Air Driver positions getting replaced by 22.4s?

Method Mensch

Because they can do other things as well.

Why pay a PTer to deliver air when he can load trucks instead.

The reason they created the Air Driver position was that there was such a volume of air service that had to get done by 10:30 they couldn't do it with existing ground routes, and yet there wasn't enough volume of ground service packages to justify creating an entire ground route. Enter the Air Driver: he delivers the air volume that needs to get done by 10:30 and has a 3.5 hour guarantee (or 3, depending on which supplement). If there's extra work, you can offer it to him; if not, he punches out. Flexibility for Management.

The reason they created the Air Driver position was that there was such a volume of air service that had to get done by 10:30 they couldn't do it with existing ground routes, and yet there wasn't enough volume of ground service packages to justify creating an entire ground route. Enter the Air Driver: he delivers the air volume that needs to get done by 10:30 and has a 3.5 hour guarantee (or 3, depending on which supplement). If there's extra work, you can offer it to him; if not, he punches out. Flexibility for Management.
Or a 22.4 driver can deliver ground at top air rate...

542thruNthru

Yes but now we have 22.4s with even more flexibility. No more paying a air driver top rate to del or pick up ground.

PT Car Washer

The 3 hour guarantee is in Art 40 not the supplements. I agree about the flexibility part. Management doesn't have to figure out what to do with an air driver for 8 hours everyday.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Maybe when Sundays come it will be a Sunday air operation for some of these air drivers losing their jobs to 22.4s. I think its envitable that air driving to make a living is now out the window.

Method Mensch

The 3 hour guarantee is in Art 40 not the supplements. I agree about the flexibility part. Management doesn't have to figure out what to do with an air driver for 8 hours everyday.
What will happen to all these air drivers forced back into the preload or twilight shift?
Well... According to both my steward and my BA, it's not happening. According to multiple Center Managers in the area, it's coming, and Air Drivers can either go 22.4 or inside. I'll go with what The Union says over Management, until it's proven otherwise. The motivation for Management to lie? They're under pressure to fill all those 22.4 slots coming down the pike. The more experienced drivers they can get in those slots, the less training they'll have on their plates. As an added bonus, they get rid of some seniority Air Drivers.

Db2400

Well, whether they're air drivers or 22.4 drivers they're not getting hired here. I'm one of the senior air drivers who's getting put in different areas every day and I'm getting pissed.
Dont worry a 22.4 driver will be replacing you shortly. Enjoy the money while you can.

derrick

but if you are full time air driver you go into the building at top pay which is higher then air driver because you already went through progression. or if you fall in the old contract you are hitting top pay next year and you will get top pay when your senority date hits.

542thruNthru

And what about the part timers do they saty at there air rate? Or do they go to there inside rate?

They would go to their building rate.

Even FT air drivers depending on their supplemental language would go back to their building rate after a week or so of being laid off.

Last edited:

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
That us the whole reason they created them right was because they can use them however they like air, eams, ground, or pickups which eliminates pt people who have been with the company for decades. Not sure what advice I would give to part time air drivers but make the move on your own terms before the layoffs begin.