after Christmas preload changes

konsole

I heard from the grapevine that this might happen, no guarantees yet though and it sounds like something that was just mentioned as a possibility to PT sups. Not sure if this is specific to our building or some or all or what. I heard that after Christmas the start time for the preload could be pushed back about an hour and the preloaders will go from loading 3 trucks to 4. I assume this would mean that 1 out of every 3/4 preloaders will be let go since 3 people will then be doing the work of 4 people. So that would mean 1 or 2 people per belt let go. This past year preloaders at our building did 3 trucks in 3.5 hours so 70 minutes each, but an extra hour woud only mean this 4th truck would only get 60 minutes to load. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Dustyroads

In lots of places that would mean changing a lot of feeder runs, and in hubs that work around the clock, it would mean some serious changes in all of the schedules. In many buildings it would be very difficult to just move the preload shift one hour earlier without major disruption of other sort, load and reload operations.

It could happen, however, the earth may shift on its axis in 2012, too, but I've not given away any of my worldly possessions in anticipation of that big change. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over either possibility.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In lots of places that would mean changing a lot of feeder runs, and in hubs that work around the clock, it would mean some serious changes in all of the schedules. In many buildings it would be very difficult to just move the preload shift one hour earlier without major disruption of other sort, load and reload operations.

It could happen, however, the earth may shift on its axis in 2012, too, but I've not given away any of my worldly possessions in anticipation of that big change. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over either possibility.

Whatever happens rest assured you will be asked to do more with less time. Occasionally my loader gets a 4th truck to load. Works real well. I get to go load half my truck when I should be on the street serving our remaining customers.

Dustyroads

Giving loaders an extra truck when volume drops after christmas isn't the newest idea at ups. It's kind of like saying, "I heard that right after Christmas, UPS is going to fire all of their seasonal workers, and lay off a number of their bottom seniority drivers and split up the work from those trucks to the remaining drivers."

I'm not trying to be nasty, I'm just sayin' we've seen that for all of the 30 years I've been working for UPS.

As for this particular preload rumor, it would be more believable if you had said, the loaders will all be getting an extra truck, but will begin at the same start time, expecting them to load four trucks in the time that they loaded three before. Now, that's a rumor I can get my arms around. You lost me with the "starting an extra hour earlier" part of the story.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I heard from the grapevine that this might happen, no guarantees yet though and it sounds like something that was just mentioned as a possibility to PT sups. Not sure if this is specific to our building or some or all or what. I heard that after Christmas the start time for the preload could be pushed back about an hour and the preloaders will go from loading 3 trucks to 4. I assume this would mean that 1 out of every 3/4 preloaders will be let go since 3 people will then be doing the work of 4 people. So that would mean 1 or 2 people per belt let go. This past year preloaders at our building did 3 trucks in 3.5 hours so 70 minutes each, but an extra hour woud only mean this 4th truck would only get 60 minutes to load. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

That's been a rumor every year in Norwood since PAS came in 2005. I wouldn't worry about it. With belt to car preload and that ridiculous building design, I doubt it. Preloaded there for the better part of 5 years, there is no way you can load 4 cars unless the package volume REALLY drops drastically.

PaidDriveTime?

What do you mean there is no way to load 4 cars unless volume drops drastically. Over half the preloaders in our building load 4 cars, and I used to load 5 two to three times a week.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
What do you mean there is no way to load 4 cars unless volume drops drastically. Over half the preloaders in our building load 4 cars, and I used to load 5 two to three times a week.

Every building operation is different. Plus I gave a at least 2 reasons, maybe you failed to read them.

UPSGUY72

That's been a rumor every year in Norwood since PAS came in 2005. I wouldn't worry about it. With belt to car preload and that ridiculous building design, I doubt it. Preloaded there for the better part of 5 years, there is no way you can load 4 cars unless the package volume REALLY drops drastically.

Well they could just slow the belt down

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Well they could just slow the belt down

IMO, there is no way that is going to happen. Maybe you were making a joke with that one. Again, the building design works against the flow they try to push in that particular location. It is a typical preload/night sort building where the primary is attached to the preload by the pickoffs. if anything, if the package volume drops ,there would be a greater push to get the primary out quicker and therefore slowing the belt-to-car would work against that.

cuongcrystal

I don't think it's the number of trucks you load matters, but the total volume. If you load 4 trucks with less volume than someone loads 3 trucks, it maybe easier for you. Personally, I think the weights and sizes of the packages matter a lot too. If they're not too big or heavy, you would be able to move faster, therefore the job is easier for you.