Alley use

ymelord

I del in a small town of around 2000 people. Been on the route 3 years. I use an alley to del to a floral shops back door. Well today the lady who has a house situated beside the alley decides to flag me down and yell at me for driving down her alley saying its not safe because she has grand kids at her house (btw in3yrs time I have never seen these kids I'm not convinced they exist). I have always drivin very slowly down the alley so as far as I'm concerned she is just a bored buddy*y housewife. How would you handle this?
You didn't answer 407, is she hot, because if she is, that GILF needs a little love'n so she won't be so bored, and buddy*y. Sometimes you just gotta take one for the team. Keep us updated

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Even if its private sounds like the flower shop wanting the delivery there gives him permission.

If it's a private alley the flower shop may/may not have the authority to grant said permission. Private alleys will usually have "No Trespassing" or "Not For Public Use" or something along those lines. If it is a public right-of-way we can use it but must be mindful of the residents while doing so.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Would it be reasonable to make the shop deliveries from the road?
I take it that you have never delivered flower shop orders before. My mom owned a couple of flower shops over the years and I have delivered to our local florists. Those boxes are a PITA. If they are actual flowers, they are heavy and large. Even other boxes are usually big. Foam for arrangements, vases. I, personally, get as close to the shops as possible.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If it's a private alley the flower shop may/may not have the authority to grant said permission. Private alleys will usually have "No Trespassing" or "Not For Public Use" or something along those lines. If it is a public right-of-way we can use it but must be mindful of the residents while doing so.
I guess this is a right coast thingie. Alleys out here are all public access. Many are used for trash pick up, meter reading and such.

65Goat

How many packages are we talking here? I deliver to a town of 2300 and their floral business isn't exactly a bulk stop. I would put her on the previously mentioned list and walk it off.

barnyard

KTM rider
I used to deliver to a floral shop in a town of 8300ish. Frequently cart in 2 to 3 cartloads of stuff. Big, bulky, go through the back door or you are going to knock stuff off the shelves. For a florist, I would do everything I could to preserve back door deliveries.

bumped

I use alleys everyday. The one thing I always have to watch out for is the height of the wires. Not all of them are up to code, so I don't use them at night.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's like saying that one person can deny access to multiple houses on one driveway. BS One person cannot deny access to anothers back door.

Multiple houses which share one driveway are all granted an easement. I doubt that the florist has been granted an easement to use a private alley.

(I will leave the last sentence alone)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The difference is if one of the people sharing the driveway orders a package they are giving the carrier permission to use the driveway. The florist may/may not have permission to use the alley.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
And if the florist has a back door on the alley, you think they wouldn't have an easement or right-of-way?

Anyhow, it's all moot, since the OP has chimed in since his first post.:biting:

OptimusPrime

Don't want to fire up a certain overweight member of the Youtube community, but with stuff like this I just say **** it. With the shield on the truck, the uniform, the packages, we are granted a bit of immunity. It's not a perfect world, and maybe if we delivered out the back of Honda CRX, then we could make some concessions. But we don't. Have to park in places most shouldn't. Sometimes block in park cars, the list goes on. Like they tell you in driver training. People see the truck, know the corporation, and see dollar signs. Like some old crank who recently called in on me. Wanted free shipping because I didn't knock/ring the bell. To know this, she had to be sitting and watching me. So she was fully aware the package was left on the porch.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Multiple houses which share one driveway are all granted an easement. I doubt that the florist has been granted an easement to use a private alley.

(I will leave the last sentence alone)
​Like I said, out here all alleys are easements and therefore the public has access. I don't know how the wrong coast works.