Accidents???

That is all dependent on the individual driver, though. We have over 300 feeder drivers here. And I hate to say it, but at least a third, maybe more, are intimidated by management tactics. As a result, safety lags. A rushed driver is a dangerous driver, esp. in feeders. And the more package car burners that come back here, the worse it gets. We get guys who fly down the interstate and cut 30 to 90 minutes off a route.

They tried rushing me when I first got back here, but I drove PC for 21 years, and I'm not going to be pushed around. In fact, when they started harassing me about on property and start work times, and got my pre-trip book that they gave me in feeder school and brushed up on everything. Now I drive my mechanics and on-road sups nuts.

Tire doesn't have a valve stem cap? Go to the shop. Safety pin from the dolly hook slightly worn? Go to the shop. A tire feels slightly low? Go to the shop. A glad hand doesn't snap real tight? Go to the shop.
Trailer has a dent? Verify w/on-road. This, I've been doing at least three days a week.

​In our building, safety is always talked about, but is often pushed to the rear when the beans start getting counted. It is up to every driver to make it a priority, but it really doesn't happen that way.

We're at 370+ on the 705 side and maybe 250+ on the 710 side of the building respectively. Most of the feeder trouble I've had was as a rookie or with earlier mgmt regimes The mgmt group we have now isn't so bad. In dispatch though you still have a clown or two try the "it's a hot load/cut off" routine , usually on the new guys. We try and get ahold of them as they come in and get them up to speed especially with the key phrases to retort with. "I do my best to get that trl there in time but be aware I will not break any laws or regulations to do so" is a fav.
Im a firm believer in keeping the ball in mgmts court and documenting their decisions. With it hits the fan and you remind them verbatim of what they said its a bit hard to discipline.

browniehound

Our most common accident hit while parked. Of course it's always avoidable. We could of parked somewhere else and it wouldn't of happened lol. What a freaking joke.

Right? You could have parked one block away and walked it off. But then you park a block away in a safe enough place and don't get hit and you get "why did you park so far away" during your OJS. I don't have a lot to get pissed about at UPS or much to criticize because they make a ton of money and keep me in a job. However, hit while parked really gets under my skin.

Really? You're gonna bust my beach balls because someone else hit ME while I was parked? Its hard enough to find a parking spot. Now we have to find one that some idiot won't hit us in just because he sucks at driving? So when this half-witt gets in his car on his cell-phone and backs out of his drive way and then sideswipes me parked 10 feet from his entrance its the UPS driver's concern?

Sorry, I have more important things to worry about than this maroon. One is keeping myself alive out there on the road.

browned out

Our most common accident hit while parked. Of course it's always avoidable. We could of parked somewhere else and it wouldn't of happened lol. What a freaking joke.

I have been forced to sign a form stating that I will block driveways where an unocuppied vehicle is parked. This even applied if there is a safer parking posistion a little farther up the street. I submitted a copy to the Union. I also had UPS put a letter in my file that I believe this is not the safest practice and increases my chances of being hit while parked.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I have been forced to sign a form stating that I will block driveways where an unocuppied vehicle is parked. This even applied if there is a safer parking posistion a little farther up the street. I submitted a copy to the Union. I also had UPS put a letter in my file that I believe this is not the safest practice and increases my chances of being hit while parked.
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but how can you be forced to sign anything?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but how can you be forced to sign anything?

You can't. They might intimidate you into signing something, but as we used to tell our supervisors, "The only thing I'm signing is my check." Anytime they say you need to sign something, just get your steward. That's his job, to initial anything like this.

browned out

I was told to work as directed by the union (unless it is a safety issue) and then grieve it. I was also told that anything I sign; I also have a right to have a copy. Excerpts from the copy follow:

To: Me
Re: 3 day lock in

"Today will start day one of a three day controlled OJS lock in ride. On my ride with you peerformed 00/00/0000, you demonstrated very good delivery methods. Your work pace was brisk, you used the package HINs to determine your next delivery and units of work......................You do need to take the shortest path that is safe to the delivery point both to and from your package car. This includes crossing lawns and or blocking driveways where an unoccupied car is parked. .................The results of the ride will be reviewed be compiled and reviewed with you at the completion of the ride."

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd

Does this fall into "Employees may not enter into contracts with the company outside of the master/rider that governs their area/district"

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
accidents have spiked sky high in our center this year. We have had 3 times the number of accidents we had last year this time.
The division Safety Manager specified we are to blow the horns at all intersections,to make us more 'visible'

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I was told to work as directed by the union (unless it is a safety issue) and then grieve it. I was also told that anything I sign; I also have a right to have a copy. Excerpts from the copy follow:

To: Me
Re: 3 day lock in

"Today will start day one of a three day controlled OJS lock in ride. On my ride with you peerformed 00/00/0000, you demonstrated very good delivery methods. Your work pace was brisk, you used the package HINs to determine your next delivery and units of work......................You do need to take the shortest path that is safe to the delivery point both to and from your package car. This includes crossing lawns and or blocking driveways where an unoccupied car is parked. .................The results of the ride will be reviewed be compiled and reviewed with you at the completion of the ride."

You can't be forced to sign anything. You get your steward, who will initial anything they want you to sign, which is simply to show that it was reviewed with you. But you don't have to sign anything. Reviewed with you is fine. They always will do this, and they MAY try to intimidate you into signing a document, but there is nothing they can do about it. Tell them no once or twice, and I promise you, they won't bother you again.