Air vs. Ground Seniority

Future

Victory Ride
I am glad you mentioned area knowledge.

We have a new center manager who seems to have a different set of operating rules than our previous center manager's. His newest one is that we can all be directed to cover a route other than our bid route based on staffing needs and area knowledge; in fact, during the PCM last week, he mentioned my name, saying that I could be "asked" to go to Lake Placid, if needed. Keep in mind that I have not delivered a full route there in more than 10 years. We had two FT bid route drivers directed to cover routes other than their own this past week. They were not happy campers.
Side note,,,,went camping 2 years ago just by Lake Placid.......GD......that is God Country!!!! The beauty of that area is overwhelming!!!

oldngray

nowhere special
Lake Placid is too commercialized although very pretty. I preferred to camp in Adironacks farther west where it was much more a wilderness area.

Z

ZQXC

We have a new center manager who seems to have a different set of operating rules than our previous center manager's. His newest one is that we can all be directed to cover a route other than our bid route based on staffing needs and area knowledge; in fact, during the PCM last week, he mentioned my name, saying that I could be "asked" to go to Lake Placid, if needed. Keep in mind that I have not delivered a full route there in more than 10 years. We had two FT bid route drivers directed to cover routes other than their own this past week. They were not happy campers.

Discontent in the BOG?

AlwaysChafed

PT Handler, ran mostly Air, some Ground. I'm still here but my last days are near. Funny I was told I would be ineligible fore rehire. Unbelievable.

Overpaid Union Thug

PT Handler, ran mostly Air, some Ground. I'm still here but my last days are near. Funny I was told I would be ineligible fore rehire. Unbelievable.

Why? I've seen people get rehired two, sometimes three times. And not all of them were great employees. I would think that someone with any driving experience would be welcomed back unless they just absolutely sucked.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown

The understanding in my last center was that they could take you off your bid route once a week if they needed to for needs of the business. Anymore than that and you could grieve it. I asked my BA if that was true and he said it's not written anywhere and the union has never agreed to it and to file if it happens, even for one day. We filed for a bid driver it kept happening to every other day and it stopped.

Bottom line is it was more convenient for the on-cars to send the cover guy out on the blind on the bid driver's easy route in question, rather than ride with the cover guy for 3 days to teach him the more complex industrial route that the bid driver kept getting bumped to.

AlwaysChafed

Why? I've seen people get rehired two, sometimes three times. And not all of them were great employees. I would think that someone with any driving experience would be welcomed back unless they just absolutely sucked.

I don't suck that's for sure but this is what I'm told (non-rehire able). Yet I'm working with them still right now. If this is the case I might as well not show up.

AlwaysChafed

It's more disappointing to wait another 4-5 years before really being a driver. The lingering effects of part time just kills me January - April/May. It's morsels and they own you.

Xexys

Retired and Happy
The area knowledge thing was brought up many times in my old center more as a threat than anything else. center manager never did do it but threatened to do it many times.

Last edited: