About to receive offer letter for courier position

FedExNW

I've only been at FedEx 3 months (as a Handler) and this position was posted with a waiver. It's full-time, swing. The hiring manager in the email said that my current manager needs to verify my JCA, and then he will request my MVR. After that clears, he will send me an offer letter.

What's the deal with JCA and MVR? Anything I need to be concerned about?

I feel like this is a position I can't pass on. It could be a couple years before the next desirable one comes along with as few points as I have...

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Your MVR is your driving record. In my state, we get points if you get moving violations. As long as you don't have too many points you are fine. The JCA is what you applied for in the computer. Your current manager is supposed to approve it. Sometimes you have to remind them.

While a full time swing isn't really a desirable position, with only three months in, it's the best way to become full time. Good luck! Get ready to to have no life. Lol.

Purplepackage

Once you start training hopefully they let you run with a veteran for awhile, they will show you the right way to do the job. I trained with a guy who's been there for more than 20 years for 2 weeks and now I'm in courier school and I know how to sift through all the bull:censored2: they are telling people. These trainers act like you have a half hour to do a pick up

Maui

JCA = Job Change Application. Your manager will get emails to approve and if s/he doesn't it will be automatically approved after about a week. Since it is posted with a waiver and you have only been there 3 months, it is possible that the manager or senior could deny the JCA. S/he would be being a jerk though an it is rare if you are being promoted.

MVR = Motor Vehicle Record. They look for points or safety concerns in the last 3 years like running red lights or stop signs etc. If your record is clean no worries.

Starting as a FT swing will be challenging. Ask for a macbook from the hiring manager or buy your own. It will make your life easier if you have a phone to look up the really hard to find stops. Ask for help with setting up the route, either from an experienced courier on the route or a manager. Any decent manager will run a route trace of the way the normal driver runs the route to help you out.

YOU WILL GET FRUSTRATED. THERE WILL BE TIMES YOU RUN A ROUTE BLIND. Just take it one stop at a time, ask for help in the building and as early as possible on route. Without any courier knowledge it will take you a longer to just learn how to be a courier. If there are FT pickup routes those are easier because all the stops are listed in the powerpad.

Good luck.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If you're gonna be a full-time swing, don't worry about achieving the precious numbers this company so much desires. Get your feet wet first. Learn the areas. If you hear any crap about stops per hour or that stupid gap report, ask for a checkride on every route and while you're riding with your manager kindly remind him that the company will fire him first before they get to the drivers. Good luck.

l22

I've only been a courier for a few years - PT but what I've learned so far is just follow the best methods book you are given. No running, no speeding and safety first. It may seem obvious but the most important thing is not getting in any accidents what so ever. In my experience management has shown no mercy when it comes to dealing with a new courier getting into an accident. You will have lates and it's not the end of the :censored2:ing world no matter how much management may make it seem like it is - lates happen... Just put safety first. Anytime a manager tries to question you about something you are doing on road in regards to stops-per-hour and gaps, ask them to please show you how to do it better by taking a checkride with you/running the route and having you watch and they won't be able to do :censored2:. In my opinion, it's not a bad idea to keep a notebook with you where you can take notes about particular things which happened that day (on the road and in-station). Anytime you bring something to a manager's attention make sure you write down when you made them aware of whatever you did, so that when they attempt to build their case against you, you are able to build yours as well by having a record of when they said what they did. There may be some older employees who disagree with some of this stuff and that is fine.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've only been a courier for a few years - PT but what I've learned so far is just follow the best methods book you are given. No running, no speeding and safety first. It may seem obvious but the most important thing is not getting in any accidents what so ever. In my experience management has shown no mercy when it comes to dealing with a new courier getting into an accident. You will have lates and it's not the end of the :censored2:ing world no matter how much management may make it seem like it is - lates happen... Just put safety first. Anytime a manager tries to question you about something you are doing on road in regards to stops-per-hour and gaps, ask them to please show you how to do it better by taking a checkride with you/running the route and having you watch and they won't be able to do :censored2:. In my opinion, it's not a bad idea to keep a notebook with you where you can take notes about particular things which happened that day (on the road and in-station). Anytime you bring something to a manager's attention make sure you write down when you made them aware of whatever you did, so that when they attempt to build their case against you, you are able to build yours as well by having a record of when they said what they did. There may be some older employees who disagree with some of this stuff and that is fine.

I'm a senior employee and I agree with you. Dot your "i's", cross your "t's", have no accidents, and you can't be touched. Most importantly, CYA at all times with a notebook (if necessary), as he mentioned.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm a senior employee and I agree with you. Dot your "i's", cross your "t's", have no accidents, and you can't be touched. Most importantly, CYA at all times with a notebook (if necessary), as he mentioned.

I agree, but only to a point. If FedEx has a hard-on for you, they will get rid of you. It doesn't matter whether or not it's legal, and that's where the attorneys enter the picture.

It will be fine

I agree, but only to a point. If FedEx has a hard-on for you, they will get rid of you. It doesn't matter whether or not it's legal, and that's where the attorneys enter the picture.
All the more reason to keep notes. Trying to remember threatening conversations years later can be hard. Document everything. I send myself emails instead of carrying a notebook. Makes it easy to search an organize if the need arises.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
All the more reason to keep notes. Trying to remember threatening conversations years later can be hard. Document everything. I send myself emails instead of carrying a notebook. Makes it easy to search an organize if the need arises.

Yes, but my point is that if they really want you, you're done. Documentation is critical, especially if you need to sue them.

l22

I have heard this too but have not seen it happen without there being some kind of falsification from an employee, stealing, fighting, etc. But I am curious to know what are some examples you know of where this happened? I think it's best that we all know when these kinds of things have happened - them getting rid of someone like you said.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have heard this too but have not seen it happen without there being some kind of falsification from an employee, stealing, fighting, etc. But I am curious to know what are some examples you know of where this happened? I think it's best that we all know when these kinds of things have happened - them getting rid of someone like you said.

Countless examples of employees being set-up, or just plain lies from management. It happens all the time, and has been happening for many years. You're new, so you don't see it. Eventually, you'll understand.

l22

Countless examples of employees being set-up, or just plain lies from management. It happens all the time, and has been happening for many years. You're new, so you don't see it. Eventually, you'll understand.

Yeah it seems like these things hide in the shadows and everyone just moves on but keeps them in some unspeakable place. Slowly, I feel like every station I work at reveals more and more really messed up things that have happened as the years went by just like in The Shining lol.

FedExNW

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm pretty hard core (ex military) but am careful to be respectful and humble around management. Seems to work so far. They know I take my sh$& seriously when so many others seem more into complaining and half-assing.

STFXG

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm pretty hard core (ex military) but am careful to be respectful and humble around management. Seems to work so far. They know I take my sh$& seriously when so many others seem more into complaining and half-assing.
You have the wrong attitude for express. Complaining and half-assing is the norm