Air handler work area question

nafgan

Ive been working at UPS for about 8 years now as a ramp employee. In the past when there was higher turnover we would occasionally have to go inside and unload cans that had been just taken off of aircraft and brought inside.

However, recently this has changed to now become a daily ramp employee responsibility. Is this kosher with the union? They have fired several sort employees who were performing this job that we are now doing.

Its become somewhat of a problem going from inside where its 20 degrees and working hard to then 15 minutes later going out in -5 with -20 windchill.

I work bellies without complaint, but dressing for the weather and having to strip down then suit up doesn't seem right when i thought my job duties were outside only.

nafgan

That is what I suspected. How does that work with seniority and layoffs when package handlers on the inside with 10 years of service are laid off because air handlers with 8 years and less are doing their work?

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
That is what I suspected. How does that work with seniority and layoffs when package handlers on the inside with 10 years of service are laid off because air handlers with 8 years and less are doing their work?

Sent using BrownCafe App
That doesn't sound right. I would check with the local. Seniority should trump all. You need to check with the BA.

nafgan

Our local union rep is fairly worthless. I don't know how it works at other locations, but here we have separate seniority lists for locations (ramp , air cargo, and hub)

Sorry for the question, what is BA?

Sent using BrownCafe App

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Union Bussiness Agent. Check out Article 40 Section "friend"
1)Air hub and gateway employees shall work off one (1) senior-ity list within each operation, unless otherwise mutually agreed.Part-time employees covered under this Section shall be given thesame opportunities for full-time positions as described in the appro-priate Supplement, Rider or Addendum. Where those Agreementsare silent or are not clear, the Employer and the Local Union shallmeet and agree upon a method of affording the opportunity for full-employment.......
this may apply if you work under Article 40

Our local union rep is fairly worthless. I don't know how it works at other locations, but here we have separate seniority lists for locations (ramp , air cargo, and hub)

Sorry for the question, what is BA?

Sent using BrownCafe App
If you think your union rep is worthless and you don't know what a ba is I'm kinda going to take that statement with a grain of salt.