$90.68 per hour...the only metric that matters to me

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
As of 6:25 this evening I had worked over 9.5 hours for 3 days this week. I am on the 9.5 list, and so for the first time in 23 years I am filing an Art 37 grievance that will award me "penalty pay" (3X the hourly rate) for all hours worked in excess of 9.5. I worked 11 hours today, so 1.5 hrs of penalty pay equals $136.02 for 90 minutes of labor instead of the $68.08 on simple overtime.

In other words....I will make an additional $67.94 in one day for doing the same work simply by documenting my hours and faxing in a signed grievance form to the local.

There were a total of 64 such grievances filed on my center... for one week. My center paid out over $5000 in penalty pay.....for one week.

Because the idiots in Atlanta have recently mandated that my center run an impossible number of stops per car, no attempt at all is being made to honor the 9.5 or 8 hr request language in Art. 37. Instead, the company is simply paying the grievances as fast as they come in. Virtually every driver on the center is filing now, in order to "cash in" and reap the benefits of Atlanta's stupidity.

Its free money. Its there for the taking. All you have to do is file. Truthfully, I could care less whether I work 9 or 9.5 or even 10 hours....but since the company has made a business decision to cram 11 or 12 hours of work per day down everybody's throat in order to generate a metric, I am filing in order to generate my own metric...$90.68 per hour.:happy-very:

ddomino

We don't even post this anymore. It should be posted 1/1 and 6/1 for the next 5 months. It was posted once and didn't even explain who should sign. If you wanted to be under 9.5 or it didn't matter. I don't know of anyone getting paid for violation of this.

grizbiker

Congrats to you and your center. We had our center manager begging the drivers to file grievances so we wouldn't have to go through this ram and cram dispatch again. 4 of us filed out of 33 drivers.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
As of 6:25 this evening I had worked over 9.5 hours for 3 days this week. I am on the 9.5 list, and so for the first time in 23 years I am filing an Art 37 grievance that will award me "penalty pay" (3X the hourly rate) for all hours worked in excess of 9.5. I worked 11 hours today, so 1.5 hrs of penalty pay equals $136.02 for 90 minutes of labor instead of the $68.08 on simple overtime.

In other words....I will make an additional $67.94 in one day for doing the same work simply by documenting my hours and faxing in a signed grievance form to the local.

There were a total of 64 such grievances filed on my center... for one week. My center paid out over $5000 in penalty pay.....for one week.

Because the idiots in Atlanta have recently mandated that my center run an impossible number of stops per car, no attempt at all is being made to honor the 9.5 or 8 hr request language in Art. 37. Instead, the company is simply paying the grievances as fast as they come in. Virtually every driver on the center is filing now, in order to "cash in" and reap the benefits of Atlanta's stupidity.

Its free money. Its there for the taking. All you have to do is file. Truthfully, I could care less whether I work 9 or 9.5 or even 10 hours....but since the company has made a business decision to cram 11 or 12 hours of work per day down everybody's throat in order to generate a metric, I am filing in order to generate my own metric...$90.68 per hour.:happy-very:

So sober, is this happening because they are cutting out routes or is volume higher than it was yast year...or maybe a combination of both. Mgt hasnt said a peep about the volume levels at ups...I have seen it go up for some accounts and others are down a bit, but overall for me it is higher...so why arent more cars being run. $5,000 would be able to run an extra car a week, right???So what gives????

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Congrats to you and your center. We had our center manager begging the drivers to file grievances so we wouldn't have to go through this ram and cram dispatch again. 4 of us filed out of 33 drivers.

Ha, your center manager was actually telling your folks to file...thats funny. Wonder if they could get in trouble for this???

soberups

So sober, is this happening because they are cutting out routes or is volume higher than it was yast year...or maybe a combination of both. Mgt hasnt said a peep about the volume levels at ups...I have seen it go up for some accounts and others are down a bit, but overall for me it is higher...so why arent more cars being run. $5,000 would be able to run an extra car a week, right???So what gives????

It is happening because some idiot in Atlanta with nothing better to do pulled a random number out of his ass and proclaimed that number to be the required average stop count per car for my center.

That number has no basis in reality. The idiot who came up with that number has probably never been to my state, let alone my building. It would not surprise me to find out that he had never managed a center or even driven a package car. Anything is possible from behind a desk.

