Accrued Time

Bups45

I retired Nov. 1 2022 after 45 1/2 years. I took all of my 2022 vacation time before my retirement date. At that time, I had accrued all of my 2023 vacation time, which I expected to be paid for by Jan. 2023. It is now April 2023 and I’ve yet to be paid. I’ve been to management and I’ve been to our Union business agent, all of which say they’re working on it, but 6mos. have past and I’m now off the payroll. Does anyone have any advise as to the next step I should take? My patience is exhausted.

Johney

I retired Nov. 1 2022 after 45 1/2 years. I took all of my 2022 vacation time before my retirement date. At that time, I had accrued all of my 2023 vacation time, which I expected to be paid for by Jan. 2023. It is now April 2023 and I’ve yet to be paid. I’ve been to management and I’ve been to our Union business agent, all of which say they’re working on it, but 6mos. have past and I’m now off the payroll. Does anyone have any advise as to the next step I should take? My patience is exhausted.
It has to be requested by your previous supervisor. I had to do it when I retired in Dec 2021. My sup at the time had to file for it, it does not happen automatically. If no one does the leg work I don't see how you'll get it.

Bups45

I have been in contact with my previous supervisor who claims to be working on it to no avail. I’m to the point of contacting an attorney.

pkgdriver

It has to be requested by your previous supervisor. I had to do it when I retired in Dec 2021. My sup at the time had to file for it, it does not happen automatically. If no one does the leg work I don't see how you'll get it.
This is my experience also. Think my Center/Business Manager did it. Last day Nov 25 2022. Picked up the check Jan 5 2023. Was a live check so they put it in the safe till I picked it up.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I believe there is a time frame for putting in your accrued Vacation time for the following year.. When you retired just before that annual vacation schedule and maybe did not turn in a request form for the following year (2023), that could be the problem..

Anyway it should be an easy fix...that is the problem with counting on people to do everything right now a days. It is not a only UPS thing, it is happening everywhere..a lot of falling through the cracks if you do not follow up, expect problems and you will not be disappointed when it happens, especially with your retirement and health benefits. Wait till you get to Medicare..:rolleyes:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I tell everybody that retires from this place to get all monies owed before signing your clearance slip
Gonna make life a lot easier

qdg2

I believe there is a time frame for putting in your accrued Vacation time for the following year.. When you retired just before that annual vacation schedule and maybe did not turn in a request form for the following year (2023), that could be the problem..

Anyway it should be an easy fix...that is the problem with counting on people to do everything right now a days. It is not a only UPS thing, it is happening everywhere..a lot of falling through the cracks if you do not follow up, expect problems and you will not be disappointed when it happens, especially with your retirement and health benefits. Wait till you get to Medicare..:rolleyes:
+
I tell everybody that retires from this place to get all monies owed before signing your clearance slip
Gonna make life a lot easier
Our payroll clerk(feeders) had her office in our office.

I bid my vacations as usual because I hadn't decided to retire then......

Our procedure for vacation "payoff's" was always about 4 weeks into the New Year of any year. Apparently, then and only then was the money available TO ANYONE. This was told to me by my sup, mgr and THE PAYROLL CLERK(who I had a good working relationship with.....).

I actually retired in Dec. but didn't receive my vacation money earned until Feb. It was NDA'd(live check) to my house per prior arrangement with the payroll clerk. She kept me informed via text every step of the way.

I NEVER signed a clearance slip. As told to me by my ORMGR-He would send in a separation from the company and I would actually still be "employed" until that made it's way through the "system"......he said it might take more than a month....especially since I retired right before Christmas. Why? Because of the grievance system. I didn't realize you are still employed until maybe arbitration. I realize retirement is a little different. So demanding "all monies owed" wouldn't have made any difference. They can't just write a check.....
I would think holding out would just delay things......not make life a lot easier.

To the OP: Do you know the payroll clerk? Anyone that does?
yep
This is my experience also. Think my Center/Business Manager did it. Last day Nov 25 2022. Picked up the check Jan 5 2023. Was a live check so they put it in the safe till I picked it up.
yep

trickpony1

Contact the Dept of Labor.....Wage and Hour Unit.

Outside enforcement agencies tend to get the attention of the company quick.

Good luck.

Johney

I have been in contact with my previous supervisor who claims to be working on it to no avail. I’m to the point of contacting an attorney.
Contacting an attorney is going to cost you money. I don’t understand why someone will not just call payroll for you and get your payout. My vacation payout was close to $8000 for the 6 weeks they owed me(I did not get my option week as I didn’t work into 2022)were you a :censored2: and they are doing this just to spite you? I just don’t get it.

onehandsolo

It’s a problem in my area as well. We have contacted the union and have been told that the issue is with changes in payroll. But supposedly they are working on it.

I'm with ya, still waiting for mine also. Retired Oct 28th 2022. Some have been paid some have not. I contacted IBT. Can't hurt

Have you received your payoff yet? I just received mine yesterday and it was almost 7 months after my last work day.