ada and a request for reasonable accomodation

plkl62

I applied for a request for a reasonable accommodation, due to what maybe a disability that is perceived by supervisors at my hub. Years ago I was on ssdi due to some issues that I no longer have. I am a preloader. I am working the full shift. I am also working a second jobThe supervisors on this shift will not let me work over time repairing damaged packages and walking off packages, they say it is because I require to much supervision. I overheard one of the supervisors whispering into the union stewards ear about me with me present. I absolutely heard the word disability come out of his mouth, even though I was not supposed to hear it. I had my doctor fill out a medical questionnaire. My union business agent told me this may affect my ability to go driving is this true. How could I maximize my chances of the meeting going my way. I believe ups is treating me poorly because they know of my history.

upschuck

You can't get a ADA accommodation, unless it is a legally recognized ADA disability, and not just a perceived disability.

If you have seniority to work the OT, then file a grievance.

J92

I applied for a request for a reasonable accommodation, due to what maybe a disability that is perceived by supervisors at my hub. Years ago I was on ssdi due to some issues that I no longer have. I am a preloader. I am working the full shift. I am also working a second jobThe supervisors on this shift will not let me work over time repairing damaged packages and walking off packages, they say it is because I require to much supervision. I overheard one of the supervisors whispering into the union stewards ear about me with me present. I absolutely heard the word disability come out of his mouth, even though I was not supposed to hear it. I had my doctor fill out a medical questionnaire. My union business agent told me this may affect my ability to go driving is this true. How could I maximize my chances of the meeting going my way. I believe ups is treating me poorly because they know of my history.

Take your time doing the work and let them realize that things aren't moving as quick as they want them to. Over time, someone above them will have to indicate it to them and overtime will hopefully come to you. I would also check with other supervisors that may need an extra hand in another area to see if the overtime can be picked up that way. I know plenty of preloaders that also do car wash. As far as driving goes, network with different supervisors. Not all of them control the floor on everything. Maybe something your agent or HR can point out to you in regards to which supervisor manages what.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver

An ADA accommodation lasts for your whole career unless you bring in paperwork saying the opposite or there is a time limit from the physician when you turn it in. The Company is required by law to find a job that meets the needs if they can. They apparently did that. If those original restrictions do not meet the job requirements of any other job, you can not bid for it. Sounds like you need to have those restrictions lifted to even have a chance.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
If the Steward was discussing the chance of signing the list with the sup, I don't think there is a HIPAA violation as long as a specific condition is not shared. I could say that an employee has an accommodation when discussing their right to something so long as I don't mention that it involves high blood pressure, diabetes, epilepsy, etc. I can just say that they don't qualify medically.