Age Discrimination at FedEx Express?

HuckToohey

You are entering a world of pain.
This is an open question for all you here. It is becoming more and more apparent that FedEx Express route goals are designed to negatively impact the more senior couriers. It is not enough that you make service in all your categories, treat the customer well, drive and work safely, but all this is moot unless you make your goals. And now the new program of harassment and humiliation has begun where your week is "reviewed" by a manager on Friday (just on Friday so far). They point out all your alleged, and according to them, shortcomings throughout the week. Plus my work is compared to a wheel swing driver that is 13 years younger than I. And I face the question continually... "Well XXXX seems to make goal on your route. Why can't you?" Now the majority of "Focus Routes" are occupied by couriers with more than 20 years service. I am going to commence documenting all actions taken by management against senior couriers. The present attitude, policies and practices of management reeks of Age Discrimination. If any of you have stories or eye-witness accounts, please post them to this thread.

55+

total production harassment on a daily basis...have yet to see anyone actually get terminated for this..does anyone know?

Myort

We had a courier complain to a managing director about being hassled on productivity. His response was "<enter name here>, how long have you worked here?" He said 15 years or so. Director said "As long as you don't steal anything or falsify anything, you'll be here for 30 years."

northeast swing driver

could care less about any 20+ year top pay entitled courier complaints

be thankful you earn a wage you can actually survive on

try living in a 10 year employees shoes in that pay bracket. tell me how you like it

20+ year top pay cowards not giving a damn about the 5-10 or 15 year couriers who live a totally different life not being able to survive on what we get paid

LTFedExer

Plus my work is compared to a wheel swing driver that is 13 years younger than I. And I face the question continually... "Well XXXX seems to make goal on your route. Why can't you?"
The goals on the route are set by you......you should be able to hit your own goals, no? You can't make a route easier, or harder, because of someones age.

I know a 33 year, 60 year old employee that will run circles around couriers 1/2 his age.

vantexan

The goals on the route are set by you......you should be able to hit your own goals, no? You can't make a route easier, or harder, because of someones age.

I know a 33 year, 60 year old employee that will run circles around couriers 1/2 his age.

They took a rt out of my loop and expected the rest of us to make it up. My rt is the most impacted. I'm having to drop part of my rt to handle stops dropped to me. These are very large areas, not condensed in-town rts. They've made no adjustments to my rt goals and I've gone from 100+% most days to low 80's or worse. Can't get a break in before 1630 many days. I'm getting gap reports with little msgs written asking why I'm not making goal. I brought it up to our director when he visited in front of everyone at meeting and he had engineer ride with me to get area fixed. She said there was no real way to fix it, no true baseline to work off of. Numbers weren't adjusted and I'm still getting notes. Got a month-to-date report with note stating I have 2 weeks to get the numbers up. Yet to have a mgr check ride and these mgrs don't have a clue anyways. I've always been in the top two or three in productivity and now this. Trying to get a transfer but keep getiing beat on jobs I want or the housing is so expensive had to back away. Feel like I better get out of here soon or I'll be leaving the hard way.

northeast swing driver

so 20+ year employees are cowards?

Yep for the most part yes

when union cards were being passed around to be signed in my building you could only get a very few top pay 20+ year employees to sign

there feeling was I'm fine with how I'm treated and too bad how you are treated. basically sucks to be you.

i have no sympathy for any top pay employees concerns. they should be thankful they aren't one step from welfare like most of us

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

when union cards were being passed around to be signed in my building you could only get a very few top pay 20+ year employees to sign

there feeling was I'm fine with how I'm treated and too bad how you are treated. basically sucks to be you.

i have no sympathy for any top pay employees concerns. they should be thankful they aren't one step from welfare like most of us

I'm with you man! These are also the same people that take up all the "prime" vacation weeks because they've never been in a position to be denied. I don't get mad at them for being where they are either seniority or pay-wise, it would just be nice for us to be on a more equal playing field.

HuckToohey

Exactly. The goals WERE set by me. But after a check ride my manager DID NOT adjust the delivery cycles. He said he adjust the return building gap time and the pickup time cycles...but NOT the delivery cycle where I do all my miles. One of the other drivers dropped from 98% to 77% because of additional territory added to his rt. His reward? A Focus Route designation.

HuckToohey

No Union Cards were ever presented to us. If they have been, I would have signed.

