All That Remains concert

Crowleyyy

I went to see Dance Gavin Dance recently, got flagged as a non-drinker because I was "swaying" and I of course had some words with her, it is a concert, excuse for moving a bit to the music. Had my friend buy two beers, drank one, they swarmed me like hawks and got kicked out AS Dance Gavin Dance was setting up for their set :(

Lameeee. I went across the street to the Irish pub and got even more bombed while my friends got to see the show. Luckily, we were all blacked out so none of them even remember it.

tourists24

Concert was awesome.... yes WK it was at the Peel. Telic is a local metal band. Nonpoint absolutely rocked. All That Remains was about what I expected. Race,,,, what did you say? eh? yup verrrrrrry loud. But the venue was as packed as I have ever seen in all my times there.

[video=youtube;dOO4VZeH4-g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOO4VZeH4-g[/video]

wkmac

Concert was awesome.... yes WK it was at the Peel. Telic is a local metal band. Nonpoint absolutely rocked. All That Remains was about what I expected. Race,,,, what did you say? eh? yup verrrrrrry loud. But the venue was as packed as I have ever seen in all my times there.

About a year or so ago, we almost made the 3 hour plus ride up to the Peel to see Porcupine Tree but something came up and we didn't make it. Glad you enjoyed All That Remains.

tourists24

About a year or so ago, we almost made the 3 hour plus ride up to the Peel to see Porcupine Tree but something came up and we didn't make it. Glad you enjoyed All That Remains.
Not sure which side of the city you are on WK, but you may also want to follow The Valarium in Knoxville. It is very similar to the Peel (a little larger) and has in my opinion even better shows.

wkmac

Not sure which side of the city you are on WK, but you may also want to follow The Valarium in Knoxville. It is very similar to the Peel (a little larger) and has in my opinion even better shows.

K'Ville and A'Ville, time and distance are about the same for us. I'll keep that in mind. Tx.

raceanoncr

Not to hijerk this thread or anything but, tourists and wk, since you kids are into some metal, you ever heard of a group called Apocalyptica? A Finnish cello-only band that started out playing covers of Metallica. Man! Look, I'm now 63 and never really did get into the metal thing but my 30-something kid drug me to this here. I gotta say it was really intense and good! Cello? These guys make these giant fiddles SCREAM!

They do America once in a while, been here at least twice. Check em out. You won't be sorry.

wkmac

Not to hijerk this thread or anything but, tourists and wk, since you kids are into some metal, you ever heard of a group called Apocalyptica? A Finnish cello-only band that started out playing covers of Metallica. Man! Look, I'm now 63 and never really did get into the metal thing but my 30-something kid drug me to this here. I gotta say it was really intense and good! Cello? These guys make these giant fiddles SCREAM!

They do America once in a while, been here at least twice. Check em out. You won't be sorry.

Oh yeah, I've heard of them for sure. I'm 55 this year and I still go to several metal concerts every year just as I go to jazz concerts and even classical concerts as well. We very often go as a family and we all experience the music together. My kids love metal but they also like jazz and classical and even played as musicians in symphonies and jazz ensembles as well as rock and metal. When you understand the structure of music itself, it's all the same no matter the style or genre in which it is played.

Another band that uses strings in metal/rock format is Skillet. And although not purely stringed based as much as symphonic and a bit operatic influenced is the genre of symphonic metal. Very heavily European based and influenced, this genre is metal but with a clear underpinning in classical and well as opera influence. Here's some quick samples to give you an idea.

[video=youtube;cVrU2MVAWBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVrU2MVAWBU&feature=related[/video]

Notice a trend in the vocalists? Who sez women and metal don't go together!
:wink2:

Not along the lines of symphonic metal but more on a point of musical diversity within metal. One of the original Bay Area thrash metal bands to come out at the same time as Metallica is Testament and their guitarist Alex Skolnick who in the early 90's left to go to NY and study music, specifically jazz guitar. From around 2000' till about 2008' Alex was the lead guitarist for Transiberian Orchestra and has since come back to rejoin Testament. The guy is a fantastic player and even today still does jazz with the Alex Skolnick trio.

When it comes to music, there are no rules, there are no limits. It's boundaries are only as far as the mind itself will take it!

tourists24

Apocalyptica just played at the Valarium within the last week or two... I really wanted to go but just couldnt work it out.... Oh and WK, Skillet is definitely on my concert wish list. Love em. ATR was on it but now is scratched. Next on my radar is Mudvayne and Bullet For My Valentine

DS

Fenderbender
Tourists, I won tix to see Rush, Time Machine Tour. Moving Pictures in its entirety....can't wait.
feth COOL! I grew up about a mile from Geddy and Alex.
There's a great little movie about them called "Beyond the lighted stage"
Heres a link to the first part,if you search youtube,the rest is there as well.

[video=youtube;OAQqYzvj28Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQqYzvj28Q[/video]

fethrs

feth COOL! I grew up about a mile from Geddy and Alex.
There's a great little movie about them called "Beyond the lighted stage"
Heres a link to the first part,if you search youtube,the rest is there as well.

[video=youtube;OAQqYzvj28Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAQqYzvj28Q[/video]

Ds that is too cool! I can't wait to see them again.