ahh missing airs...are they like socks in the dryer?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'ma long time loader recently moved off my old assignment to a new one because my new center manager thought i needed a heavier assignment...ehh. anyway..my old four routes averaged 7-10 air each day. My new ones, one driver consistently gets more than 15...some days around 25 air. Both my line sup and center manager have mentioned several times that this driver complains he's missing air several times a week. He was missing one today. My question is, as long as i'm not misloading an air into wrong car or mixing his air with his ground so he can't locate it....which never happens...how is thos my problem? My center manager whines about it to me weekly but if it comes down the belt, it's in his truck. If i don't receive it, what part of my rectum would you like me to pull it out of?

Johney

Oddly enough I have NDA's PAL'd to my 2000 section from time to time. Why? Who knows. The loader puts them right where the PAL tells him too. Just a thought.

balland chain

That is not your problem.. you do your job, it is not up to you to think for the driver...Let the center manager whine,, they are good at it...

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Ten or so years ago, I bid an inside, preload/porter job because I thought the grass was greener. I had one driver deliver late air every day and blame me for putting it in the load (pre-PAS, when you had to actually look at the address labels). My supe knew it wasn't me (h*ll, I'd already driven for 20+ years), and told me to tape a sheet of paper next to my load chart, and write down the address of every NDA I loaded on his truck.

​Guess what.....I won! Give this a try.

QKRSTKR

I was missing one yesterday. Never found it either. I checked before I left though, had preload sup. looking for it and he didn't find it either. Go figure. Oh we'll.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
There is one loader who always seems to lose some of my air or put it in the wrong place. Air should be at the very beginning of the 1000 shelf unless it is a big box then it should be right below on the floor in plain sight unless the driver and loader work out something special. Mine were getting misloaded daily into neighboring trucks or thrown in at the end of the loaders shift on the ground at the rear door under bulk.

Now I have requested the loader just throw my NDAs in a tote and I'll carry them into the truck when I'm on the clock. Less work for him and no hunting for air. If I am short air in the tote I can find the misload before leaving the building in a neighboring truck 9 times out of 10.

There is one loader who always seems to lose some of my air or put it in the wrong place. Air should be at the very beginning of the 1000 shelf unless it is a big box then it should be right below on the floor in plain sight unless the driver and loader work out something special. Mine were getting misloaded daily into neighboring trucks or thrown in at the end of the loaders shift on the ground at the rear door under bulk.

Now I have requested the loader just throw my NDAs in a tote and I'll carry them into the truck when I'm on the clock. Less work for him and no hunting for air. If I am short air in the tote I can find the misload before leaving the building in a neighboring truck 9 times out of 10.
Your not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I was having a hard time with this for awhile. Guess who it was? Part time sup after he told all the preloaders to go was just throwing air in the back of the truck. Often in the 8000 or 6000 sections.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I am trying to do a proper AM routine along with my pre-trip once I pull out of my car slot and the hub in the morning. It is all coming back to me now, the methods training in driver orientation: verifying your air, identifying the first five "floor packages" to be delivered (which are usually irregs), first five call-tag stops (if you have that many), etc. I've come to think I don't always the greatest starts because "the preload puts airs in the car", or because "irregs are just put anywhere". I am beginning to realize that more often it is because I am not taking the time out to do a proper setup of my day, by verifying my air count before I leave the building, getting a good look so I know what they look like (I often have loaded air, taking a brief mental note, only later to have difficulty finding it because I cannot remember what it was (big vs small; box vs envelope), becoming more intimately familiar with my load. I realize I liked having the air behind the car because I would physically have to load the air myself and thus become more familiar with the package. I am re-commiting myself to be more diligent in doing a proper AM routine. Nothing is perfect, so there will be days when the car is cubed out and I won't be able to do much beyond verifying my airs, but generally I hope to have better mornings. Amazing the things I have forgotten....

PT Car Washer

I was having a hard time with this for awhile. Guess who it was? Part time sup after he told all the preloaders to go was just throwing air in the back of the truck. Often in the 8000 or 6000 sections.

Vacation covering an AM air route with a ground bulk stop on the tail one summer. Same thing and when I caught the PT supe he asked why I was so upset? His answer was it's on the right truck. He was the preload training supe. He did not last long. When do they?

Brownslave688

Vacation covering an AM air route with a ground bulk stop on the tail one summer. Same thing and when I caught the PT supe he asked why I was so upset? His answer was it's on the right truck. He was the preload training supe. He did not last long. When do they?

This is the whole problem with the preload. The whole mentality is get it on the trucks the drivers will take care of it.

This is also why we make the big bucks.

Brownslave688

This is the whole problem with the preload. The whole mentality is get it on the trucks the drivers will take care of it.

This is also why we make the big bucks.
The only problem with the preload is...they have to do what their ..A-hole...bosses tell them what to do!!

I wasn't talking about the union workers problem I was saying that's how management views it. Although I think we all know there are a few preloaders that have that mentality also.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Yes i've seen my line sup do the same thing, which is why i won't leave till every package and piece of bulk is in my trucks. He tries to cut me a little early at least once a week...oh you can go, one of the new guys will bulk out for you. Ahhh...noo. nobody touches my trucks lol. But anything for management to save a buck.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The problem with the preload is the same as in driving centers, and really UPS operations all over: the irrational and impractical metrics forced upon them, like PPH.

How can they even truly measure pph for preloaders since they don't use scanners?

BrownArmy

I have a particular Preload-sup in my center who loves to 'clean' the belt by leaving all the extra packages in whatever truck is still around.

Good times, good times.

I got into it with him once...

"I can't take this."

"You have to take this, it's in the same town."

"Not really, that's three routes over, that will cost me 45 minutes".

"Bullshiz".

"This package is missed. I'll take it, but it's missed. Can I call it in as a misload?"

"No, it's not a misload!"

"Ummm...OK, it's missed."

"You need to deliver that package."

"Incorrect."

(On-car: Why haven't you left the building yet!?!)

Rinse, repeat.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I have a particular Preload-sup in my center who loves to 'clean' the belt by leaving all the extra packages in whatever truck is still around.

Good times, good times.

I got into it with him once...

"I can't take this."

"You have to take this, it's in the same town."

"Will work as directed, that will cost UPS 45 minutes".

"Bullshiz".

"This package will get delivered after I do my route. I'll take it . Can I call it in as a misload?"

"No, it's not a misload!"

"Ummm...OK, I'll just explained to my sup why I drove 45 minutes to deliver this because you told me I had too."

"You need to deliver that package."

"Will work as directed."

(On-car: Why haven't you left the building yet!?!)

"Because the preload sup is giving me a package that doesn't belong to me because he failed to do his job and ensure it was loaded on the correct vehicle"

Rinse, repeat.

Fixed it for you.

Last edited:

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
It's "ensure".

In memory of Upstate.

220.jpg