HuckToohey

Exactly. The goals WERE set by me. But after a check ride my manager DID NOT adjust the delivery cycles. He said he adjust the return building gap time and the pickup time cycles...but NOT the delivery cycle where I do all my miles. One of the other drivers dropped from 98% to 77% because of additional territory added to his rt. His reward? A Focus Route designation.

HuckToohey

total production harassment on a daily basis...have yet to see anyone actually get terminated for this..does anyone know?

Not yet, but in the context of the current atmosphere at FedEx and according to the majority of posts here in the FDX section, wouldn't you agree that this would be a viable step to downsize Express and still hold onto the "no layoff policy" that FDX loves to tout?

HuckToohey

I'm with you man! These are also the same people that take up all the "prime" vacation weeks because they've never been in a position to be denied. I don't get mad at them for being where they are either seniority or pay-wise, it would just be nice for us to be on a more equal playing field.

What? You think we all started with 20 years in the company? I was denied plenty of times coming up through the ranks and had to work the crap routes nobody wanted and Saturdays when I transferred. The disconnect here is that you were hired by FedEx Corp and it's policies and the 20+ were hired by Federal Express Corp and it's policies. Two completely different philosophies. They changed more than the name in 1996.

LTFedExer

You set the goals...they took a route out of the loop. You can't make goal, but the swing driver can just because he's younger? I don't think so. If you had a city route where you run and gun for 8-9 hours, I would be on your side 100%. Being you have an out of town route, the only way he/she can do it faster is that they drive faster. Has nothing to do with age.
What? You think we all started with 20 years in the company? I was denied plenty of times coming up through the ranks and had to work the crap routes nobody wanted and Saturdays when I transferred. The disconnect here is that you were hired by FedEx Corp and it's policies and the 20+ were hired by Federal Express Corp and it's policies. Two completely different philosophies. They changed more than the name in 1996.
Policies before or after FedEx Corp has nothing to do with which week vacation you get or don't get. The most senior people always will get the better weeks. Me after 12 1/2 years still can't get everything I want.

vantexan

You set the goals...they took a route out of the loop. You can't make goal, but the swing driver can just because he's younger? I don't think so. If you had a city route where you run and gun for 8-9 hours, I would be on your side 100%. Being you have an out of town route, the only way he/she can do it faster is that they drive faster. Has nothing to do with age.

I can't hit my goals and neither can the swing driver if we aren't actually doing the rt the goals were set for. I went from 35 to 45 dels most days driving 220 to 260 miles to now doing 28 to 32 stops and often over 300 miles a lot of days with longer stem times. The area that is dropped to me has very rough out and back slower roads so it takes longer. So now the system thinks I'm driving more, taking longer to do less stops so I must be screwing around. No adjustment has been made but I'm now writing on gap reports I sign that the numbers reflect having to pick up and deliver in 2 other rt areas besides my own. Not everything is as cut and dried as you make it sound.

LTFedExer

I can't hit my goals and neither can the swing driver if we aren't actually doing the rt the goals were set for. I went from 35 to 45 dels most days driving 220 to 260 miles to now doing 28 to 32 stops and often over 300 miles a lot of days with longer stem times. The area that is dropped to me has very rough out and back slower roads so it takes longer. So now the system thinks I'm driving more, taking longer to do less stops so I must be screwing around. No adjustment has been made but I'm now writing on gap reports I sign that the numbers reflect having to pick up and deliver in 2 other rt areas besides my own. Not everything is as cut and dried as you make it sound.
Not according to your first post.

This is an open question for all you here. It is becoming more and more apparent that FedEx Express route goals are designed to negatively impact the more senior couriers. It is not enough that you make service in all your categories, treat the customer well, drive and work safely, but all this is moot unless you make your goals. And now the new program of harassment and humiliation has begun where your week is "reviewed" by a manager on Friday (just on Friday so far). They point out all your alleged, and according to them, shortcomings throughout the week. Plus my work is compared to a wheel swing driver that is 13 years younger than I. And I face the question continually... "Well XXXX seems to make goal on your route. Why can't you?" Now the majority of "Focus Routes" are occupied by couriers with more than 20 years service. I am going to commence documenting all actions taken by management against senior couriers. The present attitude, policies and practices of management reeks of Age Discrimination. If any of you have stories or eye-witness accounts, please post them to this thread.