Air Driver Saturday Mandatory All Day Availability?

shalang

Quick story.

Saturday Air Driver. Supposed to do my annual SMV and am 2 months expired. Worked in hub during that time so havent violated anything.

Need to get SMV done and was informed that I have to be available all day since Saturday is a regular work day now. OrIginally was told that I would only be required to do EAMs, then later be available until 12 and now it's available ALL day. Was told if I am asked to help out and I want to leave after air then it is consideres job abandonement and subject to complete termination from UPS.

True?

Quick story.

Saturday Air Driver. Supposed to do my annual SMV and am 2 months expired. Worked in hub during that time so havent violated anything.

Need to get SMV done and was informed that I have to be available all day since Saturday is a regular work day now. OrIginally was told that I would only be required to do EAMs, then later be available until 12 and now it's available ALL day. Was told if I am asked to help out and I want to leave after air then it is consideres job abandonement and subject to complete termination from UPS.

True?
Lead is right... You need to get with a BA.

PT Car Washer

I know and I will on Monday. Just something that happened today and wanted to know what you guys thought.
Sounds like management got caught with their pants down forgetting that Sunday is Easter and Saturday volume may be more then normal. Any reason why you can't work all day if needed to? Remember the sup will be right there with you and I am sure he wants to go home also.

shalang

Sounds like management got caught with their pants down forgetting that Sunday is Easter and Saturday volume may be more then normal. Any reason why you can't work all day if needed to? Remember the sup will be right there with you and I am sure he wants to go home also.
This is actually a bigger issue.

Been a Air driver for over a year. They kept changing my route to the point I was getting off at 3-4 PM.

Father is almost 90 and recently got dementia. Rather than lose me since I have to care for him, they asked me to stay for in building work (prior to Saturday going regular) about three months ago and drive whenever I can.

I was supposed to do the SMV two months ago since it expired and when I came browned up I was told that he was too busy and that we would have to do it another day. That other day didn't come.

They offered me a permanent EAM job two weeks ago (when Saturday ground started) and assured me I would be out by 10. Now they are backpedlling and said they need me to 12 which I said I could be flexible. When I said I could they stated they need me to be available all day since it's a regular day.

PT Car Washer

This is actually a bigger issue.

Been a Air driver for over a year. They kept changing my route to the point I was getting off at 3-4 PM.

Father is almost 90 and recently got dementia. Rather than lose me since I have to care for him, they asked me to stay for in building work (prior to Saturday going regular) about three months ago and drive whenever I can.

I was supposed to do the SMV two months ago since it expired and when I came browned up I was told that he was too busy and that we would have to do it another day. That other day didn't come.

They offered me a permanent EAM job two weeks ago (when Saturday ground started) and assured me I would be out by 10. Now they are backpedlling and said they need me to 12 which I said I could be flexible. When I said I could they stated they need me to be available all day since it's a regular day.
Could you just turn down the EAM job and continue working inside and caring for your father? I know it would be a large cut in income, but what is more important at this time? You obviously can't do both.

shalang

Could you just turn down the EAM job and continue working inside and caring for your father? I know it would be a large cut in income, but what is more important at this time? You obviously can't do both.
EAM job wouldnt be a problem. The commit time is 9:00 here so I would be home in time (mother also cares for him but it is a lot of work).

The issue is that from EAM they wanted me available until 12 for air. When I said I could be flexible and work those times I was told by HR that they now want me available to drive the entire day.

Working in the building is no longer permanent due to Tue-Sat hub workers. I was working Saturday Air in building with car parking and loading.

PT Car Washer

EAM job wouldnt be a problem. The commit time is 9:00 here so I would be home in time (mother also cares for him but it is a lot of work).

The issue is that from EAM they wanted me available until 12 for air. When I said I could be flexible and work those times I was told by HR that they now want me available to drive the entire day.

Working in the building is no longer permanent due to Tue-Sat hub workers. I was working Saturday Air in building with car parking and loading.
And with vacation starting to crank up and Saturday Ground they are trying to cover all their bases. Sorry, I do understand what is happening but only your Business Agent can tell you where you stand. But since you are PT that could be your Ace in the hole. That and maybe(?) FMLA.

shalang

And with vacation starting to crank up and Saturday Ground they are trying to cover all their bases. Sorry, I do understand what is happening but only your Business Agent can tell you where you stand. But since you are PT that could be your Ace in the hole. That and maybe(?) FMLA.
FMLA for sure.

Was just wondering about the responsibilites of air drivers in your guys areas. Reading the supplement doesn't clearly define whether ground has to be delivered or not.

Will ask the agent Monday or tomorrow if I see him in the hub.

Anthonysg0113

Don't worry, soon there won't be a such thing as Saturday air anymore!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds like he will be "on call" and will only be used if needed.

shalang

Seems like our building is making the rules as they go along. Same with Tue-Sat preload shift. They are having people come in and sending them home once they know they are fully staff. They tell them that will be their day off, after driving here and clocking in. Some people get Tuesday "off", some Wednesday, etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Seems like our building is making the rules as they go along. Same with Tue-Sat preload shift. They are having people come in and sending them home once they know they are fully staff. They tell them that will be their day off, after driving here and clocking in. Some people get Tuesday "off", some Wednesday, etc.

Those people need to demand their guarantee.

I think we need more people giving this kind of information brother! I like to joke as much or more than anyone, but we should offer that piece of advice more here.
I agree... It's a shame that we are so spread out and so different as locals... I think we could tackle the company better if we had a better understanding of each other's local.

LeadBelly

Banned
I agree... It's a shame that we are so spread out and so different as locals... I think we could tackle the company better if we had a better understanding of each other's local.
We have to learn to work around our obstacles and differences in politics for the betterment of the Teamsters name. I'm trying