97 Flashback

705red

Browncafe Steward
Heres a video flashing back to the 97 strike. It is about 10 minutes and, wow how times have changed in 10 years, its also a shame that everything we gained during this time we just gave it all back.
America's Victory: The 1997 UPS Strike

browned out

Gave back and more. I would bet my little 90 year anniversary pakage car that the part time to full time ratio will grow if this agreement passes. What a reversal. Unreal

Boku41

Makes you wonder what fools in the CS states wanted UPS to leave their pension alone back then. UPS was not trying to take over their pension, only pulling out of the multi-employer pension. The Teamsters would still share in the decision making just like they will with this new agreement. There was quite a bit of misinformation about the pension in that video.

Boku41

I think the big raises we got in that video were .05$ more than what UPS offered before the strike. Did anyone ever read the offer that UPS mailed to us before we went on strike, or did we just listen to what the Teamster leaders wanted us to think UPS was offering us?

tieguy

Banned
A terrific marketing tool. It should make the many CS'ers feel good about getting screwed out of fixing the pensions in 97.

Looks like they forgot to mention Careys indictment a few days later. Probably slipped their minds.

Seems like they also forgot to mention that the contract got settled because the labor manager was threatening to releash the details of Careys indictment during the strike if he did not get it settled quickly. At that point Ronnie suddenly started negotiating in earnest to get this thing settled.

This resulted in some poorly worded very rushed combo language that took years to get cleaned up. And numerous additions to the contract that already been in the works before Carey walked out.

This resulted in CS not being fixed and therefore making severe cuts in 2003 which the latest contract offer hopes to fix.

Hoffas downfall appears to be that he himself did not create a ten minute video rewriting history. Hoffa needs to learn to stick his face in front of the camera like Carey did if he really wants to get appreciated for being a great leader. He apparently has not learned that its not the work you do but how much BS you can sling in front of a camera that makes you great.

Last edited:

ihadit

Heres a video flashing back to the 97 strike. It is about 10 minutes and, wow how times have changed in 10 years, its also a shame that everything we gained during this time we just gave it all back.
YouTube - America's Victory: The 1997 UPS Strike
Great video. Thanks Red, Hope it enlightens alot of people to the powers we have when we stand as one. Hopefully management learns from their mistakes so history doesn't have to repeat itself. The public still loves and respects their union workers; thats who they see everyday working, not some TIE wearing pencil pusher hiding in his cubicle with his mouse!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Originally Posted by satellitedriver
Good teamster video.
Thanks for reaffirming why I quit the teamsters in 97'.
What a crock.

I assume you are still making the 1997 wage or are you only against the Teamsters when it suits you.

browned out

Originally Posted by satellitedriver
Good teamster video.
Thanks for reaffirming why I quit the teamsters in 97'.
What a crock.

I assume you are still making the 1997 wage or are you only against the Teamsters when it suits you.

OR maybe the issues played a part.

I have voted both dem and rep bases on the issues. So I think he can go against the Teamsters if they are not addressing the issues he needs addressed.

705red

Browncafe Steward
OR maybe the issues played a part.

I have voted both dem and rep bases on the issues. So I think he can go against the Teamsters if they are not addressing the issues he needs addressed.
He withdrew from the teamsters and crossed the line in 97, so the teamsters dont have to address anything on his behalf or owe him anything.

satellitedriver

Whats the matter? Do you get nervous when you see your ex- brothers and sisters striking for everyone, while you crossed and still make out for not sacraficing a thing.
Yeah, it did make me a little nervous. I had flashbacks about Ron Careys Brylcreme hairdo.
Mike Moore would be proud of the editing and obviscation of facts in the video.
What really spooked me out was that I had just watched a propaganda film from Germany in 1939, about the evil Jews.
No real correlation between the two, except for the fact, both were produced to instill an emotional response, not based on fact.
The strike happened, that's a fact.
Why it happened, there in lies the truth.