advice needed. fired for insubordination

upsmob

My first job straight out of high school was a dock worker for ups freight in 2008. Got my class A in 2010 and was reclassified to p&d driver and been driving since. Recently we got a new T.M and was told every driver needed to get their tankers endorsement by July 9,2015 or else you could not drive until u get it. My terminal was so short handed at the time I couldn't get the endorsement by the deadline. Me and my T.M agreed I'd go to dmv July 16,2015 to get my endorsement. 45min of me being at dmv T.M calls me to leave dmv right away and head back to work to start driving. I refused to go back until I was done at dmv. I go back when I was done I was sent home. I go in to work next day I'm told I'm discharged for insubordination. Should I get a labor attorney or did I mess up big time?

sppollock

Have you filed a grievance? Where you on company time? This was a required item that could of been done on the weekend but since you had a prior agreement then no you should not of been fired.

NOOBZ

You have to file a grievance to have Union try to get your job back. If you don't file then your @ss out. Nobody will fight for you if you don't file. You'll be dust in the wind.

Skeeters

My first job straight out of high school was a dock worker for ups freight in 2008. Got my class A in 2010 and was reclassified to p&d driver and been driving since. Recently we got a new T.M and was told every driver needed to get their tankers endorsement by July 9,2015 or else you could not drive until u get it. My terminal was so short handed at the time I couldn't get the endorsement by the deadline. Me and my T.M agreed I'd go to dmv July 16,2015 to get my endorsement. 45min of me being at dmv T.M calls me to leave dmv right away and head back to work to start driving. I refused to go back until I was done at dmv. I go back when I was done I was sent home. I go in to work next day I'm told I'm discharged for insubordination. Should I get a labor attorney or did I mess up big time?

If it happened exactly like you have described the union will get your job back. But if you was also working that day and made the DMV one of your stops and refused a dispatch. Well, that does change things. Your word against theirs and so on. I'm betting the union will get your job back but without back pay.

upsmob

Have you filed a grievance? Where you on company time? This was a required item that could of been done on the weekend but since you had a prior agreement then no you should not of been fired.
Yes I filed a grievance. No I was not on company time. But union did get my job back.

upsmob

If it happened exactly like you have described the union will get your job back. But if you was also working that day and made the DMV one of your stops and refused a dispatch. Well, that does change things. Your word against theirs and so on. I'm betting the union will get your job back but without back pay.
Thanks. The union did get my job.

NOOBZ

Yes I did file n they did get my job back thanks for advice
No problem man. It's our job to stick together. Always, always file if your unsure..... It may or may not work but if you don't file you'll always get the wrong end of stick and union won't do it for you. Always fight, for your right..... To party... Sorry could help my self