"Aldo" Shoe Store; scan all pickup pkgs?

Base Comm

So today I had an OCA for an "Aldo" shoe store on my route. The manager of this store informs me that from now on, at every Aldo shoe store across the nation they want the UPS driver to scan every pkg that is picked up.

Anyone else out there with an Aldo shoe store on their route, been instructed by the store manager to do this? Just curious...

I know this is a question for on road sup or center manager, but they were gone by the time i got back to the bdlg.

Base Comm

I used to scan all pickup volume. But about 2 years ago we were told in PCM and via couple Diad txts not to scan pickup pkgs. center manager says we dont get any allowances for scanning pickup volume. Scan end of day only, if cust has it.

I still scan my NDA and Hi values, for what its worth.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
No Aldo here either. I have a few stops that never seem to get their end of day printed, so I always scan my pups as a cya. Rather than just entering a total, 8 for instance, I instead have 8 scans to show I did in fact pickup 8 pkgs. I'm sure this happens everywhere.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Base Comm you are correct. Customers need to print the end of day and have it ready (discourage not ready situations).

You should not be scanning p/u packages unless its a On Call pick up. You get no time for doing this.

Stran

Holy Toledo
No Aldo shoe stores here but we were recently given instructions not to scan any pickup pieces. Discipline was threatened for not following this procedure. No unscheduled pickups allowed without approval of management. No scan of any packages picked up except ARS from walk up or non pickup act customers. We were given a guideline sheet to refer to. This includes No scans of ASD pkgs no mater the service level. I could understand why a shipper would want their pkgs scaned.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No Aldo shoe stores here but we were recently given instructions not to scan any pickup pieces. Discipline was threatened for not following this procedure. No unscheduled pickups allowed without approval of management. No scan of any packages picked up except ARS from walk up or non pickup act customers. We were given a guideline sheet to refer to. This includes No scans of ASD pkgs no mater the service level. I could understand why a shipper would want their pkgs scaned.

Does this include drop boxes?

COH_IE

Any & all packages in UPS dropboxes should receive a scan, regardless of service level (including ARS packages). Additionally, if a customer drops off a bundle of envelopes with the PSB attached, the driver should scan both the PSB as well as all of the packages associated with it.

If a driver receives an ODS pickup event, all packages should be scanned at that pickup.

If a driver has a daily pickup and is asked by the customer to scan all packages, the driver should explain that each individual package will receive a scan at the local sort facility and that scanning the PSB will account for all the packages picked up. It is not necessary to scan anything further -- the driver should then enter the appropriate package counts for each service level. The driver should verify that the number of packages picked up matches the number listed on the PSB. If it does not match, the driver should record the actual number on the PSB along with his signature after the customer verifies that there are no more packages remaining to be shipped.

I would venture to guess that Aldo has their billing tied to the origin scan, which may explain why they would want the drivers scanning all packages.

over9five

Staff member
Remember, we all work for different UPS's. Do what your management team tells you, not what you read on the internet.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I liked the "old way" we took out our green sheet from our log and put down in pen the amt of pkgs picked up at the stop,then a little slash 4/5 4 next days 5 second days...this never caused any problems:happy2::happy2:

upsman68

I liked the "old way" we took out our green sheet from our log and put down in pen the amt of pkgs picked up at the stop,then a little slash 4/5 4 next days 5 second days...this never caused any problems:happy2::happy2:

I suggest you find Doc Brown and get in his DeLorean and go back to the "old way".

Also remember that re-entry is a little bumpy.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
We have always been told to scan anything that is not part of the end of day barcode. All Internet generated labels(you know the ones with the little package in the bottom corner) and all ASD or other return labels.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If the Aldo store is an OCA as the OP said, I would assume it's internet generated labels. These have always required a scan at the pickup point. So the new policy isn't new at all. Once again this shows why our company colors should be grey.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Checked with the Package I.E. expert on On-Call Pickups and scans.

His reply was that scanning
Does nothing for the customer other than appease them. Time In Transit starts with the origin scan. Driver's would not get planned time unless they some type of special variance is applied...
I'm going to pass this to the sales side for follow-up.

From my research into this back in 2007 there is no need to scan any OCA per Package Operations guidelines even though we may miss some revenue opportunities by not doing so.
Effective January 2010, there will be no reason to scan any packages for any reason for an OCA pickup.

COH_IE has it right except that no OCA pickups should be scanned. Scanning the labels at pickup does not initiate a Billing Event nor a EPLD event.

There might be a need for a PCM clarifying this in January based on the varying understandings of when to scan or not. I'll send this thread to POSG for consideration.
I think the last PCM and guidelines was sent out in 2005 ... it's about time again.

over9five

Staff member
Checked with the Package I.E. expert on On-Call Pickups and scans.

His reply was that scanning
Does nothing for the customer other than appease them.

Perhaps. I wasn't going to bring up details (cuz I'm 2 years outta date with this) but I had a large shipper who sent out hundreds of 1das every day. Everyone at the company had "CampusShip" on their desktop. The companys mail room made a run evey afternoon to collect all the packages. One day a very important 1da was a day late. We (UPS) assumed the 1da didn't get to the shipping dock till the day after it was made up.

From that day on I had to do a pick-up scan on every 1da they shipped. Sometimes over a thousand. But now we know what day those CampusShips got to the dock.

Just sayin..... we have lots of special situations for many shippers.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Unscheduled pickups are the flavor of the week here as well.
All ARS pkgs are to recorded via a scan in the PPD field of the special soft key option.
This was the first I heard of it although apparently it's been there for awhile.
I always entered them as an unscheduled pickup with no other intention but to represent my work.
Seems like a better way to me as it attaches an address to the package being picked up.
If that's the way they want it, so be it.
Were I'm lost is the notion some drivers think they now aren't getting "credit" for the pickup.
I ask them,"aren't you on the clock"?
If your getting paid then your getting credit.
Bonus? Who cares?
I'm not foolish enough to fall for that hypocracy.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
No Aldo here either. I have a few stops that never seem to get their end of day printed, so I always scan my pups as a cya. Rather than just entering a total, 8 for instance, I instead have 8 scans to show I did in fact pickup 8 pkgs. I'm sure this happens everywhere.
I scan all my pu pkgs to cover my butt. There will never be a question of whether or not a pkg was picked up.

Base Comm you are correct. Customers need to print the end of day and have it ready (discourage not ready situations).

You should not be scanning p/u packages unless its a On Call pick up. You get no time for doing this.
I don't do it for time allowance. I do it more as a preventative measure for my own peace of mind.

over9five

Staff member
I scan all my pu pkgs to cover my butt. There will never be a question of whether or not a pkg was picked up.

I don't do it for time allowance. I do it more as a preventative measure for my own peace of mind.

But could it be said you are stealing time by scanning packages when you don't have to?

babboo25

Banned
We have an ALDO store in our mall. They do not use end of day, so I do scan every package there. All of their pkgs have the little bowtie on the bottom. I scan all of those just to cover my ass since there is no record of outgoing pieces.

cino321

Yeah that's cool, but when you have pick ups something totaling over 500 pieces daily, you don't want to be the UPS driver that's breaking down pallets just to scan packages. :)