My center "management" team is well aware of the fact that we need to dispatch more routes, but they do not have the authority to do so. They simply dispatch according to the instructions from Atlanta, and then spend all day trying to clean up the resulting mess. If you page in saying that you will be over 9.5 (as required by the contract) they respond by asking if you will be over 12 hours. Unless you will be over 12, you wont get any help.

We have drivers who get back to the building at 7:00, only to be sent right back out. The majority of our "dispatching" is done after 5:00 or 6:00 at night, according to who will be running out of DOT hours or bringing back the most missed stops. Truthfully, in the 23 years I have been a UPS employee, it is by far the most chaotic and dysfunctional operation I have ever been a part of.

I was recently transferred to this center as part of a building realignment/center consolidation. Having to work in an ongoing train wreck really bothered me at first, but now I am at peace with it. Summer is almost over, we are done with the hot weather, and I am choosing to view it as an opportunity to cash in and make a ton of money. For instance, I will make an additional $139 for my last weeks work simply by documenting my hours on a 9.5 grievance form and faxing it to the local. And that is on a 4 day workweek!!

I'm guessing that the free money train will grind to a halt once we get to October and the company can start hiring peak season drivers for cheap. And the 9.5 language does not apply in December. But until then, the meter will be running for $90.68 an hour and I am loving every minute of it.

soberups

I'm in Tualatin, but they are getting hammered in Swan Island also.

Swan Island is implementing PAS/EDD right now, so the geniuses in Atlanta chose to make an already difficult situation even worse by mandating impossible stop counts for the drivers who are already dealing with the PAS/EDD transition.

Next month will be a real hoot...my building is transferring 15 routes up to the new facility on Swan Island, and half of those routes just got put up for bid because the drivers involved didnt want to relocate. So on Monday, October 4th, the new building will open and half of the drivers who will be reporting there for their first day will be running their routes cold for a center that is (a)still trying to adapt to PAS/EDD and (b) having an impossible stops-per-car metric shoved down its throat by Atlanta.

I would pay good money just to be able to go there and sit up in the balcony with a bucket of popcorn and watch that little drama unfold......:happy-very:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We have drivers who get back to the building at 7:00, only to be sent right back out. The majority of our "dispatching" is done after 5:00 or 6:00 at night, according to who will be running out of DOT hours or bringing back the most missed stops. Truthfully, in the 23 years I have been a UPS employee, it is by far the most chaotic and dysfunctional operation I have ever been a part of.

Do you guys not have any redispatch language? In the Central the language states, No driver shall be disciplined for refusing to go back out after returning to the building from a full days work.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Do you guys not have any redispatch language? In the Central the language states, No driver shall be disciplined for refusing to go back out after returning to the building from a full days work.

I can tell you that I do NOT have the same language. I had to go back out just a couple of weeks ago, at 7:30pm. I didn't clock out until 10pm. The only recourse is to file retaliation and harassment and that is not a guaranteed win. Even if I did win it, it's a slap on the wrist. I still have to WAD. :biting:

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I can tell you that I do NOT have the same language. I had to go back out just a couple of weeks ago, at 7:30pm. I didn't clock out until 10pm. The only recourse is to file retaliation and harassment and that is not a guaranteed win. Even if I did win it, it's a slap on the wrist. I still have to WAD. :biting:

Every local supplement should have that language. I would bring that to the attention of your locals BA and President. They should be looking for input as to the upcoming contract negotiations. It geos a long ways to help get the dispatch right in the AM!! It is atricle 19 section 6 of the central region supplement.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Every local supplement should have that language. I would bring that to the attention of your locals BA and President. They should be looking for input as to the upcoming contract negotiations. It geos a long ways to help get the dispatch right in the AM!! It is atricle 19 section 6 of the central region supplement.

That is something that I will have to keep in mind. I would love to have language like that. It would benefit all of us.

soberups

We dont have that language. Instead, we do the work and grieve it and get paid $90.68 per hour for everything over 9.5 hours.

For $90.68 an hour, I am more than happy to go back out after a full day's work. Hell, for $90.68 an hour they can spank me and pull my hair and talk dirty to me if they want to. I'm not proud.:happy-very: