All Drivers return to bldg and off the clock by 6:45 Sheet remaining stops as E C

UPSGUY72

Re: All Drivers return to bldg and off the clock by 6:45 Sheet remaining stops as E

At 6:00 today a 2 way was sent to all drivers in our center. All drivers are to return to the building and be off the clock by 6:45. Sheet all packages as emergency conditions even though we had no know problems with weather in our center.

Where is the integrity in this? I delivered a package to one house and had one for a few houses down with customer waiting on their porch. I had to work as directed and look the other way when I passed their house.

I am sure they tracked their nda saver and saw emergency conditions as the reason it was not delivered and are wondering ; why? The driver delivered a package to my neighbor? the street was plowed and clear; no ice anywhere?

Integrity.... I brought back 45-50 stops today.

If anyone knows what is going on to necessitate such an unprecedented act of disservice to our customers; I it what thats Logistics means?

Without knowing your location. I can say that you didn't get called back to the building becasue of OT. Those packages you brought back to the building are just going to add to tomorrows volume creating alot more OT. There had to be some safety concern for management to call everyone back to the building early and telling them to sheet everything as EC. If it wasn't a EC condition your local management will have to anwser to someone above them.

Unless you have been out of work for the past year you would have figured out that management decisions are being made at the district level and local management has become basically a messenger.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Re: All Drivers return to bldg and off the clock by 6:45 Sheet remaining stops as E

Yeah right. Same at our center. Only it was 725. I couldnt get back to the building, til 730, we have had some hellatious winter here, so I see EC would be legitimate, and it only gets worse at night.
My thoughts are they want us to have hours available for Super Saturday, to clean up the mess from 6 inches to upwards of two feet of snow in some areas. And snow warnings til thursday. 1 to 3 more a day.

Hours left???
Nothing guarantying that these drivers with available hours will make themselves available on Saturday, is there??

browned out

Again; we have no real weather issues here. Speculation is; that due to poor weather in other areas of the country; we would not be getting some loads in tomorrow. So, instead of delivering all of our stops with no problem today; we will deliver them tomorrow with the expected reduced volume in order to tighten up our areas and save corporate a ton of dough while sacrificing customer service and lying using the EC in this area.

It is the equivalent of using EC in NY NY using the earthquake in Hatti as the reason. So if there is a snow storm in Alaska in August; Drivers in Miami could use the EC; if directed.

iruhnman630

Hours left???
Nothing guarantying that these drivers with available hours will make themselves available on Saturday, is there??

Management can ask but it is already too late to force Saturday work for this week without a one-week notice.

browned out

Without knowing your location. I can say that you didn't get called back to the building becasue of OT. Those packages you brought back to the building are just going to add to tomorrows volume creating alot more OT. There had to be some safety concern for management to call everyone back to the building early and telling them to sheet everything as EC. If it wasn't a EC condition your local management will have to anwser to someone above them.

We were to pull all send agains and leave everything else on car. Send agains will be sent out tommorow; the missed (Fake EC parcels) may be put in a retain trailer for whatever reason.

I will post Wed or Thurs on how this shakes out.

Unless you have been out of work for the past year you would have figured out that management decisions are being made at the district level and local management has become basically a messenger.

tieguy

Banned

That sounds perfectly logical.. Is that the same reason that; on Halloween; drivers are kept out til 8:00 or later with kids running around everywhere

that may be the reason corporate felt they needed to step in and mandate a time. They saw how bad your guys screwed it up when left to their own devices.

browned out

that may be the reason corporate felt they needed to step in and mandate a time. They saw how bad your guys screwed it up when left to their own devices.

Can you please enlighten me your holiness? By own devices do you mean attention to customer service

TheDick

I had a customer ask me what day was it that the service guarantees went off. I guess it wasnt today. I know we try all of peak but I forget do we still have a date that UPS doesnt pay GSR's cuz of peak?

old brown shoe

30 year driver

Another sad day for the company. Fedex is ringing the bell on wall street while delivering there highest volume day and we get called in with our tails between or legs. Ever wonder why we loose market share. Time to get back to basics and deliver packages and start taking care of our customers before they all leave.

brownIEman

Another sad day for the company. Fedex is ringing the bell on wall street while delivering there highest volume day and we get called in with our tails between or legs. Ever wonder why we loose market share. Time to get back to basics and deliver packages and start taking care of our customers before they all leave.

No need to wonder. The customers who leave usually tell us. There are varying reasons, but the far and away largest single reason is price. We are the highest cost to serve operation.

Signature Only

Blue in Brown

You're beginning to sound like UPSSOCKS. Are you feeling O.K.? Getting too much heat from downtown? You usually have well-reasoned, balanced posts.

menotyou

bella amicizia

It's obvious to me that UPS Corporate issued these instructions and the reason is that they care about the safety of their employees.

Do not get sucked in by the myth that management EVER cares about your safety. They do not care about you or me or your co-worker or mine. They ONLY care about their backside.
Period.

stepitup

Our next day airs were late to the building yesterday, drivers were held to do the sort. My center manager announced that all airs were to be delivered by their commit times, anything different would be a disservice to the customer. I agree, customers should get the service they pay for but I disagree with sheeting the 35 residential stops I could not deliver due to the mandated 9/5 time as "emergency conditions" when a lack of staffing (compliance with alotted helper hours), planning and vehicles are the real reason. It is nice to see peak volume and stop counts creeping back up from years past but it's embarassing to explain to someone that their package couldn't be delivered because I needed to be off the clock. This is peak, this is what we "do", let us do it like we know we can.

rod

Retired 22 years

this gets my vote for best post of the peak season

raceanoncr

To add to this and not try to hijack this thread, this year, we've done a lot of online shopping. Approx 95% has been delivered by FDX and USPS. I think only 2 packages have been by UPS. A startling trend, indeed.

And no, I don't force my shippers to only ship my stuff UPS. Used to when I was young and naive. No more. I want my stuff now and cheap, however it gets here and so far, that's been the case.

whiskey

I hate to see management called on integrity so often. I think they just need to communicate better. When you get to work tomorrow, ask them why they used EC today. There is probably a legitimate reason and they NEED to communicate that!

Mercury has been in retrograde since the tenth and will continue to be in retrograde until December 26. So expect communications to suffer.
Lots of returns after Christmas. Says the cosmic muffin.

FAVREFAN

No need to wonder. The customers who leave usually tell us. There are varying reasons, but the far and away largest single reason is price. We are the highest cost to serve operation.
It's a Walmart world. Cost almost always over-rides service these days.
Unrelated....ordered a tv mount and HDMI cables online. Received those UPS one day earlier than a Wi-Fi card ordered the same day with Fedex/USPS. Both ordered at same time. I didn't realize FedEx had a deal with the post office too.....Smartpost. But to tie this all together, I went with the cheapest ground they offered for each item.