Advice For New kids wanting to join UPS.

pitdog

every "old timer" has told me to get out. 3 months after i reached top pay i injured my back. Been on comp since, that was 3 years ago. :(

J

jibbs

As saddened as I am to say it, OP proves that freedom of speech should be a privilege enjoyed and earned by the masses, not a right.

NI1

I can't complain doing a job to look at the address on a box, go to the address and drop the box off...... Making 80-90k doing that? I'm blessed

A

anonymous6

ups is probably the best thing that ever happened to my family. we bought a beautiful home that is now worth 3 times what we bought it for. my daughter got a whole new mouthful of teeth. my wife is alive because of the healthcare after 2 heart attacks and several strokes. she probably would of died over 20 years ago.

I work hard and payed my dues. now I get 6 weeks vacation, paid holidays and sick days, treated withrespect by most managers,get the best driving training in the world, and the list goes on and on. oh -ya you can even take college courses on their dime.

it all comes down to your ATTITUDE.

ibleedbrown

it's funny because most drivers have stockholm syndrome lol most of the time they buddy* and complain about how much they hate their lives but when you call them out on it they will stick up for their kidnappers.

ups is rough, when you start off part time in this economy it is hard to say the ends justify the means. at the pay rate new hires start out at and the minimum amount of hours offered at most hubs combined w the hard labor, it would be very difficult for me to refer someone to this company. now on the other hand if someone has another job to make ends meet and is willing to put in their time at ups to hopefully one day make it full time as a driver and or needs the job for the insurance, i would hope the person has really thick skin, this company is very demanding. the light at the end of the tunnel of becoming a full time driver is very lucrative money wise but as you can tell by these boards most of these guys have a very hard time on their minds and bodies, injuries, etc etc..one would really have to think long and hard if they are willing to go this route. full time combo job might be a better choice for some, less pay but also less mental stress and stress on the body.

JackStraw

High school burner here. Made 92k last year. I made more than my brothers who are teachers. Ok I work harder and longer than them and probably put up with more BS but jeez.....

J

jibbs

High school burner here. Made 92k last year. I made more than my brothers who are teachers. Ok I work harder and longer than them and probably put up with more BS but jeez.....

Man.... I never would've thought a person in any profession other than law enforcement and social services to say they might put up with more BS than (middle and high school) teachers....

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I've been blessed to work at UPS for the last 18 1/2 years.

I work hard plus I enjoy not having enough time to get things done. Makes the day fly by, unlike many of the office employees who I deliver to on a daily basis. I get paid great, plenty of vacations, respect everywhere I go, and the little kids in the neighborhoods love the brown truck.

If you can't handle hard work, this ain't the job for you.
If you need a pat on the back every time you put the right box in the right car, this ain't the job for you.
If you don't agree that the longer you work here, the more opportunities and money is at your reach, ain't the job for you either.

If you want to know where's the best taco truck in San Diego is , PM the guy who started this thread, !!!
That's where his knowledge begins and ends !!! :kickedoutsmile:

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
This entire thread is a sob story of a bunch of punks who want the big bucks, but are too lazy or mentally weak to tough it out. If you are in a situation where you need to make 50k a year right away, yeah this probably is not the job for you. I started at 18 and grinded it out, sometimes 2 or 3 jobs to make the kind of money I wanted. Now, almost 8 years and 6 years of driving later, it feels good making 85k a year at one job. Then again I appreciate what I have and what I do because I WORKED FOR IT. it's like the old saying goes, if you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen. Not too many 26 year olds making 85k out there, and if you are, your probably in debt to your ears in student debt.

To any new applicants, the job is what you make it. Just be ready to work. And then work some more