Advice for a single mom just starting with UPS? Please?

Thebrownstreak

As with most blogs you will have people who will pick apart your words and try to throw them in your face. You clearly stated in your original post on this thread that you were looking for advice. When I responded I gave my 2 cents on how I felt being a father of 3 and working with this job. I am lucky enough that I am married to an amazing mother. She just went back full time because she got the job she always wanted in working in a college setting. We have parents who watch the girls (2 1/2 and 4 months) 2 days of the week and then daycare the other 3 days. We have that option to do that. You have your own circumstances to deal with. I think you are choosing the right path. If you can live with less money but more time with your kids then that is the best thing. Don't get discouraged by postings of some on this site. Good luck.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Don't laugh I've had helpers telling me they were told they would become drivers at the end of peak. They gave a bonus one year of $100 to helpers who worked everyday from the beginning. From what I heard they even tried to cheat them on that as well.
I got my bonus the year I jumped.

newgirl2012

Ok, so, at the risk of being called a "storyteller" once again, I have to share this with you because I am so shocked. As much as I read on this site about how people are 'disposable' and such to UPS, and honestly I didn't think those were false alligations by any means.....I went into my center today to turn in all of my browns and pick up my last check. 3 of my supervisors were all sitting right there when I walked in, and one of them jokingly said "lock the door! don't let her leave!" then all 3 of them proceeded to ask me to talk about what's going on and why I want to leave. There really is a lot more going on in my home life regarding my children than I have shared with all of you, but I have shared it with them. They told me that whatever I need to do, they would be willing to work with me. If I could only work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and need Mondays and Fridays off, they would do so. Also said if they needed to give me lighter loads so that I am home early, they could do that too. Pretty much begging me not to quit. They said I am doing "exceptionally well", that I have been
"crushing it" out there, and that they need me and want me to stay. So I came there with two bags of browns, and left with them because they said they didn't want them, and that I would be wearing them again soon anyway, and told me to take a couple weeks to think it over before I just call it quits. Is anyone else absolutely floored by this????

oldupsman

Ok, so, at the risk of being called a "storyteller" once again, I have to share this with you because I am so shocked. As much as I read on this site about how people are 'disposable' and such to UPS, and honestly I didn't think those were false alligations by any means.....I went into my center today to turn in all of my browns and pick up my last check. 3 of my supervisors were all sitting right there when I walked in, and one of them jokingly said "lock the door! don't let her leave!" then all 3 of them proceeded to ask me to talk about what's going on and why I want to leave. There really is a lot more going on in my home life regarding my children than I have shared with all of you, but I have shared it with them. They told me that whatever I need to do, they would be willing to work with me. If I could only work Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and need Mondays and Fridays off, they would do so. Also said if they needed to give me lighter loads so that I am home early, they could do that too. Pretty much begging me not to quit. They said I am doing "exceptionally well", that I have been
"crushing it" out there, and that they need me and want me to stay. So I came there with two bags of browns, and left with them because they said they didn't want them, and that I would be wearing them again soon anyway, and told me to take a couple weeks to think it over before I just call it quits. Is anyone else absolutely floored by this????
No, I'm not surprised. You are certainly doing well and that makes them look good. And good help is hard to find.
The one thing you need to remember is supervisors don't stay around forever. You might have a good group at the moment.
But that could change next week.

W

want to retire

"crushing it" out there, and that they need me and want me to stay. So I came there with two bags of browns, and left with them because they said they didn't want them, and that I would be wearing them again soon anyway, and told me to take a couple weeks to think it over before I just call it quits. Is anyone else absolutely floored by this????[/QUOTE

Ok....well, I'm calling bull**** on this one. They have offered you to name your own schedule with Mon. and Fri. off........ and oh, leave early if you need to? Wow. Are you sure you work at UPS? The brown truck place? So, you are officially unbelievable. Sorry, but this doesn't sound like the place I worked at for 32 years. You can't be that good. Maybe really attractive or something. I've never had any mgt. "work" with me about anything except what they had to do. You can't be that good. "Lock the door"? Come on! What's next?.........mgt.? You're such a find that they'll just have to promote you to keep you? Come on! Name you're own hours? Really? BTW- how did they have your "last check" ready? There is a week delay....right? Were you off a week? Come on!

PrivateVoid

Just a Guest
Interesting to see people struggling with the same issues I do. I get to see my family a great deal right now, but the pay could be better. The positive is that my benefits and retirement are excellent. Sitting here really brings home the point that there is no 'perfect' job and we all have to make choices on what is 'most' important to ourselves.

newgirl2012

"crushing it" out there, and that they need me and want me to stay. So I came there with two bags of browns, and left with them because they said they didn't want them, and that I would be wearing them again soon anyway, and told me to take a couple weeks to think it over before I just call it quits. Is anyone else absolutely floored by this????[/QUOTE

Ok....well, I'm calling bull**** on this one. They have offered you to name your own schedule with Mon. and Fri. off........ and oh, leave early if you need to? Wow. Are you sure you work at UPS? The brown truck place? So, you are officially unbelievable. Sorry, but this doesn't sound like the place I worked at for 32 years. You can't be that good. Maybe really attractive or something. I've never had any mgt. "work" with me about anything except what they had to do. You can't be that good. "Lock the door"? Come on! What's next?.........mgt.? You're such a find that they'll just have to promote you to keep you? Come on! Name you're own hours? Really? BTW- how did they have your "last check" ready? There is a week delay....right? Were you off a week? Come on!

Well, go ahead and call it. You can neither prove or disprove. There is one catch, however, that after Thanksgiving I will HAVE to work everyday and as long as it takes through the end of December cuz that's when it is the busiest they said. I really can hardly believe it myself.....BUT. as someone said before, they will tell you anything to get the work done that they need done. Right?

newgirl2012

Interesting to see people struggling with the same issues I do. I get to see my family a great deal right now, but the pay could be better. The positive is that my benefits and retirement are excellent. Sitting here really brings home the point that there is no 'perfect' job and we all have to make choices on what is 'most' important to ourselves.

So, just curious, if you were offered better pay but with that you had to see your family WAY less, would you do it?

newgirl2012

That's ok, you can. I hardly believe it myself, but, you can neither prove nor disprove this can you? I can't either for that matter. There is the catch, however, that after Thanksgiving I would HAVE to work everyday and late hours til things are done through Christmas because they said that is the busiest and they cannot work with me through that time frame.

W

want to retire

That's ok, you can. I hardly believe it myself, but, you can neither prove nor disprove this can you? I can't either for that matter. There is the catch, however, that after Thanksgiving I would HAVE to work everyday and late hours til things are done through Christmas because they said that is the busiest and they cannot work with me through that time frame.

I strongly encourage you to explore the "seniority system" at UPS. Ask your fellow co-workers about "seniority". Ask them if what you have been told meshes with anything at UPS. When you gain seniority.....you'll get to name your own schedule? Really? Ask around. I'll bet the line will form down the street with fellow co-workers trying to get the deal you have been offered. Your thread is like a badly written novel. Trite and predictable. "And before I knew it......" Come on! BTW-I can't prove it? Strange. Odd response. Lastly, knowing how routes and staffing work(you do know there is a lot of planning, manning etc.), could you imagine every driver having the same deal you have? See, that's why this is a load of crap.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I cant say she is not telling the truth, no one can. Tehy can do what they want with seasonal hires, Im all for that. If you ask 1 question at ups you will get 30 different answers, thanks Johney!

Last edited:

Johney

I cant say she is not telling the truth, no one can. Tehy can do what they want with seasonal hires, Im all for that. If you ask 30 different questions at ups you will get 30 different answers,
I think you mean If you ask one question at UPS you will get 30 different answers....maybe?:wink2:

newgirl2012

I strongly encourage you to explore the "seniority system" at UPS. Ask your fellow co-workers about "seniority". Ask them if what you have been told meshes with anything at UPS. When you gain seniority.....you'll get to name your own schedule? Really? Ask around. I'll bet the line will form down the street with fellow co-workers trying to get the deal you have been offered. Your thread is like a badly written novel. Trite and predictable. "And before I knew it......" Come on! BTW-I can't prove it? Strange. Odd response. Lastly, knowing how routes and staffing work(you do know there is a lot of planning, manning etc.), could you imagine every driver having the same deal you have? See, that's why this is a load of crap.

