Advice: Stay or Go?

gfundies

I'm a part time loader at UPS (Night Sort). I've worked hard (I typically load close to 500 packages and hr). My main draw to this job was that I hate customers but I don't mind working. I've enjoyed it more than all my previous jobs and as student the earn and learn has allowed me to get my associates cost free. I've been here 2+ years which isn't a ton of seniority but there are actually only 2 or 3 loaders with more seniority on my shift. Anyways, I've transferred to a 4 year university and it's over an hour away and to top it off I'm losing my apartment soon. I'm seeking advice on what to do. My options are stay here or quit and move closer to college.

If I stay here I can continue getting assistance and graduate with less debt. Also I'm turning 26 this year so the insurance is nice to have but the commute will be terrible and my sleep schedule will be a mess too.

If I move out there I have to find a new job and apartment. My overall cost will be more but I won't have to drive near as much and scheduling my classes will be much easier too. Also I doubt I'll find another part-time hours that doesn't deal with customers (I can deal with customers but I truly hate it :( )

I know you can't decide for me but I'd like to hear what others would do in my situation. So, would you stay or would go?

AlliSeeisBrown

Honestly I'd say it would depend on the availability to tailor the class schedule to your work commute. The tuition assistance and benefits are real. UPS typically won't flex so you'll have to work your classes around that. For me it wasn't hard to do until picking the classes that I absolutely needed to graduate.

Also think about what we don't know. Your lifestyle. Are you ready to make the commitment to not be able to make friends after classes because you have to go shuffle packages into a trailer? For me, a full day of classes was more tiring than hard physical labor. Idk why but thats the way it was so I enjoyed my naps after class lol.

At most universities Thursday and Friday night were the go to a frat party and get drunk as hell and get with loose sorostitutes (sorority girls). You ready to give that up? Don't think about calling out too much either because I think you need 80 hours a month to claim those bennies, otherwise you'll be paying for that. I could be mistaken about that. Just think about what you're willing to sacrifice, that's all I'm saying.

Duckwithapipboy

If you can handle college and UPS, and have reliable transportation for the commute, you can request a stagger on days you have classes. Talk with your HR retention officer and they can see if your shift's FT'er would be willing to make an exception. They won't bend over backwards, but if it is a reasonable time they might.

upschuck

Can you transfer to another building closer to your new school? You'd be at the bottom of the list, but still keep pay and benefits.

watdaflock?

'm a part time loader at UPS (Night Sort). I've worked hard (I typically load close to 500 packages and hr). My main draw to this job was that I hate customers but I don't mind working. I've enjoyed it more than all my previous jobs and as student the earn and learn has allowed me to get my associates cost free. I've been here 2+ years which isn't a ton of seniority but there are actually only 2 or 3 loaders with more seniority on my shift. Anyways, I've transferred to a 4 year university and it's over an hour away and to top it off I'm losing my apartment soon. I'm seeking advice on what to do. My options are stay here or quit and move closer to college.

If I stay here I can continue getting assistance and graduate with less debt. Also I'm turning 26 this year so the insurance is nice to have but the commute will be terrible and my sleep schedule will be a mess too.

If I move out there I have to find a new job and apartment. My overall cost will be more but I won't have to drive near as much and scheduling my classes will be much easier too. Also I doubt I'll find another part-time hours that doesn't deal with customers (I can deal with customers but I truly hate it :( )

I know you can't decide for me but I'd like to hear what others would do in my situation. So, would you stay or would go?

Most likely go but first I'd figure out whatever hub is closest to the four year university. Talk to your stu' or union hall. Hopefully you've paid them enough in your 2+ years that they actually help you.