Advice needed...

jmfarrell04

I am an overnight loader...I worked last night, but was fighting through serious bouts of dizziness and nausea...they said most likely heat exhaustion. Supervisor knows whats going on...didn't get any better today...tried calling in around 3...was told if I'm going to call in to do it around 10 when the overnight crew gets there. Start time is 10:45. Can you really call in an hour before a shift starts?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I believe the general guideline is to let your management team know at least an hour before start time that you won't be available to work.

Nimnim

The Nim
Yeah, they want you to call in no later than 1 hour before sort starts, I usually aim for 2 if I'm calling in. It also helps to get your PT and FT sup phone numbers so you can call them as well.

They tried to document me for a nocall when I overslept and called in an hour after sort started. It's best to get your bases covered and make sure you talk to someone.

If you're still not feeling well, rest and keep hydrated. I'm not sure where you work but heat exhaustion can be quite common depending on area and shouldn't be taken lightly.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I am an overnight loader...I worked last night, but was fighting through serious bouts of dizziness and nausea...they said most likely heat exhaustion. Supervisor knows whats going on...didn't get any better today...tried calling in around 3...was told if I'm going to call in to do it around 10 when the overnight crew gets there. Start time is 10:45. Can you really call in an hour before a shift starts?

If you are seriously suffering from a heat related disorder, you need to go to the doctor and get treated for it ASAP. We had a guy go down a few weeks ago, went to the hospital and had only 20% kidney function!! Will have to live with kidney problems the rest of his life most likely. Dehydration and heat related illness is nothing to play around with!!

upsgrunt

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but it is an hour before start time requirement for call ins.

This is the reason why some post counts are inflated.

If you are seriously suffering from a heat related disorder, you need to go to the doctor and get treated for it ASAP. We had a guy go down a few weeks ago, went to the hospital and had only 20% kidney function!! Will have to live with kidney problems the rest of his life most likely. Dehydration and heat related illness is nothing to play around with!!
The correct advice above, and be sure to call at least an hour in advance of you start time.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
And remember to call in at least one hour before on the day you plan on returning back to work.

( technically known as booking off and booking on )

iamupser

Grease Monkey

Is he on comp for that since it was work related?

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
And remember to call in at least one hour before on the day you plan on returning back to work.

( technically known as booking off and booking on )

We do not have that option here. You must call every day your going to be gone unless you take FMLA, Disability or Comp.