A sad conversation with my helper today...

Marne Vet

Today we were talking about the upcoming Holidays while I was sorting. He told me that his gf, that he just moved in with, was laid-off as a nurse. She's really depressed, as is he. She has a 9 y/o son that he treats like his own, and both of them don't know how they're gonna make their bills now, let alone have a Christmas for their son. It was extremely depressing to listen to. I made-up my mind that I'm gonna do something for them to help them out for Christmas. I'll get him something for his gf, and grab a few things for their son, plus give him a nice little cash bonus on the last day as a thank you. I know the stress he's going through. Been there once myself. I'm used to having really crappy helpers and never keep them long enough to get to know them, but can't help feeling bad for this guy. So far he's always on time, and hasn't complained once. That right there is a helper miracle. Tomorrow we're expecting more snow, and one of our Peak Days should happen too. Oh yay, can't wait. Update you guys more as peak goes on. ~MV

PT Car Washer

I would think that a nurse could get a job just about anywhere. Maybe with your pull you could get him a job in the hub (if you work out of a hub) or the center. You can not solve everyone's problems.

Marne Vet

I would think that a nurse could get a job just about anywhere. Maybe with your pull you could get him a job in the hub (if you work out of a hub) or the center. You can not solve everyone's problems.

I will try, but now-a-days our pull as drivers isn't as strong as it was back when we turned in the green referral cards.

I can't solve the World's problems, or all of his, but I can make them a little happier than they would've been if I did nothing. KCCO

oldngray

nowhere special
Nursing jobs aren't as easily available as you might think. My sister is a nurse and her department was shut down. She had option to move to ER but that would be too physically demanding on her (she has MS). She is able to work in another department but not getting enough hours to qualify for insurance (which she very much needs).

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I agree an actual nurse not a CNA or something should be able to find a job.

However my wife ran into problems finding a job because of obamacare. Hospitals don't want to do anything until they figure out just exactly what obamacare will entail.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My niece just passed her RN board and is working at her aunt's Casey's store(regional convince store) until something opens up.
Surprising. In my experience 90% or more get their first job at their clinical location or a place they worked as a tech while in school.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Today we were talking about the upcoming Holidays while I was sorting. He told me that his gf, that he just moved in with, was laid-off as a nurse. She's really depressed, as is he. She has a 9 y/o son that he treats like his own, and both of them don't know how they're gonna make their bills now, let alone have a Christmas for their son. It was extremely depressing to listen to. I made-up my mind that I'm gonna do something for them to help them out for Christmas. I'll get him something for his gf, and grab a few things for their son, plus give him a nice little cash bonus on the last day as a thank you. I know the stress he's going through. Been there once myself. I'm used to having really crappy helpers and never keep them long enough to get to know them, but can't help feeling bad for this guy. So far he's always on time, and hasn't complained once. That right there is a helper miracle. Tomorrow we're expecting more snow, and one of our Peak Days should happen too. Oh yay, can't wait. Update you guys more as peak goes on. ~MV
Your a good dude Marne, mad respect to you brother. Exactly why society is so stricken with selfishness. You like me have a big heart to help people. Thats a great characteristic to have no matter what anyone tells you. Just wanted to let you know i have great respect for that.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Most people just dont know what their true calling in life is. People just taking up space. If you know what your true calling in life is then you have found the objective of your journey here that the good lord put you here to do. No im not a religious fanatic but just put some thought into that and ask yourself why am i here and what do i want to accomplish with my heart, mind and soul. Most people will never find the spiritual side to their existence. Food for thought people. :wink2:

gingerkat

Jump, honestly I like your thoughts and positive vibes… but I wonder what "food" you're eating to make you so giddy all the time? Damn son, whats up?:wink2:

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just a real dude, an average joe who came up with nothing. Learned as i went to be thankful for what i have and respect people. Just try to be the best person i can be in everything i do. Sometimes in life you have to do extra things that you may not want to do but they may be things that help you or others. An open mind and an open heart. People just dont get it what lifes really about. So much selfishness and hate in the world it kills me. Im high on life sorta speak because everyday ive learned new things and learned to open my eyes to things that when i was younger i didnt understand.But as ive gotten older i now realize these things as to what these things now mean. :laughing2: You should always try to help others, but either you want to or you dont. A little extra effort in anything, last time i checked aint going to kill ya. Leftover pasta i ate actually lol.

