After 6 and some change years....

Zeus70

I finally have an easy job.

I am now PAS/SPA guy.

I get to scan packages for 16 and hr. Isnt life grand?
Its not going to be easy. Pay attention to the address on the label, and make sure you get the right PAL label on the right package. You dont want to have a talking to by the man do you.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Its not going to be easy. Pay attention to the address on the label, and make sure you get the right PAL label on the right package. You dont want to have a talking to by the man do you.

No it is easy.

I check every third or fourth package to make sure i am still synced.

I had no problems the last two nights and am just as fast if not faster then the other three I am working with.

Theres a reason I had to fight to get this job, they didn't want to move me from the boxline.

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
Congrats man, it took me 12 years of loading and two knee surgeries before i was smart enough to take the dollar drop in pay for the SPA position. Ive been doing it now for about a year and hear no complaints from the sups. I guess doing 9000+ a night and not having a mistake week after week soilidified the position, but its kinda disappointing to see incentive programs set up for everyone who isnt doing the job (ugggh can these loaders at least get some of the boxes on the right cars???) , but if youre at the top of your game, you just get the hose.

preloader

Bleeding Brown from ears
time for you to sign up on the drivers list.:laugh:

I will gladly saw off my legs before that happens. Being on preload for 13+ now, i make enough in my five hours that i dont feel i need to start working 9, 10, 12 hours a day or more. Thanks, but i like my life too much to make that kind of change over the almighty dollar. Would the money help? probably. But hey, i got my raise today........

Overpaid Union Thug

Since our new full-time driver jobs were frozen and there seems to be no end in sight I was thinking about moving to preload and taking one of the new SPA jobs once we get PAS up and running. Preload gets more hours than my shift and since PAS/EDD will probably cut routes and the need for part-time cover drivers I will probably not be on the road much. We are also going to have a couple other clerical jobs added for PAS. I think their job will be to fix labels that the SPA people can't scan. These new jobs won't be considered skilled jobs so I'm guessing management can put whoever they want on them but the right thing to do is go by company seniority. I've been on reload from the beginning (going on 9 years) so I don't know how seniority ties into job selection once someone moves from one shift to another. So my question is that. Can I move to preload and exercise my company seniority and take one of the new jobs or will I probably be stuck unloading trailers or loading package cars?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
So my question is that. Can I move to preload and exercise my company seniority and take one of the new jobs or will I probably be stuck unloading trailers or loading package cars?

I'm waaaay out of my depth here but I know several guys that have transferred sorts AND kept their seniority. They were sorters on Reload (Twilight) and did the same on my sort. I hate to say it but its my opinion that one's seniority should only apply to one's original sort. Any transferring whatsoever should put that individual at the bottom of the list as far as job selection or work (unloading trailers or loading) IMHO. -Rocky

Overpaid Union Thug

I'm waaaay out of my depth here but I know several guys that have transferred sorts AND kept their seniority. They were sorters on Reload (Twilight) and did the same on my sort. I hate to say it but its my opinion that one's seniority should only apply to one's original sort. Any transferring whatsoever should put that individual at the bottom of the list as far as job selection or work (unloading trailers or loading) IMHO. -Rocky

When transfering from one part-time job to another I think company seniority should prevail once the person qualifies. That is just the right thing to do. The only time where someone's company seniority shouldn't prevail is when they move from part-time to full-time. Example: I have 9 years at UPS and you have 5 but you went full-time first because I was still in college when it was offered. If I later go full-time you would have seniority over me because you went full-time first. But for a part-timer to move shifts and not have seniority rights over another part-timer with less seniority doesn't seem right. To me anyway.

Channahon

Just surprised to hear you took this job - sounded like you were interested in PE, thought you were looking for a career change away from packages, that's all

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Just surprised to hear you took this job - sounded like you were interested in PE, thought you were looking for a career change away from packages, that's all

I want to stay in the same union. I talked with PE and they told me basically I would have to quit my UPS package handling job and then get rehired with them.

I don't know if it is like this everywhere, but this did not sound appealing to me after the time I have invested already.

It's not that I want to leave package operations, I was just keeping my eyes open....

BTW this pas job is the ****, I just stand there with my thumb in my recturm listening to my tunes.