AEX Group is just like FedEx Ground / HD...

HomeDelivery

So I was thinking about being an owner-operator in the future, but with the crap going around with ISP and all that drama, I'm putting it in the backburner...

I always seen the AEX Group posting ads on craigslist every few months & did a lookup about how they're similar to what's going on with Ground/ Home Delivery

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/opinions/12d0250p.pdf

Plaintiffs assert this classification (being independent contractors) is improper because AEX completely controls the manner, method, and means of each driver’s work,
thereby creating an employer-employee relationship under Pennsylvania law.

a few paragraphs down also refers to the losing battle of FedEx Ground as well...

sounds familiar, eh?

and another firm in District of Columbia are also losing the battle:

JGL Attorneys Jay Holland and Brian Markovitz Bring Class Action Against Delivery Company for Misclassifying its Drivers as "Independent Contractors" Instead of "Employees" Depriving Drivers of Proper Wages and Overtime Pay - Law Firm Joseph, Greenwa

AEX is a courier service that employs over 450 people in Washington and at least four states: Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware and Pennsylvania.

sure, it's a smaller company, but I see similarities with other types of independent contractor/ owner-operators.

Priority Express was another that I see on the wanted ads from time to time as well (they were AVON couriers, I believe?)

Glassdoor.com quotes:

You are an independent contractor, but management will treat you like your an employee on THEIR terms.
They will make you drive in inclement weather .
They do not care about their drivers at all

at least with FedEx, there's a steady influx of work and growth potential...

bbsam

Staff member
There was a link in another thread that explained it quite well. The blur between IC and employee is by law and by design and not likely to change. There will always be these challenges.

HomeDelivery

i'll try to find it since most of that pdf file turns into mumbo-jumbo & that's where they get lost and fall through the cracks...

I cringe when my boss starts the weekly meetings with, "the following is FedEx's policy; if you guys don't follow it, I will lose my contract!"

(so yea, we're really employees of FedEx & the subcontractor/ ISP are just the middle-man to take the brunt of the operating expenses)