Already Started for Some

vantexan

We're finally up and running on the 4X10's at my new station. Couriers here have been working 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week for many years and have built their lives around that income. Several have told me they are going to have to get a second job and, as you can imagine, they aren't happy. The thing is if a lot of freight is shifted to Ground there will have to be a restructuring of rts back to 5 days because there's no way we'll get 35 hrs. I had a fairly busy day today and only got 10 hrs. And that included more than 2.5 hrs of roundtrip stem time. I know we're only guaranteed 35 hrs but one of the excuses given for slow pay progression over the years was to give us an incentive to work the OT the company needed us to work. Ridiculous raises and elimination of OT is going to hurt way too many employees. If the company has any shred of decency they'll give couriers a substantial adjustment in pay to make up for some of the loss of OT. Pretty much know that won't happen.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We're finally up and running on the 4X10's at my new station. Couriers here have been working 10 hrs a day, 5 days a week for many years and have built their lives around that income. Several have told me they are going to have to get a second job and, as you can imagine, they aren't happy. The thing is if a lot of freight is shifted to Ground there will have to be a restructuring of rts back to 5 days because there's no way we'll get 35 hrs. I had a fairly busy day today and only got 10 hrs. And that included more than 2.5 hrs of roundtrip stem time. I know we're only guaranteed 35 hrs but one of the excuses given for slow pay progression over the years was to give us an incentive to work the OT the company needed us to work. Ridiculous raises and elimination of OT is going to hurt way too many employees. If the company has any shred of decency they'll give couriers a substantial adjustment in pay to make up for some of the loss of OT. Pretty much know that won't happen.

I think it's started in a lot of locations. People are just walking out the door, and they've got tons of openings...all PT. Part of it is probably a Beta test to see how it works, but most is the real deal in advance of the official announcement in October. Good luck on any raise, especially considering that the rationale for all of this is saving money.

vantexan

I think it's started in a lot of locations. People are just walking out the door, and they've got tons of openings...all PT. Part of it is probably a Beta test to see how it works, but most is the real deal in advance of the official announcement in October. Good luck on any raise, especially considering that the rationale for all of this is saving money.

Every day will be like a Saturday operation if we go strictly overnight. And it won't take as many people to get it done. I doubt they can avoid layoffs and many of those part-timers will get the axe if they are obligated to go by seniority.

DontThrowPackages

The only routes that don't need to worry are the apex. If they don't have enough work, they simply steal it from their neighboring route. Taking p1 and p2 until they're maxed out. Then the second route steals from the next route over and, if hes lucky, will go out maxed. The bottom routes will be screwed major. I really don't know whats going to happen to these people if they're full timers. No way they will get even 5 hours a day when we lose XS. Time will tell.

Goldilocks

Keeping FTers under 50 in our District. Its a mad house scrambling to keep people under 50 for the week on friday. Everyone else has to take up the slack, while PTers are getting great hours right now because they take out the extra stops left behind from the FTers. Its a crazy mess on fridays.

Lordtekk

Keeping FTers under 50 in our District. Its a mad house scrambling to keep people under 50 for the week on friday. Everyone else has to take up the slack, while PTers are getting great hours right now because they take out the extra stops left behind from the FTers. Its a crazy mess on fridays.
Thats the problem with some PTers,Fedex will not upgrade them to fulltime so they do what they can to get hours. But in retrospect why hire more FTers if PTers will do the work ? My suggestion is to refuse the work if it's not scheduled,the operational needs B.S. can only go for so long. If there is an operational need then work it into the schedule but don't run the operational needs B.S. to try and force PTers to work. Magically FT positions will open up. Doubt this will ever happen though,there is no sense of unity in this company.

fessup

"Doubt this will ever happen though,there is no sense of unity in this company".

Sad, but true. We don't have a union but you would think there would be a degree of unity amongst couriers. We all face the same issues but we don't back each other up at the station level.

I've raised issues at meetings and one or two couriers never fail to jump in and defend the company before management has time to respond. We seem to have a high proportion of republican-voting corporate apologists. (It amazes me that any Fedex courier would vote Republican - talk about cutting your own throat!)

DontThrowPackages

"Doubt this will ever happen though,there is no sense of unity in this company".

Sad, but true. We don't have a union but you would think there would be a degree of unity amongst couriers. We all face the same issues but we don't back each other up at the station level.

I've raised issues at meetings and one or two couriers never fail to jump in and defend the company before management has time to respond. We seem to have a high proportion of republican-voting corporate apologists. (It amazes me that any Fedex courier would vote Republican - talk about cutting your own throat!)
The GOP has been genius in touting themselves as the Religious party and also the party against minorities getting free assistance. Those to points are enough for many people to vote against their own economic interests.

fessup

The GOP has been genius in touting themselves as the Religious party and also the party against minorities getting free assistance. Those to points are enough for many people to vote against their own economic interests.

Sad, but true. The GOP establishment only represents the interests of the rich and powerful (people like Fred), so how do they get elected in a democracy? Well, I'll tell you - by lying and cheating, and by promoting whatever devisive issue they can dream up - race, religion, sexuality, immigration, abortion, etc etc. - the GOP establishment don't actually care about any of these issues, only money and power!

