After Qualifying For Retirement , Did Your Attitude and Blood Pressure Change?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
some of the guys at work say that things get much easier after they have qualified for retirement. they are more laid back, managers tend to leave them alone, their blood pressure goes back to normal.

sounds like heaven.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
As little as I cared before, I cared even less once I made the decision.

Still did my job at the same level, but all the stress went away.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
As little as I cared before, I cared even less once I made the decision.

Still did my job at the same level, but all the stress went away.
Where does the stress come from. Been doing this job about 30 years and honestly say it has all been stress free. One stop at a time.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Where does the stress come from. Been doing this job about 30 years and honestly say it has all been stress free. One stop at a time.

You are right. I probably should have said projected pressure or perceived stress.

Mostly it was, what are they gonna do, fire me?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
One moment of lack of attention and a resulting accident can cause one to lose their job ... most people would consider that a sword shadow of stress.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
One moment of lack of attention and a resulting accident can cause one to lose their job ... most people would consider that a sword shadow of stress.
At least we have some union protection against job loss. Most working people are at will employees and can be let go for little if any reason.

Notretiredyet

Hit the 30FT mark in the next few months, can't wait. Planning to work till 2017 to get the CS pension increase which will help make up for my spousal support deduction if I take it. I think I see a light at the end of tunnel.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
How old are you bottomsup? And how long you plan on doing this job ? I got 21 yrs and I'm 45. I'm hoping to work till I'm 60.
55 years old. Was planning on working until November, 2017.
Just had a massive rupture of my rotator cuff. Depending how rehab goes, I might be done this year.
Starting to really hate winters and my condo in Kauai calls louder everyday.

oldupsman

some of the guys at work say that things get much easier after they have qualified for retirement. they are more laid back, managers tend to leave them alone, their blood pressure goes back to normal.

sounds like heaven.

All true. But I still put pressure on myself to do the job right and take care of my customers. That was because I had the
same route for 25 years. Could never allow myself to say"Aw, bleep it, I'll get it tomorrow." I knew alot of people from the day
the kid was born to seeing the same kid graduate from college.

The Milkman

sounds like heaven.

Yes..once you qualify you can relax knowing that you can hang it up anytime you want. And for the most part Mgmt would love to see you go anyway to make room for the lower paid replacements coming down the pipe..And My blood pressure did go down after I retired...I told them when I reached that point that I was seriously thinking of setting at date just to put them on notice..On my last day as with many others the center manager did not even come to say adios...just another day at Big Brown..another number to replace

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
At least we have some union protection against job loss. Most working people are at will employees and can be let go for little if any reason.

I just don't see the union protection anymore. Seems the union is giving UPS more and more. I can see a flicker of light now. Just hope it's not a train.

The Milkman

I just don't see the union protection anymore. Seems the union is giving UPS more and more. I can see a flicker of light now. Just hope it's not a train.

Before long the Union won't have anything left to bargain with...Great benefits earned in years past being taken away little by little..This past contract was a good example of what you can expect to lose by not sticking together, benefits fought for and won by former Teamsters in a different era. Sadly benefits lost by today's members , the same members who will be paying the price in the future dealt by their own hand

Packmule

Overall, I'm calmer about the job. My problem is the DOT physical. White coat syndrome to be specific. Started with hearing problems, but I can see lots of people having bigger problems with body mass issues, sleep apnea, arthritis in knees and hips, etc. DOT is hell bent to find anything they can to kill your career. And if you are young and smoke, forget it. You're wasting your time here. You'll never see retirement.