Advice on a minor injury

Cincypackagehandler

So today at work I was picking the weak side and I came down to help out the loaders for a few minutes while the flow slowed down a bit and when I was breaking a jam in one of the loads I slipped and broke my fall with my wrist pretty hard. It hurt pretty bad for a minute but then I shook it off and I felt like I was okay to continue working. I told my sup about it but I reassured him that I was fine and I was good to work. When I got off the pain has increased and if it feels like this tomorrow I'm not going to work with it hurting like this. I cant put too much pressure on it and even holding a glass of water gives me a decent level of discomfort. If it does feel like this tomorrow should I go in and tell my sup about it or should I call off? It did happen at work and I may have it looked at by a doctor. What is the best way to go about this?

salt

Go into work and inform your sup that you injured your wrist and you need to have it checked out. As long as your not doing drugs because the could drug test you. You have no problem. You told him about it so you already did the right thing. Get it checked out it could end up being a sprain or it could end up being much worse.

Sent using BrownCafe App

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Go into work and inform your sup that you injured your wrist and you need to have it checked out. As long as your not doing drugs because the could drug test you. You have no problem. You told him about it so you already did the right thing. Get it checked out it could end up being a sprain or it could end up being much worse.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Yes...exactly...what he said. If you want to go to the doctor...and you should....tell them you need to fill out an accident report and be sure to get a worker's comp claim number from a sup. DON'T let management try to discourage you from officially reporting the injury.

Z

ZQXC

Sent using BrownCafe App

It astounds me that this consideration would even factor in to the process of reporting an injury.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Report it and see the company doctor. If you wanted to go into management, now is your chance. They will promote you fast as you are now limp wristed.

keeb86

Yes...exactly...what he said. If you want to go to the doctor...and you should....tell them you need to fill out an accident report and be sure to get a worker's comp claim number from a sup. DON'T let management try to discourage you from officially reporting the injury.
This

Sent using BrownCafe App

J

jibbs

I dunno, every time I've even looked like I may've injured myself I get swarmed with supervisors and the safety lady and I have to run through the DOK while I work for the next 20min. Then I come in the next day to the safety lady waiting with a clipboard at the door to ask me how I'm doing, "Man, I thought you were gonna call out today! So hey, what are the 5 keys to preventing slips and falls?"

And it seems like they circle around me for days like vultures after that, man. I'm not reporting :censored2: unless I've got a broken bone, a torn muscle/ligament or an open wound, and the worst part is I've never reported a single injury at work or been on workers comp my entire life. There's no history to be wary of there. I don't friend*ing get it, man...

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It astounds me that this consideration would even factor in to the process of reporting an injury.
Not at UPS....but i used to work for a corporate restaurant chain (similar to TGI Friday's). If an employee was injured on the job..they had to get a drug test within 24 hours of reporting the injury.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I dunno, ever y time I've even looked like I may've injured myself I get swarmed with supervisors and the safety lady and I have to run through the DOK while I work for the next 20min. Then I come in the next day to the safety lady waiting with a clipboard at the door to ask me how I'm doing, "Man, I thought you were gonna call out today! So hey, what are the 5 keys to preventing slips and falls?"

And it seems like they circle around me for days like vultures after that, man. I'm not reporting :censored2: unless I've got a broken bone, a torn muscle/ligament or an open wound, and the worst part is I've never reported a single injury at work or been on workers comp my entire life. There's no history to be wary of there. I don't friend*ing get it, man...
Lol Jibbs....you should see how they act when you actually fill out an accident report...and get assigned to TAW. Screw them....let em watch you load. Wave at them every so often...and ask if they'd like some popcorn....lol. Just follow the methods and don't let em see you doing anything we technically not allowed to do. And dont ever be intimidated to report a seemingly minor injury....Cover your :censored2:.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS pressures and harasses employees to not fill out injury reports. Don't want to make UPS look like an unsafe workplace do we?

J

jibbs

And dont ever be intimidated to report a seemingly minor injury....Cover your :censored2:.

It's more stress than intimidation. I hate having to dance around the buddy* while trying to handle my pull. It'd be much different if they would pull an employee from their spot to do a DOK demonstration instead of hitting you with a quiz while the belt's forcing packages down your throat.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
It's more stress than intimidation. I hate having to dance around the buddy* while trying to handle my pull. It'd be much different if they would pull an employee from their spot to do a DOK demonstration instead of hitting you with a quiz while the belt's forcing packages down your throat.
Make her follow you in and out of your trucks so you can answer as you work...if she won't...ask for your steward. And just explain that you don't feel you can work safely while being distracted with dok questions.

J

jibbs

Make her follow you in and out of your trucks so you can answer as you work...if she won't...ask for your steward. And just explain that you don't feel you can work safely while being distracted with dok questions.

No, see, that's what she does and that's why I have to dance around her. If I hit an about-face trying to clear the belt in front of my trucks I smash into her. I can't stack packages on the belt and let them come to the trucks because I have to go around her. Then she thinks it'll help to start pulling boxes for one of my four trucks off the belt and stacking them on the ground in front of the trucks, making my "dance-around-the-bitch-so-i-can-load"-room (also known as a walkway) even smaller.

Basically, I don't like people in my space (even passively) while I'm loading. That's my issue, for the most part. Take a passive obstacle and turn it into one that officially quizzes me on depth of knowledge and I'm gonna need a cigarette every time we run into each other.

upschuck

If you do miss work because of this injury, you will pay more to TeamCare than you will receive in comp. Just sayin'.
What? He wouldn't have to pay anything......work related injury, company pays. Sounds like management scare tactics to convince him not to go to the doctor.

oldngray

nowhere special
What? He wouldn't have to pay anything......work related injury, company pays. Sounds like management scare tactics to convince him not to go to the doctor.

UPS will make him do a lot of safety junk if he fills out an injury report. Attempting to discourage employees through the hassle it creates.

Johney

No, see, that's what she does and that's why I have to dance around her. If I hit an about-face trying to clear the belt in front of my trucks I smash into her. I can't stack packages on the belt and let them come to the trucks because I have to go around her. Then she thinks it'll help to start pulling boxes for one of my four trucks off the belt and stacking them on the ground in front of the trucks, making my "dance-around-the-bitch-so-i-can-load"-room (also known as a walkway) even smaller.

Basically, I don't like people in my space (even passively) while I'm loading. That's my issue, for the most part. Take a passive obstacle and turn it into one that officially quizzes me on depth of knowledge and I'm gonna need a cigarette every time we run into each other.
Then just stand there and do nothing while answering her questions. Let it pile up and when they ask why you are behind point to her.

Johney

UPS pressures and harasses employees to not fill out injury reports. Don't want to make UPS look like an unsafe workplace do we?
While that is true, I believe that comp claims and expenses are charged to each center's budget. Each center is a business and they have to show profit and accidents and comp cut into the budget. Accident's while they can't be pushed aside they may pressure some out of filing a injury report. I could be wrong though.