After Christmas Feeder cuts?

DownsizedUPS'er

missing my UPS family
I think what feeder is trying to say that it does absolutely no good to worry about something that you have no control over. You are right that you should keep your options open in the event that the layoffs do become a reality but you should not obsess over it.

agreed, but it is very scary. when they came in to tell us that our dept was now impacted and being downsized, it was like the floor fell out from underneith us. people (in other depts) were going to be "bumped" and then themselves be impacted. it was ugly and it was sad and sacry. i hope no one else has to go through that and that UPS stops the outsouring.

New Englander

I think what feeder is trying to say that it does absolutely no good to worry about something that you have no control over. You are right that you should keep your options open in the event that the layoffs do become a reality but you should not obsess over it.

Think of poor Chicken Little!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Think of poor Chicken Little!

Sometimes the sky can fall inside a building...like the Innoplex.

P1300024-1.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hoax, if your ceiling is falling on your head, then thats just another reason to close the Innoplex.

We have a tiny Feeder dept of 37 where I am at, I don't know how many will be cut. I was told today that Peak volume is dropping like crazy, we have been sending Cover Drivers home and package routes are being cut out. We will have even more routes cut out Monday, eight working days before Christmas? I have never seen anything like this before.

tieguy

Banned
I'm pretty much privy to region level information and I don't understand how any operation can determine they will cut x amount of runs outside of the normal types of post peak run cuts that you put in for a couple of days.

We got hammered with volume last week saw a big drop but still peak volume levels this week. I think next week could be off the hook. As people enter next week they will realize that christmas is only one week away.

a new variable to the last minute rush may be a national free shipping day scheduled for dec 18th, 2008

http://www.freeshippingday.com/

It will be interesting to see what it does to our last minute rush.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I'm pretty much privy to region level information and I don't understand how any operation can determine they will cut x amount of runs outside of the normal types of post peak run cuts that you put in for a couple of days.

We got hammered with volume last week saw a big drop but still peak volume levels this week. I think next week could be off the hook. As people enter next week they will realize that christmas is only one week away.

a new variable to the last minute rush may be a national free shipping day scheduled for dec 18th, 2008

http://www.freeshippingday.com/

It will be interesting to see what it does to our last minute rush.

We got crushed yesterday in the largest hub in New England and still just under 2 weeks away from x-mas. The volume isn't astronomical but it is decent.

raceanoncr

I thought you glory boys in the fancy tractors had automatics so it can`t be from pushing in the clutch.:happy2:

There were times driving thru 80/94 and 294 on the way to YOUR building that I wish we had autos. Thot clutch leg was gonna start looking like Popeye-leg.

xracer

We have 19 runs and there is talk of cutting 3, but I really don't see how it will happen. :dissapointed: I really hope it won't happen. Kinda hoping DHL volume will help.

Wow what a coincidence we have 19 routes in our bldg also and they already put up the sheet cutting 3 routes and bumps will begin on Monday. There will also be 4 peak routes cut, so out of the 23 full time seniority feeder drivers 16 will still have a bid route as of the new year. Of the three routes that are being cut one is a newly established route that is only a few months old a second is cut every year at this time while the third is the only route that is one that has not been previously cut.

rushfan

Yep, stay out of the rumor mill!

We have 2 backups in package this Christmas, however, the gypos or jypos are being used extensively. UPS always was and is a rumor mill. I just don't see how, at least in my dept., how the runs can be consolidated, canceled. Our hub runs a lot of volume to smaller centers.

Now, bypass runs, that's another story.

If anything happens, I'll have to buy some running shoes to get back into shape.

browniehound

....and ZERO Chema feeder drivers will be going back to package. This is because we currently have 8 people on comp.

As these people return from comp, the plan will be subject to change....

How the heck is there 8 people in FEEDERS on comp.??? Good grief! Are they too fat to fit behind the wheel? LOL.

outta hours

How the heck is there 8 people in FEEDERS on comp.??? Good grief! Are they too fat to fit behind the wheel? LOL.

All the equipment in feeders is large,heavy,dangerous,unforgiving. Even the slightest miscalculation when using said equipment can result in serious injury or even death.

To see for yourself try any of the following tasks the most feeder drivers perform numerous times safely each day and night.

1.Move a converter dolly by hand up or down an incline to a trailer. Then maneuver it into place without smashing your hand in the pintle hook.
2. Climb up into a dark trailer and pull down the back door without the aid of a strap that is not there, all of this in total darkness.
3. Pull the 5th wheel release with one arm only while bent down almost to your knees and wedged between two trailers to release the trailer form the tractor.
4. Crank the legs up on a 100% heavy loaded trailer.
5. Try to pry open with your hands, the barn doors on a rail or chassis trailer that is 100% or that the doors are warped.
6. Lift up the back door of a full trailer that does not have a load retainer,to try and check the pkgs. for the correct destination. After the last 3 walls have fallen against the door as it was parked on a pad. ( many times a forklift is needed to do this) But you don't know it until you try yourself first.

There are many other things, but I'm trying not to hijack this thread. I am 6'4" and weigh 265 pounds . I'm not saying that I am super strong but would wager that I am stronger than some. It is difficult for me to have the strength to accomplish some of these tasks from time to time. I know it must be even more difficult for some of my smaller brothers and sisters to do these things. All of this done in dark or very low light conditions.

I understand the jest in your comment but I felt compelled to give some explanation how a feeder driver could be injured. Feeder work is dangerous work that not everyone can do. Most often we are ridiculed by those who have know real idea what dangers the job entails. I have done your job. Have you or could you do mine?

Feeder drivers may be fat but at least we can come up with jokes that are fresher than from the Nixon era. Plus any goofball can drive a glorified minivan.

outta hours

Back on topic we had 3 drivers go back to package next week. Not unusual for this time of year. They will be back up before long. And they already have a list up for a new school of feeder drivers.