there a reason it takes so long other than to get a jab at the grievant?

Because there’s no incentive for them to settle in a reasonable amount of time

Need to have a penalty attached if it isn’t settled promptly. Something else that could have been negotiated in the best contract in the history of contracts

The Driver

I drive.
slow.gif

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Because there’s no incentive for them to settle in a reasonable amount of time.

Sure there is.

It's a problem with the BA or the Local.

You send them a certified letter stating "these are the dates I have available to hear grievances."

Failing to respond in a timely maner.... you slate them all for the next Panel and file

NLRB charges against the company. Do that once, and you will never have a problem again.

This is like Business Agent 101.

-Bug-

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Sure there is.

It's a problem with the BA or the Local.

You send them a certified letter stating "these are the dates I have available to hear grievances."

Failing to respond in a timely maner.... you slate them all for the next Panel and file

NLRB charges against the company. Do that once, and you will never have a problem again.

This is like Business Agent 101.

-Bug-
My BA is excellent, i;d put him up against anyone. he does this,the dates are set to hear grievances and a couple of days before the hearing the Labor manager says something along the lines of " due to unforeseen circumstances I have to cancel the hearing,please let me know when you are available to reschedule"

As has been said there is no punishment against the company for these delaying tactics

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My BA is excellent, i;d put him up against anyone. he does this,the dates are set to hear grievances and a couple of days before the hearing the Labor manager says something along the lines of " due to unforeseen circumstances I have to cancel the hearing,please let me know when you are available to reschedule"

No doubt that can happen.

But, that's why you send them a list of multiple dates.

If they cancel.... you send a follow up letter.

Dump a bunch of grievances on a Panel (without being heard locally) and the company

chairman will rip the local labor person a new one. Not to mention, the pending NLRB charge.

-Bug-

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
No doubt that can happen.

But, that's why you send them a list of multiple dates.

If they cancel.... you send a follow up letter.

Dump a bunch of grievances on a Panel (without being heard locally) and the company

chairman will rip the local labor person a new one. Not to mention, the pending NLRB charge.

-Bug-
@728ups and I are out of the same local. What he’s saying is true. I’ve brought this up to the BA and the president, they are saying as long as UPS “tries” to meet with us to settle these, the National will just send them back to the local.

We just had January grievances get settled in Roswell, with a follow up meeting on this last Friday which was, surprise, canceled by the company.

As a side note, we still have around 1100 grievances in our building (two centers) oustanding. By around November, the company suddenly gets a fire lit underneath their ass to settle these, my guess is they don’t want the expense to show up on the following year.

They all eventually get paid at face value.

Last edited:

RolloTony Brown Town

What exactly are the duties of a labor manager?

The labor manager and departments job is to work with the different local BAs to settle all grievances.

They also appear to be an intermediary between the local BA and the center manger and division manager.

As a supervisor, if I’m not sure how to approach a situation that may result in discipline... I’ll reach out to my labor manager.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
The labor manager and departments job is to work with the different local BAs to settle all grievances.

They also appear to be an intermediary between the local BA and the center manger and division manager.

As a supervisor, if I’m not sure how to approach a situation that may result in discipline... I’ll reach out to my labor manager.
That’s good to hear, we have had rogue center managers who end up pissing off a good driver because he fired him on some bull:censored2: charge. The driver gets his job back without a doubt, but he’s never the same again, management sometimes creates their own enemies.

All of this could have been avoided if he just called the labor manager and asked “Can I fire Johnny for dishonesty, he lied about how many pickles were in his burger at lunch”

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I've never been over 3 days since I've been on the list. Had help sent on the 3rd day several times to keep me under when I left with too much. Monday is automatic over for me ( routes cut). Usually makes for a decent end to the week.

ManInBrown

Funniest thing is when I got to feeders I mentioned the 9.5 to my supe when he was training me. He says what the hell is that. They have no clue. More proof that feeders is a completely different company. Obv there’s no 9.5, but I was shocked he didn’t even know what it was.

On a side note for any package drivers wondering if feeders is for you, I’ve spoken to my supervisor exactly zero times in the last 2 months. Only even seen him on property once or twice.