a little help?

L

LeeRoyBrown

I hear guys say they arent taking heavy stuff off the top shelf its out of their power zone. In my case, do i stop and call for help sit and wait? do i stop call for help and then continue on until help arrives? idk this contract is to long for me

Cementups

Box Monkey
Only an idiot loader would put something too heavy on the top shelf.
That being said, if I am at a commercial stop I have no qualms about asking an employee there for a hand if I deem something too heavy to left myself be it on the floor or on the shelf. But the only time you can really call and ask for help is if it is an O/70. If that's the case, it shouldn't be on the shelf anyway.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
We get idiot loaders that do that nonsense every freakin day. Perfect example of how the dol don't work at all. Precisely the reason why I reload my truck everyday. Im not playing the idiot loader or idiot dispatchers game. Its like you gotta babysit them every morning cause they cant do their jobs right and aren't trained right. They should prey to god im not in supervision, id make them look like idiots. I would show them what a true leader really is and show them what its like to have a tremendous work ethic not a sorry half :censored2: work ethic and simply not caring about how they do their job. I just don't get it myself having a poor work ethic and not caring about how you do your job. I guess im old school bout it lol.

you aint even know it

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We get idiot loaders that do that nonsense every freakin day. Perfect example of how the dol don't work at all. Precisely the reason why I reload my truck everyday. Im not playing the idiot loader or idiot dispatchers game. Its like you gotta babysit them every morning cause they cant do their jobs right and aren't trained right. They should prey to god im not in supervision, id make them look like idiots. I would show them what a true leader really is and show them what its like to have a tremendous work ethic not a sorry half :censored2: work ethic and simply not caring about how they do their job. I just don't get it myself having a poor work ethic and not caring about how you do your job. I guess im old school bout it lol.

Then I'll file harassment grievances and supervisor working.

FilingBluesFL

I remember when we used to get all the paper through us (down here that's stopped quite a bit, unless it's the smaller dot matrix connected ribbon paper stuff). Idiots would load the paper up onto the top shelf... and if it were in an old P8 with that step down low rear deck... almost impossible to get that crap down!

It never ceases to amaze me how common sense just goes out the window with these loaders. I see them walk a 20-30 piece bulk stop of things that are anywhere from 30-50lbs per package, from the back of the package car, all the way up to the front. WHY???? Why make more work for yourself???? Chuck that crap in the back corner, it ain't no big deal!

There's one guy we deliver to, that's a residential stop. He gets these boxes about 2.5 feet long, just filled with old paper maps for all kinds of parks around the state. When they come, it's usually about a 15 piece stop... the idiot loader throws them up on the middle or top shelf, wherever the stupid sticker tells them "where to put it."

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What is a load stand?

A load stand is a fragile parcel a loader uses to get up to the top part of the trailer. Place parcel or parcels, in front of you and step up as needed. Take a guitar box for instance, very often seen with big footprints on the side of box, because someone walked over top of it.

By the way, well trained, professional drivers instinctively know to turn the box so the footprint faces away from the receiving customer.

laffter

How many of you drivers talk to your preloaders? Do you give them suggestions on how to make the load better or tell them what they're doing wrong (and give tips on how to improve)? I'm sure some of you do, and I'm sure it goes in one ear and out the other most of the time- and I know it's not your job to train them.

However, pt time sups don't care or don't know how to train them. So if you expect a good result out of someone who isn't doing so well, it's up to you to advise them on what should go where.

I used to load a particular route in my area. Every now and then I help (whoever happens to be loading it that day) wrap up that truck. One day, recently, I asked the driver if he wanted me to load the rest of the stuff or just sort and have him load it himself. He said I would do a better job at it than he could. I like this driver, but that tells me he doesn't really know how to load his own truck. He basically wants everything loaded by PAL. There are some drivers who don't communicate at all. They can't tell their preloader how to do a better job. They only know when it's good and when it sucks. So basically, nobody is training this preloader. Their sups are pushing them for production, while their drivers and pushing them for load quality without any helpful advice.

In conclusion, if you don't talk to your preloader- you have no right to complain. If you do, then you're welcome to bitch and moan, because I do know there are are plenty of those who just don't care, or are too stupid to listen.