Marne Vet

Just a real dude, an average joe who came up with nothing. Learned as i went to be thankful for what i have and respect people. Just try to be the best person i can be in everything i do. Sometimes in life you have to do extra things that you may not want to do but they may be things that help you or others. An open mind and an open heart. People just dont get it what lifes really about. So much selfishness and hate in the world it kills me. Im high on life sorta speak because everyday ive learned new things and learned to open my eyes to things that when i was younger i didnt understand.But as ive gotten older i now realize these things as to what these things now mean. :laughing2: You should always try to help others, but either you want to or you dont. A little extra effort in anything, last time i checked aint going to kill ya. Leftover pasta i ate actually lol.

I found a wedding band in a package car I had never used before about 2 months ago. It wasn't a center car. I checked the DVIR and didn't recognize the last name, and only saw that the first name was the same as mine. This guy was using the truck daily. I called my center manager, and he told me it was an air drivers car, and maybe the Shuttle driver lost it. I called my Steward and he knew the guy and had his number. He called him and found out that it was indeed his, and that he must've lost it on Friday, because his wife noticed it on Saturday night. He was freaking out. Got his number, and called him. Told him it would be in the center manager's office so he could grab it the next day. Some people have asked me why I didn't "keep it", or "pawn it". Sure, I could've gotten some money for it, but knowing I returned it, and the feeling I got returning it was more than the money it was worth. He gave me a Wawa card for $25 the following day, which was very nice and totally unexpected. He said to me "I'm proud to be a driver knowing I work with guys like you", and those words mean more to me than anything. Why we do things is as simple as realizing that we all would like people to do the same for us if need be. That's how I live. You can't expect a better world unless you live your life like it already exists. This was the second ring I found and returned in 2013. The first was a high school ring lost 20 years ago that I found metal detecting. The guy who lost it? Friends with my younger cousins, AND, went to the same high school as me!!!! That's what happens she you hunt a patch of ground where we always had parties back in the day lol. Plus, it used to be a site that had a Grand Stand on it 150 years ago. Win win! :)

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just hard to find real people in this world you would go to war with sorta speak. Someone who is going to be there to help you know matter what the circumstances. Those are the people who are the true leaders in life. Am i perfect, hell no. But what i do know is im going to try my hardest to help family and people i respect, or to those who i can help in a time of need. Its just the right thing to do a a compassionate, and good person. Im not out for what can you do for me, i have everything i pretty much ever wanted in life and then some. Just remember theres always someone who has it alot worse than you. I was told that as a young age and it always stuck with me.

Marne Vet

You're a better man that I am Marne. I'd be hard pressed to help that much. I'm too selfish for my own good.

I'm not a better person at all. I can afford to do it, and have a soft spot for people that need help. Guess that's why I really believed in serving my country, and that doing so helped. Don't get me wrong, I often ignore a lot of the panhandlers on my trip. Not because I don't give them a dollar here and there, but day in and day out they give me the same "I have to catch a bus" story, and they're standing in the same spot every day. I don't like to be lied to. Be honest. Tell me you're broke and hungry, and I'll buy you lunch. I live across the street from a Wawa. On Saturday I ran over to grab a hoagie. There was a younger guy sitting on the ground. I said "Hey, what's up" as I was walking to the door. He said "Not much when you're homeless. Just sitting here freezing my ass off". Didn't ask me for anything, but that hit me pretty hard. He was honest, and wasn't pushy. I came out and gave him $5 and told him to get something hot to eat. Was he for real? Who knows. I could've been a sucker, but in my mind I helped a guy out that needed it. $5 won't break me.

FilingBluesFL

If I had a $1 for every sob story I've heard from a helper...

I ditched the retarded fat kid today, and put to work the dude that was in between jobs that REALLY needed the money.

Me: "What are you doing this weekend fat handicapped helper?"
Fat kid: "Probly going to Disney World."

I asked the GOOD helper what he did this past weekend, "Couldn't afford to do anything, so I went hunting and got myself dinner for a little while." As he ate a peanut butter jelly sammich.

I've got respect for the good helper, for sure. He's a good dude.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
A good person with a good heart should get great pleasure of helping someone. If thats the type of person you are, there shouldnt be a second thought about it. It should come to ya in a blink of an eye. That means you get what lifes about. No games, no BS, just the realness of the person you are. I had a customer tell me today he had stage 4 lung cancer. And to be totally honest its been tearing me up all day with sadness. Just sucks cause hes just a good, good human being. You hate to see good people suffer. Ive hung out with him on numerous occasions and his daughter is friends with my wife. So its hitting a lil bit closer to home.