About Leaving Driving for Preload...Is this possible?

jimmyjds

So i am a seniority swing driver with about 1.25 years in as a driver. Two weeks ago i was called to work only 10 hours. The week after I worked only 2 hours as a driver. This isn't paying the bills. I have three hungry mouths to feed besides my wife and I. I found another full time job that will give me guaranteed 40 hours, but the benefits package isn't that great. I wanted to go back to preload to keep the benefits and then work the full time job. My driver supervisor said that wasn't allowed. If i don't drive, i can't work at UPS. Is this how it is?

HardknocksUPSer

So i am a seniority swing driver with about 1.25 years in as a driver. Two weeks ago i was called to work only 10 hours. The week after I worked only 2 hours as a driver. This isn't paying the bills. I have three hungry mouths to feed besides my wife and I. I found another full time job that will give me guaranteed 40 hours, but the benefits package isn't that great. I wanted to go back to preload to keep the benefits and then work the full time job. My driver supervisor said that wasn't allowed. If i don't drive, i can't work at UPS. Is this how it is?
Why can't you bump back into the building to get your guaranteed hours?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I think if a preloader quits or one gets moved up you could bump back in? But the best thing to do would be to remain a driver! The first few years are tough but its worth it IMO. You can collect unemployment you know...

upschuck

Don't know if you can pick your sort, but you can "bump" 2pt with less company seniority.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

In the Central, once you go FT you cannot go back to PT permenantly.

You can bump 2 PTers temporarily while you are laid off as long as you have more company seniority.

You can also collect unemployment for the difference in the money you make per week and the max unemployment benefits, and still keep your insurance as long as you work 1 hour a week. (If you are in Teamcare)

You can also quit and try to be rehired PT. You will lose all seniority and start from square one as a new hire.

The options are there. You're probably going to have to choose one of them.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I've seen a few drivers in this spot quit, and then the one that replaces them works constantly because a more senior driver retires and then the flood gates open. Hang in there, even if you need to try some of the other above suggestions in the meantime. Many of us spent years waiting to work all week long. Once it starts you'll wish for a nice one or two day week but that will be gone forever.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Thanks all...just quit my other full time job to let UPS string me along a while longer.

I delivered pizza, drove a bus for seniors (and learned the layout of the town in the process) and hung blinds for a paint store while I waited. None of those provided the health or retirement bennies I was stacking up at UPS the whole time. Hang in there.

MendozaJ

I know a guy that had enough of driving, went back to preload, and got a degree, courtesy of UPS. Ask HR. Sups can never give a straight answer.

You have to ask yourself how secure is the other job and how much you expect to be earning in 10 years.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The difference being I will keep my daily guarantee, company seniority, benefits and pension while losing much of the stress and reducing the wear and tear on my body.

I am still debating whether the $5-6/hr pay cut is worth it.

But, you are still moving into an unknown (for you) job.

What if you don't like it? Does your local supplement give you the option of backing out of the move once you make it?