About combo shifts

coolerguy

I've been working with ups for almost a year and a half now, and recently just started signing the bid list for extra shifts. Anyways, I heard that if you become a full time double shifter, after two years you get bumped up to top pay, which i hear its somewhere around 22-23 an hour. But the only downside besides getting more hours is you won't get a raise in between those two years. Is this true?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I've been working with ups for almost a year and a half now, and recently just started signing the bid list for extra shifts. Anyways, I heard that if you become a full time double shifter, after two years you get bumped up to top pay, which i hear its somewhere around 22-23 an hour. But the only downside besides getting more hours is you won't get a raise in between those two years. Is this true?

You are misunderstanding the concept of full-time employees and double shifting.

Double shifting is a part-time employee working two part-time shifts. This is especially common around christmas or when part-time employees call out on a shift and supervisors need extra help.
A full-time combo employee has a specific bid which was created out of the 1997 contract and beyond and has full-time rights such as 40 hours, one skilled and one unskilled job and are consecutive shifts. It is described in article 22 section 3 in the master agreement.
So if you SIGN a 22.3 FULL-TIME bid and complete 30 work day progression, after 3 years (2 years previously), you can reach a top rate of 22.97 (not including future raises) for inside work.

As a part-time double shifting employee you will never see the top rate pay because you are not on the full-time list doing double shifting. You are on the part-time seniority list.

The full-time jobs are not easy to come by and 98% of the time require at least 4 or 5 years of part-time seniority to have enough juice to be assigned the bid and successfuly complete the 30 work days. If you ever see a true full-time job opening on your board, put your name up on it regardless if other more senior people also put their name up. You never know if the bid will slide down to you. It took me 5 years of part-time work to have enough seniority to have a chance at a full-time inside job.

And regarding the full-time progression, yes you will be stuck at $14.50 to $16.50 for the 3 years until the progression ends, then be bumped up to top rate (which in 3 years will be roughly $25/hr)

coolerguy

Thank you Sleeve for clarifying that information. I was a little confused how the combo thing worked. But do you keep your current job, which in my case is a loader, then they pick the second job for you? Or is it, they pick two jobs for you as a combination?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Thank you Sleeve for clarifying that information. I was a little confused how the combo thing worked. But do you keep your current job, which in my case is a loader, then they pick the second job for you? Or is it, they pick two jobs for you as a combination?

From experience, in 2003 (small building), I double shifted part -time, that I was working preload on the AM shift and unloading trucks on the PM. it's whatever they want you to do.

If you are talking about friend/T combo jobs, they pick both jobs for you. You can keep the part-time job you were doing some of the time if the company likes you, but it's WAD for both shifts. Usually one job is easier such as ECS clerical, car wash, air driving etc - and the other is "hub" or "local sort" or "preload" where you're humping packages. Not every combo job is the same and depends on the person, the operation and the needs of the company.