Active Duty/Reserve Military

Seymour Packages

Does anyone have experience being with going into the military while working full time for UPS? I scored well on the ASVAB and I am seriously considering enlisting in the Army. Are there any of you that are in the Reserves for any branch or served Active Duty and came back to UPS?

DriverNerd

Not me personally, but I've worked (or work) with many military employees. Most were in the military when they started, but a couple signed up a couple years in. In my experience, UPS is very flexible with military employees. You keep your seniority and your job when you come back. UPS isn't stupid, they know that having military employees helps then look better and terminating someone would be horrible PR and could possibly be illegal (depending on the situation - there are certain laws regarding service members). I used to work with a guy who had Reserves and he got time off any time he needed it for training. If this is something you want to do, do it.

Brown Wing

Sandbagger
Had a buddy in reserve as a new driver. Drove a year then went back active duty in the Seabees. I think he said he has to come back and drive a week before 4 years gone to keep his seniority.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Does anyone have experience being with going into the military while working full time for UPS? I scored well on the ASVAB and I am seriously considering enlisting in the Army. Are there any of you that are in the Reserves for any branch or served Active Duty and came back to UPS?

You can hang in the military.... but, not at UPS ?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
you going to leave your union brothers hanging like that?
🧔✊

retired2000

I did it for my 20 yers in the reserves worked at ups also you keep your job for five years if active then you will get all raises that are due you keep your seniority and can bid on any job you would have enough seniority to get

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I do very well for myself and my family at UPS. But I'm young enough, fit enough, and have the desire to serve my country. From what I am reading, it is possible to do so and maintain civilian employment. Hope this helps.

If you really want the military benefits and all that, fine. But there are other ways to serve your country that don't involve giving up agency over your life. Something to really think about. I knew some UPS drivers when I was in the guard, they seemed to be able to handle it well, but I also think they were officers.

One was a real prick who I wanted to butt stroke in the face. Almost would have been worth getting locked up over. I wonder if I could have served my sentence one weekend a month and two weeks a year.