Active Duty/Reserve Military

Gman33909

What's your age? I went in at 26 got out at 29 came back to ups, just try to get a mos you really want, they usually try to fill up the job slots they need to fill and tell you the mos you want isn't available, sometimes you may have to wait a year to get the job you really want...

Seymour Packages

What's your age? I went in at 26 got out at 29 came back to ups, just try to get a mos you really want, they usually try to fill up the job slots they need to fill and tell you the mos you want isn't available, sometimes you may have to wait a year to get the job you really want...
Were you an RPCD? Did you lose your route, if you had one? I'm 27. All I have known is UPS, but I want to serve and get an MOS that I can use in the civilian world just in case. No time for trade school working as an RPCD.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Were you an RPCD? Did you lose your route, if you had one? I'm 27. All I have known is UPS, but I want to serve and get an MOS that I can use in the civilian world just in case. No time for trade school working as an RPCD.
A person whose military service lasted 91 days or more, must be promptly reemployed in the following order of priority:
  1. In the job the person would have held had the person remained continuously employed, or a position of equivalent seniority, status, and pay so long as the person is qualified for the job, or can become qualified after reasonable efforts by the employer to qualify the person; or,
  2. If the employee cannot become qualified for the position in (1), in the employee's pre-service position so long as the person is qualified for the job or could become qualified after reasonable efforts by the employer; or
  3. If the employee cannot become qualified for the position in either (1) or (2), in any other position, which is the nearest approximation of (1) for which the person is qualified, with full seniority.
If you're in an area where you bid for life I would assume you would get your old route back.

Overpaid Union Thug

Does anyone have experience being with going into the military while working full time for UPS? I scored well on the ASVAB and I am seriously considering enlisting in the Army. Are there any of you that are in the Reserves for any branch or served Active Duty and came back to UPS?
I have experience with being in the military while working at UPS. I was part time when I started but stayed in during my full-time years.

The Air Force reserves or air National Guard is, in my opinion, is the better choice. They have a much higher quality of life and you are less likely to die or get injured while deployed overseas. The air National Guard, for most people, would be the better deal because there are so many more bases than there are for the Air Force reserves. That increases your chances of having a base close to home. But if you live close to a reserve base, or one of those active duty bases that have reserve units in them, then that would be an option as well.

Retiring from the reserve/National Guard really helps at age 60, when retirement benefits kick in, because the insurance would be free. Unlike the insurance for UPS retirees. And it’s only like $220 per month for a family while serving so many people enlist just for the insurance. For a current UPS employee the guard/reserves is basically supplemental pay with decent college benefits.

Some people go active duty for four years or so and then come back to UPS. It’s a lesser known option. The smart play would be to do that and then immediately transition into the guard or reserves and finish 20 years there. A UPS pension, if they are still around, combined with a national guard/reserve pension would be sweet.

PT Car Washer

I have experience with being in the military while working at UPS. I was part time when I started but stayed in during my full-time years.

The Air Force reserves or air National Guard is, in my opinion, is the better choice. They have a much higher quality of life and you are less likely to die or get injured while deployed overseas. The air National Guard, for most people, would be the better deal because there are so many more bases than there are for the Air Force reserves. That increases your chances of having a base close to home. But if you live close to a reserve base, or one of those active duty bases that have reserve units in them, then that would be an option as well.

Retiring from the reserve/National Guard really helps at age 60, when retirement benefits kick in, because the insurance would be free. Unlike the insurance for UPS retirees. And it’s only like $220 per month for a family while serving so many people enlist just for the insurance. For a current UPS employee the guard/reserves is basically supplemental pay with decent college benefits.

Some people go active duty for four years or so and then come back to UPS. It’s a lesser known option. The smart play would be to do that and then immediately transition into the guard or reserves and finish 20 years there. A UPS pension, if they are still around, combined with a national guard/reserve pension would be sweet.
I agree it is sweet. Been collecting my Guard pension for 5 years now.

rod

Retired 22 years
Not me personally, but I've worked (or work) with many military employees. Most were in the military when they started, but a couple signed up a couple years in. In my experience, UPS is very flexible with military employees. You keep your seniority and your job when you come back. UPS isn't stupid, they know that having military employees helps then look better and terminating someone would be horrible PR and could possibly be illegal (depending on the situation - there are certain laws regarding service members). I used to work with a guy who had Reserves and he got time off any time he needed it for training. If this is something you want to do, do it.
That is only because the HAVE to be. There are Federal laws governing your rights if you join the military while working a civilian job. Don't think for one minute that UPS would allow anyone to be absent from work to fulfill a military obligation if it wasn't the LAW.

DriverNerd

That is only because the HAVE to be. There are Federal laws governing your rights if you join the military while working a civilian job. Don't think for one minute that UPS would allow anyone to be absent from work to fulfill a military obligation if it wasn't the LAW.
While I completely agree with that, from my experience most full time supervisors are more lenient than they have to be. Now, I'm sure that's not all of them, just what I've had experience with from those in Guards who wanted off extra days for rest/travel/etc. There was never any issues, the supervisors just would be "tell me which days you want off".

HFolb23

I joined the Army National Guard at 18, got hired at UPS at 19 when I got home from training. UPS has never given me any problems at all about being away from work, my on road even tries to get me an 8hr dispatch the day before drill so I can get done early enough to get a haircut.

We are a small center and have a few of us in the guard with the same schedule, meaning we’re all gone at the same time. I know it makes scheduling harder, but they don’t say anything about it. I just spent 10 months away from UPS, including all peak season, to be away on COVID-19 orders, never said a word other than to check in from time to time to see how we were doing.

Picking an MOS that rolls over to the civilian side is never a bad idea, but make sure it’s an MOS you’re at least interested in doing too. If you’re not looking to stay with UPS, make sure you research that your MOS will actually roll over to the civilian side as well, not all skills roll like you’d expect (MP is a good example, doesn’t automatically qualify you to be a civilian LEO). I’m an 88M, (Motor Transport Operator) and I enjoy it. I got my CDL from it and that helped with my goal of going into Feeders. Once I go to feeders, I’ll probably consider reclassing to another MOS so that drill weekend doesn’t feel like another day at work.

Your union benefits are better than Tri-care, but things like the GI Bill, VA Loan, etc are pretty nice to have available. One of the hidden benefits from the reserves is that you know someone for everything because everyone at drill has a civilian occupation as well. If I need a plumber, a veterinarian, a mechanic, etc I can send a text and get help.

All in, I’m glad I joined the guard. I do wish I had spent a few years on active duty but starting with UPS at 19 was a good move too. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you don’t want to ask publicly.