Advice on how to deal with driving stress?

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Again no. I love the heat when I beat. It's like Autoerotic asphyxia. I sit in the back sweating and about to pass out and then...
View attachment 408908

I feel like we would be good friends.

Would you say "BEST friends"?

Yes. Yes I would.

Seriously brother. I learned back when I was doing a nickle in the pen that a fifi helps get you through the days.

There’s nothing wrong with that. We have all wacked in the back. We need to pull together to make sure they don’t put cargo facing cameras.

Can I transfer to your building and we could be the best friends that ever could be

Come on down!

giphy.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I’ve been driving for over 2 years now and have acquired a lot of seniority that time so that I can bid on some pretty good routes. I’ve also definitely become a better and safer driver during that time. However, I still can’t seem to shake the fear of getting into an accident. I know the union offers job protection but trying to make it 30 years without an accident seems like kind of a daunting feat. Can any vets offer some kind of advice on how to get out of this mindset? Once I’m on the road I’m not too worried about but before I start I just get kind of anxious.

Zowert

Just assume everyone on the road is an idiot trying to kill you. It’s alright to be aggressive once in a while but being an overall defensive driver will keep you out of trouble.

Gabba

It's a vicious cycle
trying to make it 30 years without an accident seems like kind of a daunting feat. Can any vets offer some kind of advice on how to get out of this mindset?
Easy. it's just like having a brand new car, scratch it up a little and you'll be free of the worry of its perfect paint job being ruined. get into an accident and you won't anymore be able to screw up your chance at getting that 30 year patch. I know it sounds like i'm being snarky, but i'm totally serious. if it's causing you any amount of mental anguish you should really just give it up, i mean if it's bad now, imagine how frazzled you'll be every day of your 29th year clean? you'd probably straight kill yourself if you bungled it then.

Whither

Scofflaw
I don’t care about getting a jacket or a parking spot. I know accidents happen but obviously its not something you want to have happen. Being a ups driver feels like trying to do your job (delivering packages) while going through an obstacle course. But like I said once I’m on the road I’m not too worried about it.
I would say get involved in strengthening the union - if you're not already. Read the contract, ask your officers and knowledgeable coworkers questions, enforce the contract, talk with your brothers and sisters about what we can do to improve our working conditions and livelihoods, and encourage them little by little to get involved too. There's a whole career's worth valuable work to do, and it might help keep your mind off anxiety before start time about getting into an accident.

DOK

I’ve been driving for over 2 years now and have acquired a lot of seniority that time so that I can bid on some pretty good routes. I’ve also definitely become a better and safer driver during that time. However, I still can’t seem to shake the fear of getting into an accident. I know the union offers job protection but trying to make it 30 years without an accident seems like kind of a daunting feat. Can any vets offer some kind of advice on how to get out of this mindset? Once I’m on the road I’m not too worried about but before I start I just get kind of anxious.
One stop at a time, then before you know it you’ll be approaching retirement.