Grow up.

HULKAMANIA

Newgirl what are your options at this other job? Obviously you still seem twisted as to what to do with the managers calling you in and offering you days off. Could you ride it out and see if they are going to be true to their word for the duration of however long you need your schedule to be like this? Once they change it on you and completely forget what they told you. Would you still be able to quit at that point and still be able to get on at this other job?

What is your start time? I would personally hate this job with a passion if I got home at 8 everyday and if so I would move on to something else. Getting home at 7 is bad enough. It just seems to be like you still arent completely sold on this other job. Getting your foot in this company is extremely hard to do, and even harder to get your seniority. So my advice to you is if this jbo is something you want then now is your opportunity. Rarely if not ever do you get a second chance here to be a driver. Also in my opinion if you can gain your seniority as a driver and bypass Integrad by all means DO IT!

laffter

If you take a couple weeks to think about it, by the time you return, it will be peak. You will have to work every day and as long as needed through peak (right?). I'm sure that the potential deception regarding this deal occurred to you as well.

Not being in your situation, and not being a driver, I would say go ahead and put in your two months of peak. While you said that large sums of money is not what you desire, money is usually a deciding factor in peoples lives. Spending most of two months away from your younger child isn't going to cripple him/her emotionally. I'm sure you could use the money. Work through peak without the expectation to continue afterward under this verbal deal. If you are let go, then that's that, and you'll have plenty of time to spend with your kids. If they keep you on and keep their promises, then you will have something very good going for you.

anonymous4

Lol who knows if this is true, false or half-truth. I can absolutely see management coming out with lines like "don't let her leave, close the door". It is called flirtatious behavior and I see this daily with male managers and female union workers. Are some of you really shocked backdoor deals are not given? I have seen a female work Monday and Friday with the rest of the days off to fit her schedule. Obviously this isn't the case in every situation and it doesn't happen just for females, but that is one of the scenarios I can see as "plausible". Expand your minds a little bit. UPS is a testosterone rich environment, this is natural and to be expected.

Maybe you will be offered that 6-1 spot if what you say is true and you have the weak minds by the balls. In your case, assuming you aren't full of bs, I would stick it out to see if the guy with the crush goes through with it and gives you the full time position. Don't whine about hours and make yourself undesirable until then. You are in a golden position to exploit the system, don't ruin it.

Also, please stop whining about your long hours affecting your children and your "little man". As a single parent and sole provider it will be very tough for you to come close to the pay and benefits you will enjoy full time. Child care exists and don't listen to The Other Side and his garbage about latch key children. I babysat myself from age 10 up and I am awesome. Of course I smoke, drink and am twisted but the great pay at UPS will cover therapy later on in life if he needs it. You are going to work a PT job and pass this up for a kid with asthma? Perhaps you are babying this child a bit too much. In 10 years when the thing wants a car, a college education and money this will pay off. Of course he won't appreciate it at all, but you were warned ahead of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

menotyou

bella amicizia

We had a kid try and quit one year. He worked for Pepsi FT and peak was killing him. They, finally, gave him the deal of working M, tue, wed., with the rest of the week off. No ****. We were floored. So, like I always say, they make the rules and they break the rules.

i have no idea if this girl is telling the truth, but they make side deals all the time.

W

want to retire

OK.....Let's say she does get to name her own hours through peak. Fine. And, (because she seems to be God's gift) makes seniority. Fine.

How long before seniority(I mentioned this above and was told to grow up)(OK, time to grow up) rears it's ugly head?

Remember the seniority system? Overtime, extra work and all that. First whiff an upper(which will be everyone) seniority person gets of her"deal"......it will all fall apart.

Couple of grievances and boom, she's working five days till God knows when.....right? And then right back to where we started....right?

At the very least, she is being sold down the river for peak.

Or whatever makes her so attractive to the center manager/sups.(yes I said attractive) will have to payoff sooner or later(yep, I said it).

Or she'll be a center mgr. in a year(like I've seen here).