a couple questions regarding future employment

sorefeet

I was hired as a seasonal driver this October. When I applied I let HR & my center manager know that I have another job that runs from Feb-May that I do every year but if my peak driving worked out I would like to come back for summer peak.
This morning one of my sups called me into his office & asked me if I was considering staying with UPS long term. He told me I should take a perm PT position to "get my foot in the door" & to talk to my center manager.
My center manager told me they have a spot on preload for me after peak that I could work until my other job ends & then I could sign the TCD sheet & start driving again once volume picks up in the spring/summer. He said by going this route I would have benefits, better pay & be starting my driver progression & in the future if I decided to give up my other job we could talk about a FT position down the line.

( I know I should of asked my center manager these questions & not the internet but all I could think to say was "sounds great!, thank you" haha )

What rate of pay do TCD's earn in the Northeast?
Do TCD's really start progression? I thought only FT drivers earned that?
Is this a good sign for me if I want to drive FT eventually or do they offer anyone with a pulse the same deal for hard to fill preload positions?
Do TCD's have any kind of seniority over seasonal drivers?
Any draw back that anyone can think of by going this route? ( besides having to work preload? )

Thanks

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was hired as a seasonal driver this October. When I applied I let HR & my center manager know that I have another job that runs from Feb-May that I do every year but if my peak driving worked out I would like to come back for summer peak.
This morning one of my sups called me into his office & asked me if I was considering staying with UPS long term. He told me I should take a perm PT position to "get my foot in the door" & to talk to my center manager.
My center manager told me they have a spot on preload for me after peak that I could work until my other job ends & then I could sign the TCD sheet & start driving again once volume picks up in the spring/summer. He said by going this route I would have benefits, better pay & be starting my driver progression & in the future if I decided to give up my other job we could talk about a FT position down the line.

( I know I should of asked my center manager these questions & not the internet but all I could think to say was "sounds great!, thank you" haha )

What rate of pay do TCD's earn in the Northeast?
Do TCD's really start progression? I thought only FT drivers earned that?
Is this a good sign for me if I want to drive FT eventually or do they offer anyone with a pulse the same deal for hard to fill preload positions?
Do TCD's have any kind of seniority over seasonal drivers?
Any draw back that anyone can think of by going this route? ( besides having to work preload? )

Thanks
A tcd means they can dangle a carrot in front of you for years before you get on full time...personally it's on of the biggest give backs that the union has agreed to

PT Car Washer

Doesn't TCD mean temporary cover driver? I think the name says it all. You will be a PT preloader until the day they want you to drive.

BrownTexas

If u can live off preload pay then go for it. But next expect to drive. If u get to then great. But don't count on it.

sorefeet

No, I can't live off preload pay. Is the summer peak not as busy? I drove almost every day during winter peak not sure why I wouldn't be driving again instead of a new seasonal?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yep every local that has TCD should vote no until that language is taken out.
That language hasn't always been in the contract or supplements. .does anyone know when it started to be changed...Some areas only have ft cut drivers and then regular route drivers..The way it should be

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
No, I can't live off preload pay. Is the summer peak not as busy? I drove almost every day during winter peak not sure why I wouldn't be driving again instead of a new seasonal?

.....it's just summer. It's not called "Summer Peak"lol. You would get stwady work come June 1, til December 31, after which tine you'd be shoved back to the preload until June 1 of that year

Faceplanted

They are getting ready to send back all cover drivers and possibly lay off a cpl full time guys in the coming weeks. Honestly don't expect a full time driving position for 4-6 years and once that comes that is when you will start your progression which takes another 4 years to top out. Summer peak is non exhistant in my hub. If u can find another part time job to work while on preload than I would take the chance. They are dangling the proverbial carrot in front of you like they do to most cover guys. Also remember that even though you will be a "cover driver" every single other cover drive will be ahead of you seniority wise.

9.5er

I was a TCD for 3 years before getting hired on FT. I worked the evening shift (Reload) and drove Sat. air during slow times of year. If preload hours do not interfere with your other job I say go for it. You do get decent benefits by working part time.
Unless it has changed you do work toward your progression while driving as a TCD. When I got hired on FT I already had 18 months toward top pay. But this was before the 4 year progression was put into the contract.

PT Car Washer

That's the way it is here.
Just like in my building. The Union does allow Art 22.3 Air drivers and air exception drivers to deliver and pick up ground as long as they pay them top driver rate and the company does not abuse the practice. The company will try to get away with it as long as they can.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Just like in my building. The Union does allow Art 22.3 Air drivers and air exception drivers to deliver and pick up ground as long as they pay them top driver rate and the company does not abuse the practice. The company will try to get away with it as long as they can.
We rarely use air drivers to deliver ground. If they use an air driver for 30 days out of 90 they must hire another FT driver.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
That language hasn't always been in the contract or supplements. .does anyone know when it started to be changed...Some areas only have ft cut drivers and then regular route drivers..The way it should be
I believe it started with the 2008 contract when the single vacation days for drivers started. UPS needed a way to cover the SVD, so they implemented TCD.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I believe it started with the 2008 contract when the single vacation days for drivers started. UPS needed a way to cover the SVD, so they implemented TCD.
I don't think every area has the individual vacation days..it's not out west in my area but I like the idea especially when you can't even get an optional day

PT Car Washer

I don't think every area has the individual vacation days..it's not out west in my area but I like the idea especially when you can't even get an optional day
Central Region has the language for SVD coverage drivers but my building has never implemented it into route planning. We use Air drivers instead and pay them top driver rate.

upschuck

Central Region has the language for SVD coverage drivers but my building has never implemented it into route planning. We use Air drivers instead and pay them top driver rate.
Same here, we were wondering if they'd bid any utility drivers anymore, but they have done so, so fears in this case were unfounded.