Advice for a New Driver

Zowert

Hello everybody!

I just finished training this week, I start next week (Seattle-Tacoma area). I was hired off the street, so I have little knowledge of company culture. As far as the job itself, I'm experienced in route driving and package delivery. Before getting hired on I worked for a small parcel delivery company that was contracted by Amazon. We drove full size vans and would often deliver as much as 300 packages over 200+ stops, during peak season I once delivered 306 packages in 252 stops; ten hour days. But I had the luxury of a GPS system to aid me in delivery and the packages were obviously a LOT smaller than what UPS drivers deal with. We also never had set routes. One day i'd be delivering up in Everett (WA), the next I could be in Kirkland, another day in Seattle and so on..

Anyway, as a new hire I understand that i'll be put on cover routes while i'm part time, waiting for a spot to get in full time on a set route. My question is how did you guys fare while you were in my position? As a newly hired driver expected to go on routes, without GPS, in areas you're unfamiliar with. I'm decent at navigating, before delivering packages for Amazon I was a delivery driver for a local lumber company and I had to use paper maps to navigate. However that was a different ballgame since I'd only take out one load for delivery at a time and time was not as restricted. So, how did you get by in your days as a newbie? What helped you navigate an area you were unfamiliar with? I'm assuming you wouldn't have had the time to study a map in between every deliver, especially if you have well over a hundred stops to make. Regardless of my past experience, I'm unsure how well i'm going to fare at making stops in an unknown area in a timely matter.

Thanks for your time. I'd also like to mention, without sounding like an ass kisser, that I really admire the guys who've been doing this job for years and years. It is physically demanding and it can be stressful as hell!

Last edited:

Box Ox

Anyway, as a new hire I understand that i'll be put on cover routes while i'm part time, waiting for a spot to get in full time on a set route.

Sure you’re not gonna be put on a part time sort or cover as a seasonal driver?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It will come off one stop at a time is what I tell new drivers, don’t get overwhelmed. It is very important to get your stops organized so you don’t waste too much time in the back. It’s smart to locate the package before you actually drive to the next address. At this point, just be careful driving and don’t hit anything.

Zowert

Sure you’re not gonna be put on a part time sort or cover as a seasonal driver?

To be honest, I'm not sure what is going to happen. I'm going off of what i've been told by the drivers I know and what i've picked up from training.

Zowert

It’s smart to locate the package before you actually drive to the next address. At this point, just be careful driving and don’t hit anything.

This is good advice, thank you. For my first 30 days i'm going to drive EXTRA careful, lol!

sikidiki

As a fairly new driver myself, basically you have to learn it as you do it, as my supervisor said. You don't learn anything from having a sup drive you around and showing you the area. You literally learn as you are on the car by yourself and eventually the area knowledge will come to you. Sounds like you already have a head start though with prior experience. Just make sure at the start of your day to check for commits and get those off ASAP because if you're in a new area it might be tough to find some of the stops.

There will be a seniority list and you will be at the bottom, if its busy they will put you on some partial route taken from someone elses and you will be doing that for a while. I still get put on new routes from time to time. Just learn your methods and stick to them, get in a good routine and good habits and eventually you will start making good time as you learn the delivery area. Always keep your truck sorted, even if it takes 20-30 minutes, its faster than having to spend 30 seconds to 1 minute looking for a package every time. Once you're sorted you're golden. My dad said you don't lose time driving, but you lose time in the back of your package car looking for stuff.

You can always go in a little early and ask some of the other drivers who have done that route if there is anything you need to know, or if there are any specific roads or places you cannot go or places to drop off packages. The person that put you on the route can also print you maps of your stops if you like paper maps and just get a pen and mark off each one as you deliver it, if you can't find a house some labels have a number on the bottom of the package label that will read something like 1234567890/0000 or something but obviously with a number, i call those when i cant find their house if its a tricky address.

I also like to go in early to make sure my truck has everything, DR bags, chains ect, so that when start time happens i can just shut my doors and go. Because you will probably be put on a bunch of different routes using all sorts of different package cars. Also before you start you can always look at the orion computer to see where your stops are going to be so you can get a general idea of how the route will run you and how many miles and when you're expected back so you can kinda gauge how you are doing throughout the day.

Last bit of advice is to not take anything personal on these forums, alot of TOUGH guys like upstatenyupser or whatever his name is, he will just tell you like it is. That one guy with the south park portrait, listen to everything he says, hes always right and never wrong. Gumby is a nice guy too.

Hello everybody!

I just finished training this week, I start next week (Seattle-Tacoma area). I was hired off the street, so I have little knowledge of company culture. As far as the job itself, I'm experienced in route driving and package delivery. Before getting hired on I worked for a small parcel delivery company that was contracted by Amazon. We drove full size vans and would often deliver as much as 300 packages over 200+ stops, during peak season I once delivered 306 packages in 252 stops; ten hour days. But I had the luxury of a GPS system to aid me in delivery and the packages were obviously a LOT smaller than what UPS drivers deal with. We also never had set routes. One day i'd be delivering up in Everett (WA), the next I could be in Kirkland, another day in Seattle and so on..

Anyway, as a new hire I understand that i'll be put on cover routes while i'm part time, waiting for a spot to get in full time on a set route. My question is how did you guys fare while you were in my position? As a newly hired driver expected to go on routes, without GPS, in areas you're unfamiliar with. I'm decent at navigating, before delivering packages for Amazon I was a delivery driver for a local lumber company and I had to use paper maps to navigate. However that was a different ballgame since I'd only take out one load for delivery at a time and time was not as restricted. So, how did you get by in your days as a newbie? What helped you navigate an area you were unfamiliar with? I'm assuming you wouldn't have had the time to study a map in between every deliver, especially if you have well over a hundred stops to make. Regardless of my past experience, I'm unsure how well i'm going to fare at making stops in an unknown area in a timely matter.

Thanks for your time. I'd also like to mention, without sounding like an ass kisser, that I really admire the guys who've been doing this job for years and years. It is physically demanding and it can be stressful as hell!
Usually they will put a newbie on a training route. So at least for a short while you should be in the same area. Do your best to learn the area, maybe take a drive through it when you aren't working. Use your brains not the GPS..
Have a good pair of work shoes and have a cooler for drinks and snacks.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Hello everybody!

don't poop yourself hunny

TheMachine

Are you sure you want to punch out?
I’m a volunteer firefighter and found being trapped in a basement fire to be more organized and calmer than working at UPS.

I’ll leave you with that.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
34C790D3-1155-459C-8BB5-3AE79853B190.gif
So, how did you get by in your days as a newbie?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
I just finished training this week
When you start driving you need to , SCAN THE AREA FOR SUPERVISORS , every stop you need to look in your mirrors to make sure no ones following you...once you know you are clear you resume running until qualification

Richard Cranium

Hello everybody!

Too much information. Just look at it like you as probert and management as tie domi on a daily basis.

T

thisjobaintforeverybody

Hello everybody!

Start off reading frequently asked questions in the UPS discussion thread. You're learning curve won't be as much but its like trying to tell someone who asks you what its like to have kids. Can't do it. You just have to dive in the pool and start swimming. My advice is find some veteran guys who are willing to help you out. Ask questions! Eventually you'll learn who to trust!