Access Point Nightmares - Please help with information!

biz_owner

My business has been a UPS only shipper for the past 17 years. Until now, we've chosen UPS because we knew our shipments would get to our customers on time. Now the Access Point program is ruining my reputation and costing us money in refunds to angry customers. If someone can't help me to opt out of this program completely, we will be forced to move to another carrier before the upcoming busy season.

I've read posts in this forum that say that the shipper has the right to opt out of AP deliveries. Let me tell you that I've never been able to find ANY information about this option anywhere. My rep says that he's flagged all of our shipper numbers to not deliver to APs, but it seems that I am getting more and more customer complaints.

All I want is to ensure that the packages we ship are delivered to the address on the label. That's it. Not for an extra charge, either.

What do I need to do as a shipper to get out of the Access Point program permanently? Please help!

Turdferguson

Just a turd
All I want is to ensure that the packages we ship are delivered to the address on the label. That's it. Not for an extra charge, eithe
UPS has a direct delivery option that states that the package can only be delivered to that address, but I believe there is a fee for that. Ask you rep if it is possible to waive that fee

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
My business has been a UPS only shipper for the past 17 years. Until now, we've chosen UPS because we knew our shipments would get to our customers on time. Now the Access Point program is ruining my reputation and costing us money in refunds to angry customers. If someone can't help me to opt out of this program completely, we will be forced to move to another carrier before the upcoming busy season.

I've read posts in this forum that say that the shipper has the right to opt out of AP deliveries. Let me tell you that I've never been able to find ANY information about this option anywhere. My rep says that he's flagged all of our shipper numbers to not deliver to APs, but it seems that I am getting more and more customer complaints.

All I want is to ensure that the packages we ship are delivered to the address on the label. That's it. Not for an extra charge, either.

What do I need to do as a shipper to get out of the Access Point program permanently? Please help!
Copy and paste to UPS Facebook, let them explain themselves.

biz_owner

I actually thought about that, but honestly I'm afraid they would squash me like a bug and make life as a retailer even more difficult...

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I actually thought about that, but honestly I'm afraid they would squash me like a bug and make life as a retailer even more difficult...
Sad you have to feel that way as a “customer”....

That said, the only thing UPS cares about is money, the more the marketplace rejects these new ideas by leaving, the sooner they’ll get the message.

W

What The Hawk?

They say Customer comes first. So try it out. Without businesses and people in general who rely on them they wouldn't be as big as they are.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I deliver to a UPS store, so I see first hand the amount of access point packages from my surrounding area. Without a doubt, the employees say the customers overwhelming hate it.

I know drivers that intentionally access point driveways they don’t want to go down or street numbers they can’t find.

Dr.Brownz

Call Ups and tell them straight up you are cancelling all seevices unless they fix your problem. Demand the direct fee be waved, say fedex doesnt do that.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member

Try UPSconnect: Home

Faceplanted

I delivered some dog food one day. Cust was ni, access pointed the package

The customer had to drive PAST the pet store to pick it up from the access point. He was pretty upset when I saw him

Ups is so out of touch is sad. Some how the access point, is told to us by management....

That it's more convenient to the customers!!! Sure

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Switch shippers and tell them why.

biz_owner

I don't know who raised their hand and said that this Access Point program was a good idea. UPS is a delivery company. Delivering packages to another location without the shipper OR receiver's prior approval or even knowledge isn't the way to keep your customer happy.

There are a bazillion reasons why people want stuff (like dog food) delivered to their homes.
  • Some are elderly or disabled
  • Some work a lot and don't want to mess with going to the store - no matter how close.
  • Some have a newborn baby and it is nice to get their gifts without leaving the house
  • You get the point...
What I would love to know is under what circumstances is it ever better to send a customer's order to some random location??

Access points are obviously not inspected or evaluated before they are approved. I just had a customer who had to take a day off of work because the access point's published hours were 10 am - 8 pm. He arrived only to see a handwritten note stating they had changed their hours from 10 - 2. I had to give him a courtesy refund just to keep him from shredding us in social media!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I don't know who raised their hand and said that this Access Point program was a good idea. UPS is a delivery company. Delivering packages to another location without the shipper OR receiver's prior approval or even knowledge isn't the way to keep your customer happy.

There are a bazillion reasons why people want stuff (like dog food) delivered to their homes.
  • Some are elderly or disabled
  • Some work a lot and don't want to mess with going to the store - no matter how close.
  • Some have a newborn baby and it is nice to get their gifts without leaving the house
  • You get the point...
What I would love to know is under what circumstances is it ever better to send a customer's order to some random location??

Access points are obviously not inspected or evaluated before they are approved. I just had a customer who had to take a day off of work because the access point's published hours were 10 am - 8 pm. He arrived only to see a handwritten note stating they had changed their hours from 10 - 2. I had to give him a courtesy refund just to keep him from shredding us in social media!

As I said above, access points were designed for urban areas where we can't just leave stuff by the front door.

The system designates which packages can or cannot be diverted to an Access Point, which, BTW, are vetted before signing a contract.

biz_owner

As I said above, access points were designed for urban areas where we can't just leave stuff by the front door.

The system designates which packages can or cannot be diverted to an Access Point, which, BTW, are vetted before signing a contract.

I believe that may have been the original intent, but I think it has gotten out of hand.

If the program really is designed for addresses where things cannot be safely left at the door, then why is the default now to AP so many packages that previously were deemed safe to deliver? We never had a problem before...

There is most definitely a problem with the level of professionalism at a lot of the access points. Many of them just aren't equipped to deal with the onslaught of packages - which are languishing there long after the scheduled "return to shipper" date. I'm still waiting for a package that's been sitting at the AP for over 14 days, despite repeated requests to return to shipper.

Nike

You need to address your service rep or UPS directly, this is just an open public forum.
I've seen customer reps work hard for their customers when asked or threatened with a loss of a shipper, don't underestimate the power you have as a customer.