Advice for a part timer going full time....

Eville-UPS

Hey everyone, this is my first post but I have been on this site many times. Anyway I have been at UPS for 6 years part-time, but as of last week I am full time. I have already passed driver school and had my sup ride along, and starting next Tuesday I will be on my traing route alone. I am scared to death! I just don't know how I'm going to navigate myself on my residential stops among other things. I feel so overwhelmed! My training route is mostly business with a few residentals and 30 pickups. The thing that I screwed myself on was not air or seasonal driving. I had another job after pre-load that I couldn't leave for a month and a half at a time. Any advise would be great.

tadpole

Don't hit anything. Always stay calm. Work real hard and improve every day.

I didn't make it my first time. It wasn't the end of the world. Just don't give up.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Stay calm. Don't panic. There will be times when everything goes perfect and other times when the spam hits the fan. Learn from both of these situations. Talk to veteran drivers. We've been there, done that, got the limp to prove it. Find what works for you and do it. Good luck and be safe.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are unsure, stop and ask.

My Peak helper was in the process of qualifying to be a driver. From what I had been told he was doing really well on road. Friday evening he had come back to the bldg. and was backing the pkg car in to his spot. There was a trailer parked in front of the door and a pkg car parked in the spot to the right. He had to clear both in order to get to his spot. He cleared the trailer but was unable to clear the pkg car. The bumper of that car ended up in the right rear wheel well of his pkg car and the two cars were rubbing against one another. He did the right thing in notifying his supervisor right away but I think that his driver days may be over.

In hindsight he should have either moved the parked pkg car out of it's spot, backed his car in and then back the other car back in, or he should have asked for help.

Z

ZQXC

BE safe, be smooth. When something goes wrong, and it will, put it out of your mind and focus on the remainder of the day. Be especially careful about backing.

If training in a large truck, don't forget about tail swing.

nystripe96

You'll be fine. I guarantee you after just 3 or 4 days alone you'll be just fine. Drive slowly, work safe, don't panic. We've all been there just work safe

Sent using BrownCafe App

Eville-UPS

Thanks everyone! I know this is a great opportunity for my family and I. I know that getting faster will come in time, but I hate feeling like I suck at driving. The other thing is my driver sup is a "Jekyll and Hyde" type of guy.... He is nice to customers and other employees, but is a strait up jerk to me. I just hope I can do this job. If not i may just go back to pre-load.

nystripe96

He's just seeing what kind of person you are, sensitive?then you're in trouble they'll see right through you

Sent using BrownCafe App

The Driver

I drive.
Thanks everyone! I know this is a great opportunity for my family and I. I know that getting faster will come in time, but I hate feeling like I suck at driving. The other thing is my driver sup is a "Jekyll and Hyde" type of guy.... He is nice to customers and other employees, but is a strait up jerk to me. I just hope I can do this job. If not i may just go back to pre-load.

The supervisors are hard on you for a reason; think "drill sergeant". Take the critcism and take deep breaths. Refer to your map. Drive your route on the weekend once in your personal car if you can to get more comfortable in your area.

Your supervisor wants you to succeed, so just remember that. Also remember that if you qualify they'll spend the next few decades trying to fire you. :wink2: