accident in gated sub

browned out

The first thing I did was ask my center manager about the accident on the day it occurred. We were both leaving the building after 9PM as I did part of affected drivers route and he had many hoops to jump thru. I asked him what happened and if anyone was ticketed or what the police had to say? He responded; we did not have to call the police because it was in a gated community. Does he just make up as he goes along or is he instructed by his superiors to use the method.

1 State law. accidents over $1000 reported to police no matter where they happen.
2. State law. Teen driver progression. Driver needed to be ticketed and more training required or extended probation.
Next time this kid runs over a toddler chasing a ball which should have been prevented.
3. The community was only gated on one entrance the other side is open to public.

Management team had ample time to make the right decision here. They chose not to take the high road. They knew all or many of these violations before it was presented to them in black and white.

I am sure I am on the high road on this one. Ethically and literally as I am driving around in circles on Pikes Peak on my mountain bike.

Please post the procedure you as management are to follow in the event of feeder accident or package car accident as I am sure UPS has instructed you how to proceed in different accident scenarios.

Still, waiting for an answer. Anyone besides Fry guy? Guess I have to wait til Monday til employees with lives outside the cafe come back.

JonFrum

. . .Please post the procedure you as management are to follow in the event of feeder accident or package car accident as I am sure UPS has instructed you how to proceed in different accident scenarios.
Management use to be instructed to rush to the accident scene bringing a roll of masking tape to tape over the words "United Parcel Service" on the accident vehicle. (Probably worked best on trailers. Not so effective on distinctive brown package cars.)

Is this stiil the case? Or has UPS realized how easily that policy could backfire, especially if the police, the public, or the media saw you doing it.

over9five

Staff member
Management use to be instructed to rush to the accident scene bringing a roll of masking tape to tape over the words "United Parcel Service" on the accident vehicle. (Probably worked best on trailers. Not so effective on distinctive brown package cars.)

Is this stiil the case? Or has UPS realized how easily that policy could backfire, especially if the police, the public, or the media saw you doing it.

Masking tape? How old school! Here they use brown spraypaint.

tieguy

Banned

Ive heard about it but never seen it done.

Re-Raise

For the same reason any time I am involved in an accident I remove all my UPS clothing ..including my socks... and run from the scene of the accident in my boxer shorts.

It is sort of an unwritten policy of mine.

browned out

The driver was given the choice of 3 week unpaid suspension or terminated til hearing. He took the 3 week suspension. Now he has 2 chargeable accidents. 1 hit while parked and one backed into by teen with no license; jamming the radio while he was on the horn.

1.Lesson for brown cafe drivers to tell your coworkers. Grieve moronic hit while parked chargeables if you can prove you were in the best, safest place to park. Always pick safe park locations even if it costs you a few seconds. You can grieve anything that will lead to progressive discipline and can get these thrown out if you don't let the company bully you.

2. If you are involved in any accident; call the police(and management per contract) and make an accident report. Don't let the management tell you not to; punch out and call on lunch. It is your butt on the line. Management will lie to your face to save accidents from being reported to DOT, OSHA,Liberty Mutual, and the Local Police. They will tell you "we don't have to call because of this or that" They know the correct procedure and choose not to follow it. Check your local laws and if a teen is involved; let's get the teen the extra training they need. I am sure most states have tougher punishments for young, inexperienced drivers for good reasons.

No one needs to be on pins and needles after two accidents that could have been grieved or handled differently.

We have had 5 injuries and 5 accidents in about 1 month and a half since production push. We are up to 9 accidents this year and had only 11 all of last year. Corporate was in the center today as we had 1 injury and 1 accident yesterday. Accident was a driver who had and 8 hour request; and was given a 9 hour dispatch. He took down an overhead wire and will be charged as he should be.

Management will over- dispatch drivers who they know will run and take shortcuts to make their 8. Nothing good will come from it. Follow the correct procedure and if you are over-dispatched tell management in the AM that you may have difficulty finishing to make your 8. Take your lunch and break(s) Call and 2 way at 3 if you know you are not going to make it. If they will not send someone out to take your stops; let them know you are bringing them back.

We had a driver bring back 53 stops today. Safety committee member at that. Driver was punched in early for safety meeting and the 8 hour started from then. Management called Labor and was told that is correct.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We had a driver bring back 53 stops today. Safety committee member at that. Driver was punched in early for safety meeting and the 8 hour started from then. Management called Labor and was told that is correct.

That is only the case if it was his posted start time. 8hr days are from the posted start time.

browned out

The driver was given the choice of 3 week unpaid suspension or terminated til hearing. He took the 3 week suspension. Now he has 2 chargeable accidents. 1 hit while parked and one backed into by teen with no license; jamming the radio while he was on the horn.

1.Lesson for brown cafe drivers to tell your coworkers. Grieve moronic hit while parked chargeables if you can prove you were in the best, safest place to park. Always pick safe park locations even if it costs you a few seconds. You can grieve anything that will lead to progressive discipline and can get these thrown out if you don't let the company bully you.