On my belt we have one route who's driver typically comes in after all of us have left. I'm often one of the last preloaders out of the building, and I always see him on my way out. This guy delivers a very heavy bulk route with a few medical buildings on it. How is a preloader even supposed to talk to this guy about improving the load quality when he comes in so late? Management doesn't know anything about anything when it comes to loading these routes.

rod

Retired 22 years
I always found that gravity was a drivers best friend when it came to getting heavy stuff off the shelf. Just make sure to run like hell when it starts falling.

Ouch

Only an idiot loader would put something too heavy on the top shelf.
That being said, if I am at a commercial stop I have no qualms about asking an employee there for a hand if I deem something too heavy to left myself be it on the floor or on the shelf. But the only time you can really call and ask for help is if it is an O/70. If that's the case, it shouldn't be on the shelf anyway.
Hey bud be careful doing this. There is a double standard within ups about getting help from your customer. If your customer doesn't get hurt in the back of your truck helping you get the ata boy. If the customer gets injured in the back of your truck you get fired for not following methods and allowing a member of the general public in you truck. Just be careful.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Hey bud be careful doing this. There is a double standard within ups about getting help from your customer. If your customer doesn't get hurt in the back of your truck helping you get the ata boy. If the customer gets injured in the back of your truck you get fired for not following methods and allowing a member of the general public in you truck. Just be careful.

Golly mister, thanks. I just started yesterday so I never realized any of this.

Oh, and you're wrong.

BMWSauber1991

Let me know when you make .20 cents over minimum wage and then we can talk about how well you do YOUR job.

Ouch

Golly mister, thanks. I just started yesterday so I never realized any of this.

Oh, and you're wrong.
How am I wrong. If your customer gets hurt in the back of your truck, and ups investigates it, there going to ask you why he was in the back of your package car, and you tell them he was helping you, there will be two questions asked. The first question is why was he in your truck, the second is going to be where is your load stand. If you think they are your buddies and will stand up for you go right ahead and let people in your truck. Be sure and post how to get your job back when they fire you for having a non ups employee getting hurt in your truck.

Cementups

Box Monkey
How am I wrong. If your customer gets hurt in the back of your truck, and ups investigates it, there going to ask you why he was in the back of your package car, and you tell them he was helping you, there will be two questions asked. The first question is why was he in your truck, the second is going to be where is your load stand. If you think they are your buddies and will stand up for you go right ahead and let people in your truck. Be sure and post how to get your job back when they fire you for having a non ups employee getting hurt in your truck.

Over 100 routes in our building and I don't know a single package car that has a load stand in it. Even so, I don't even know what one looks like that I would even recognize it if I did see one. The only thing in the back of our package cars are hand trucks.
When I was trained as a driver I was told to ask for help from the customer if possible. Then if there was no one available to help, to call in and ask for assistance.
The rest of what you said.......we'll cross that bridge if and when it would ever arise. I've never heard of it happening before where a non UPSer get hurt on our "property" and the driver gets fired. Maybe I'll get to be the first.

laffter

I don't even know what one looks like

Something similar to this, but less fancy:

kqcFcB4.jpg
kqcFcB4.jpg

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Let me know when you make .20 cents over minimum wage and then we can talk about how well you do YOUR job.
Totally don't get that comment, don't make sense to me but if it makes sense to you word to ya bro lol. I know I do my job well aint no doubt about it son. Tremendous work ethic.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Something similar to this, but less fancy:

View attachment 9926

I've never seen anyone use those to help load a package car. Ours are all around to merely act as steps up onto belts and boxlines. I wouldn't deem this to be safe in a package car. I'm supposed to use a handrail to get in and out of my truck, but I guess I don't need a handrail while climbing up and down a set of these while retrieving a heavy package off the shelf. Seems like a double standard to me.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Those stands are what smurfs use to reach the 1000 shelf where ups wants you you start the route. Stupid stupid idea ups. I use the 2000 shelf as my selection shelf all day and the shelf across from it. Your 2 top shelf are the biggest shelves in the truck. In my world their used for residential storage. Those are the shelves you put your late afternoon resies on. You can put the most amount of packages up their to the roof super tight and use the floors for bulk and to keep as much off the floor as possible. Safety first remember lol. I to this day don't get why in the hell they want you to use the 1000 shelf to start your day. Freakin idiot idea if you ask me. The idiot who loads my truck is always like wow man it looks good in there how did you make it look so empty in there? My response to him is the idiot supervisors don't train you guys right. I tell them its all good I aint mad at ya. If your not trained right your not going to do the job right. I don't act like a jerk about it cause I don't roll like that word!