Aggressively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing either

YesYouDidPushAButton

You know. This bothered me a bit. We've had telematics in our center for about 4 months now. I've been running my route clean, 99% by the book and run .30-.40 over, stress free with no problems. I have a routine, a tight schedule, I'm on time everywhere I go. Run my route, at 13:45 every day I stop at the same place and eat lunch, sort my truck at the same place every day, all is well.

I walk in Monday, punch in and go to the PCM, I'm refreshed from the weekend, I'm truely in a good mood and ready to work, ready to do a good job for them and make my customers happy, yada yada. After PCM I'm called into the office with a steward. :dissapointed:

I was accused of stealing time, this and that and it wont be tolerated. I will be terminated for stealing the next time this happens.
Apparently, they've been studying telematics data but just this week started "using" it.

On road: "Your last stop was 13:43, than we showed you traveled .2 miles and stopped for lunch but punched out at 13:45"
Me: "And ?"
On road: "You stole that 2 minutes, you are to punch out as soon as you stop complete your last stop, and you dont punch back in till youre at your next stop scanning packages"

A more condescending tone than usual. He tells me not to act like I never knew this, than talked to me like I'm a 5 year old.

On road: "Than you punched back in from lunch at 14:45 and you didnt complete your next delivery till 14:58, thats 13 minutes!"
me: "I come out of lunch and go through the car and resort it checking for misloads and biz in my resis, like I'm told to do before 15:00 every day, this is also how we do the route when you ride with me"
On Road: "Thats not how we do it around here, sort as you go, no need to stop and go through the car, you're taking extra lunch time, dont you understand we can see where you are and what you're doing now ? You're stealing time and now we see it"

So today I finish my last stop at 13:44, punch out to lunch at 13:45, finish lunch at 14:45, and punch back in at my next stop at 14:49. By the way, this is driving and a traffic light I would've had to drive through whether I stopped there for lunch or not. Anyways, I work my way delivering across town, get to the furthest point from where lunch was at and at 16:21 I found a misloaded saver in the 7000 section. However I'm now doing all my heavy pickups across town, I get through the pickups and get back across town and deliver it at 16:50, at least it made service. Funny thing is, it was right next door to where I eat lunch and I could've walked the damn thing over while sorting out the car like I've done every day for years without a single problem.

So I get in tonight and I'm accused of again stealing time and miles by driving across town to deliver saver, than talked to like I'm a 5 year old, and he wants to know why I didnt stop before 15:00 to go through the car like I was instructed to do :angry: Than I missed an OCA commit time (still picked up) going back out to where I was to continue (late) scheduled pickups. Was told I'm receiving a warning letter for the stolen time and late saver. They're being this unreasonable with many others, it's not just me.

Soooo... I went from .40-.50 over doing it the way I've been doing it for almost a decade, to .80-.90 over by not going back through the truck and sorting as I go all day long.

I will continue to smile and let them pad my paycheck with their absolute incompetance. :happy-very:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Re: Aggresively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eith

Tell them if u get in an accident between those stops while your on break if your still responsible the answer is yes don't clock out on break til the car is parked and engine off period!!!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Re: Aggresively accused of stealing time, UPS hasnt figured out the morale thing eith

if you break your decade old routine every single time management crawls up your ass, they're only going to bother you even more

just stick with your old routine and grieve against their discipline

UnconTROLLed

perfection

If you are not relieved from the vehicle, bulkhead and diad locked up and at your lunch destination, you do not have to punch out for lunch. That is the gist of the DOT and etc law, to my understanding.

.2 mi sounds like a very reasonable distance. I would start with the union, and if they don't help, I would suggest document complaints with the DOT including your managements names.

They harass every driver with the production line, seeing what they can lie and get away with. If you really want to take a bold step, inform your workgroup of the laws they are protected by, including being relieved of duty from the vehicle THE ENTIRE HOUR you are on lunch.

gorilla75jdw

this is why I would not do package , Its storys like this that let me know combo was the best choice for me , who needs the harassement

Walk the line

If that pkg car is moving your on UPS time. Start lunch after you 1)secure vehicle. 2)End lunch when DIAD alerts you. 3) When rest period ends, Punch back in, scan pkg car like returning from a stop as trained. 4) Proceed to next stop in Diad...Since you just started EDD follow their plan, stop sorting before/after lunch. Every time they question you tell them you followed EDD. You'll have more options every time they question your actions.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

My load is a disaster every day and my PDS is a raving incompetent. If they start this BS with me I'll stop sorting my truck and start running my route exactly the way it is in edd and then they'll really have something to cry about.

gman042

Been around the block a few times

So....say your last stop before lunch is a dock stop. After completing the stop, you cannot move the vehicle to a safe location to do lunch? But if you do...do it on your own time.
From the OR's example you are supposed to operated the vehicle off the clock during personal time going to lunch location and then after to next stop? Ludicrous.

Stealing 13 minutes? What does it matter if between point A and point B it takes 13 minutes on any given day? So what if between those 2 stops you take your lunch......it still takes 13 minutes. This is time that UPS would have paid you for regardless if you take your lunch or not.

over9five

Staff member

Makes you proud to be an employee, doesn't it?

Tomorrow they'll be begging you for a sales lead.

Omega man

It's only a matter of time before UPS gets sued for their dishonest and illegal position on when lunch begins and ends for drivers. They actually argue that employees must perform their normal duties (driving, sorting and delivering) on part of their unpaid lunch hour. Stealing from employees is their only motivation. Policies like this only reflect the kind of dishonorable people we have running this company. It is sad what this company has become.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's only a matter of time before UPS gets sued for their dishonest and illegal position on when lunch begins and ends for drivers. They actually argue that employees must perform their normal duties (driving, sorting and delivering) on part of their unpaid lunch hour. Stealing from employees is their only motivation. Policies like this only reflect the kind of dishonorable people we have running this company. It is sad what this company has become.

Are you saying that the only dishonorable people within the company are in management? I agree that it is sad what this company has become but do you think UPS put these policies in place just for the heck of it or were they put in place as there are hourlies out there who do steal time.

IMO the OP did nothing wrong. The only thing I may have done differently is code the 13 minutes as sort and load.

Indecisi0n

How do you code off as sort/load?

Indecisi0n

It's right above your leave and return to building times along with Local Sort. You can also code out other work (Safety) by using the Other Work function.

I know how to code out safety. Are you saying there is a "load" in that long menu? I never heard of guys coding this time off. They just have a gap of 20 mins or so and when management asks they just tell them they were sorting. Never once have i ever been asked to code it out.

Indecisi0n

I would advise you not to do this based on anonymous recommendations found on the internet. Ask your boss first.

I agree. I won't do it because what I have been doing now has never been questions so why rock the boat. Thanks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I would advise you not to do this based on anonymous recommendations found on the internet. Ask your boss first.

I would much rather explain 13 minutes of sort and load time than 13 minutes of inactivity.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I know how to code out safety. Are you saying there is a "load" in that long menu? I never heard of guys coding this time off. They just have a gap of 20 mins or so and when management asks they just tell them they were sorting. Never once have i ever been asked to code it out.

It's on the main screen above where you put your leave and return to building times. I use this when we have to wrap up our own cars. I don't sort on the road but if I did I would use it then as well.

Generally any inactivity of 15 minutes or more will raise a flag.

Indecisi0n

I would much rather explain 13 minutes of sort and load time than 13 minutes of inactivity.

Because they are weird about coding certain things out. If they start bothering me i will use it.