2. If you are involved in any accident; call the police(and management per contract) and make an accident report. Don't let the management tell you not to; punch out and call on lunch. It is your butt on the line. Management will lie to your face to save accidents from being reported to DOT, OSHA,Liberty Mutual, and the Local Police. They will tell you "we don't have to call because of this or that" They know the correct procedure and choose not to follow it. Check your local laws and if a teen is involved; let's get the teen the extra training they need. I am sure most states have tougher punishments for young, inexperienced drivers for good reasons.

No one needs to be on pins and needles after two accidents that could have been grieved or handled differently.

We have had 5 injuries and 5 accidents in about 1 month and a half since production push. We are up to 9 accidents this year and had only 11 all of last year. Corporate was in the center today as we had 1 injury and 1 accident yesterday. Accident was a driver who had and 8 hour request; and was given a 9 hour dispatch. He took down an overhead wire and will be charged as he should be.

Management will over- dispatch drivers who they know will run and take shortcuts to make their 8. Nothing good will come from it. Follow the correct procedure and if you are over-dispatched tell management in the AM that you may have difficulty finishing to make your 8. Take your lunch and break(s) Call and 2 way at 3 if you know you are not going to make it. If they will not send someone out to take your stops; let them know you are bringing them back.

Yes it was drivers posted start time.

browned out

Yes it was drivers posted start time.

The driver received a 3 day suspension not a 3 week suspension. Mistake on my part. I Don't want to get in trouble for padding or inflating numbers. Still, 3rd accident in 9 months means discharge most likely. He rode with oncar for half the day today and the center manager for the other half. One more safety ride with District Manager coming up.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
The driver received a 3 day suspension not a 3 week suspension. Mistake on my part. I Don't want to get in trouble for padding or inflating numbers. Still, 3rd accident in 9 months means discharge most likely. He rode with oncar for half the day today and the center manager for the other half. One more safety ride with District Manager coming up.

As I stated earlier, there is an apeals process that can be used to change avoidable/unavoidable claim by company. Talk to both H/R and the Local Union Hall to find out where to start.

tieguy

Banned
As I stated earlier, there is an apeals process that can be used to change avoidable/unavoidable claim by company. Talk to both H/R and the Local Union Hall to find out where to start.

ah the the protested three day suspension. The ultimate punishment . you can drag one of those out forever.

browned out

one common tactic lugheads like yourself try is to come up with a change of direction once they got whipped. In your case you then tried to change the color of your font as if you thought it might add the logic your words are otherwise missing.

I'm sorry I won't bite on your change of direction.

you have been screaming about violations of law here. since you have knowledge you have the obligation to report the violation of law. especially true since you're trying to grab the moral high ground here.

did you report the two drivers to the authorities? how did it turn out?

I have taken your advise and have taken the moral high road that I should have taken in the first place. I have sent detailed accounts of this accident to the DOT, The MI DOT, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, The Michigan State Police, Brownstown Twp Police Dept (where accident occurred), The Michigan Secretary of State (Department of Motor Vehicles in most states), Liberty Mutual Insurance, UPS Great Lakes District, and UPS corporate in Atlanta.

UPS needs to have a conference call with all its Center Managers and let them know it is illegal to instruct drivers not to call the authorities. Maybe next time; they let a drunk driver go and a few weeks later that driver kills someone. I know nothing can be done about this past gross negligence on UPS part. Hopefully UPS Corporate gets it right in the future.

browned out

I have taken your advise and have taken the moral high road that I should have taken in the first place. I have sent detailed accounts of this accident to the DOT, The MI DOT, The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, The Michigan State Police, Brownstown Twp Police Dept (where accident occurred), The Michigan Secretary of State (Department of Motor Vehicles in most states), Liberty Mutual Insurance, UPS Great Lakes District, and UPS corporate in Atlanta.

UPS needs to have a conference call with all its Center Managers and let them know it is illegal to instruct drivers not to call the authorities. Maybe next time; they let a drunk driver go and a few weeks later that driver kills someone. I know nothing can be done about this past gross negligence on UPS part. Hopefully UPS Corporate gets it right in the future.

Great Lakes District Manager has directed our Center Manager to follow all procedures according to the law. Our center manager has assured me that all future accidents will be handled according to the law in the future to avoid the mistakes of our past management team.

I will keep you updated if and when Atlanta responds.

browned out

Great Lakes District Manager has directed our Center Manager to follow all procedures according to the law. Our center manager has assured me that all future accidents will be handled according to the law in the future to avoid the mistakes of our past management team.

I will keep you updated if and when Atlanta responds.

Another thing my center manager said; "Hopefully the 17 year old girl called the accident in to the police" since we directed our package car driver no to call the police.

I just laughed. I am sure that is what any 17 year old would do. Teens are great at making the right decisions; especially ones that could get their driving privileges revoked.

browned out

Got a call from the State Police today. The officer stated that we could go after UPS for not filing the accident report, not our driver.