Already have DOT card

nystripe96

My road test is this week. I already have a CDL and subsequent DOT medical card. Do I need to get a new one through UPS once I pass? or will my background checks and processing be quicker

over9five

Staff member
You will have to get a new DOT card. Let them worry about it. They'll tell you when and where to go.
I would guess this too. UPS physical standards are tougher than the DOT requires. (Mostly concerning BP). Any of you getting a 1 year card, like me, probably know the DOT doesn't require this for most drivers. UPS requires it at less BP than the DOT.

​Did that make sense??!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I would guess this too. UPS physical standards are tougher than the DOT requires. (Mostly concerning BP). Any of you getting a 1 year card, like me, probably know the DOT doesn't require this for most drivers. UPS requires it at less BP than the DOT.

​Did that make sense??!

My ex has to get his DOT every year because of his BP. It is required by DOT.

UPSGUY72

If your Dot card is still good your ok you just need to give a copy to UPS so they know when it going to expire and they know you have one. You go to a DOT certified Dr to get your DOT card usually the same one or two that every one that needs a DOT card in your Area working for UPS or not goes so you will be fine. The Police officer that pulls you over doesn't care who you go to as long as you have a card.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If your Dot card is still good your ok you just need to give a copy to UPS so they know when it going to expire and they know you have one. You go to a DOT certified Dr to get your DOT card usually the same one or two that every one that needs a DOT card in your Area working for UPS or not goes so you will be fine. The Police officer that pulls you over doesn't care who you go to as long as you have a card.

Not true here. I've had a DOT card for years and mine was current when I went to work for UPS. They would not accept it. I had to go get a new one. NYstripe, be sure to get a copy of the new one to DOT (card and long form) so they have the current one on file. It is a PITA when you get a letter saying your license will be suspended because your card is expired and you have a good card. BTDT

over9five

Staff member
My road test is this week. I already have a CDL and subsequent DOT medical card. Do I need to get a new one through UPS once I pass? or will my background checks and processing be quicker

Make sure you post back what they have you do. New card or not.
​Thanks!

rocket man

you are worrying about th wrong thing just hope you can do the job, good luck

jaker

trolling
I don't see why the hassle to drive a hideous package car. As long as you have your license, clean driving record, know how to drive a stick, then you're good to go.
Ups cares about our BP because most drivers dont have bosses or a bunch of goals that can never be meet put up on them on a daily bases

UPSGUY72

Ups cares about our BP because most drivers dont have bosses or a bunch of goals that can never be meet put up on them on a daily bases

It's not UPS it's the DOT... The DOT cares because they son't want you to get into a accident when you have a heart attack and kill someone else.