I do what I can to talk politics and the value of unions - discussions get heated at times but that's ok!

vantexan

Sad, but true. The GOP establishment only represents the interests of the rich and powerful (people like Fred), so how do they get elected in a democracy? Well, I'll tell you - by lying and cheating, and by promoting whatever devisive issue they can dream up - race, religion, sexuality, immigration, abortion, etc etc. - the GOP establishment don't actually care about any of these issues, only money and power!

I do what I can to talk politics and the value of unions - discussions get heated at times but that's ok!

Both parties are full of greedy SOB's. You think Pelosi, Reid, et al haven't enriched themselves? The problem with the Dems is they represent themselves as for the little guy but tell me why they didn't pass the FAA bill when they had the power to do so 2009-2010? You know, the bill that had the attachment that targeted FedEx employees, giving us the right to organize locally under the NLRA? Can rant and rave against the Repubs all day but when push came to shove the Dems deserted us in favor of Fred S's millions in campaign contributions. As for the Republicans, they are the ones pointing out the fiscal cliff we're marching towards like lemmings. They aren't pointing it out because they are mean but rather it's in their own best interests to maintain their wealth and businesses. But at least they are looking to curb spending. Obama will run us into the ground and is well on his way to doing so. If you deny that you are either uninformed or have your head in the sand. Think the economy is bad now wait until it's bankrupt. To quote Samuel L. Jackson "Wake the friend#%k up!!"

Goldilocks

Both parties are full of greedy SOB's. You think Pelosi, Reid, et al haven't enriched themselves? The problem with the Dems is they represent themselves as for the little guy but tell me why they didn't pass the FAA bill when they had the power to do so 2009-2010? You know, the bill that had the attachment that targeted FedEx employees, giving us the right to organize locally under the NLRA? Can rant and rave against the Repubs all day but when push came to shove the Dems deserted us in favor of Fred S's millions in campaign contributions. As for the Republicans, they are the ones pointing out the fiscal cliff we're marching towards like lemmings. They aren't pointing it out because they are mean but rather it's in their own best interests to maintain their wealth and businesses. But at least they are looking to curb spending. Obama will run us into the ground and is well on his way to doing so. If you deny that you are either uninformed or have your head in the sand. Think the economy is bad now wait until it's bankrupt. To quote Samuel L. Jackson "Wake the friend#%k up!!"

Thank you...

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
threadhijack.gif
threadhijack.gif

DontThrowPackages

I'm must be uninformed. Please tell me why, and on what ,Obama is spending? And why do you thing the "economy" is going bankrupt. :confused2:

vantexan

I'm must be uninformed. Please tell me why, and on what ,Obama is spending? And why do you thing the "economy" is going bankrupt. :confused2:

The national debt stood at $10.6 Trillion when Obama took office. It now stands at over $16 Trillion and growing. His administration has far outspent any other. Projected to be over $20 Trillion and growing by 2016. People like to point out that Bush left the economy in shambles but Obama's stimulus plan was for $1 Trillion. Where has the rest gone? He has rewarded supporters such as several solar panel companies with huge contracts, one for half a billion and it went bankrupt. He has grown the Federal Gov't to unprecedented levels. There are now 10's of thousands in Washington making over $150k a year when that number was a small fraction of what it is now. We now have over 47 million on food stamps, close to 5 million on disability, with incentives to keep them on gov't programs. This is all being paid for by selling bonds to foreign gov'ts, especially China, and paying the interest on the debt by printing money. If other govt's stop buying bonds this house of cards collapses. And as they print money it becomes worth less which gives those gov'ts an incentive to stop buying. The Chinese have already lectured us on this. They see their investment coming back to them worth less than what they were promised in interest. At the same time Obama has closed down drilling on Federal land and in the Gulf. He has severely hampered coal production. If he's reelected and manages to get the House of Representatives back his next goal is to implement his cap-and-trade program. He said in an interview that I watched that it would cause our electric rates to skyrocket. Trying to wean us off fossil fuels but there is no viable alternative. FedEx lives on fossil fuels. Don't like your pay now wait until that happens. Obama is a far left extremist pretending to be a centrist to get reelected. The only reason he hasn't tried to ram through other programs like cap-and-trade after he got Obamacare is that the Repubs won the House in 2010. And I'm beginning to wonder if enough people are worried about losing their gov't handouts that they'll vote for Obama and give the Dems the House back. We are literally at the edge and it won't be granny thrown off the cliff but literally everyone if we don't get the spending under control.

55+

You failed to mention the defense budget and the tax cuts for the rich.Personally I cant wait to start getting my handouts from our govt since my employer keeps taking away my benefits/entitlements? I suppose this is what fred has in mind..My 350.00 a week is just not enough anymore to make my mercedes payment..I could tryvand take a second job at walmart but fred just wont give me a regular schedule that I can rely on.maybe I will take some money from my bank account in the cayman islands..buy a business suit and get a fulltime job from another fortune 500 company since I know they will hire me especially since im over 55 and I know how companies admire and respect people over 55 especially women..There were so imany roads this company could take through the years and I personally think they blew it..they had a great workforce that really cared and were proud of what they did..Now they are just a greedy capitalistic money grubbing corp. that I really dont care to work for any longer..I really dont think Romney could make anything better for this country..He is not going to create living wage jobs any more than Obama can..Lets get real here..politicians are also onlu in it for themselves just like fred and his cronies.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

While I disagree with the Obama comment, you're right about the Democrats deserting us on the FAA Reauthorization Bill. Apparently, they like Fred's money just as much as the GOP does. Obama made me gag when he had the meeting with Smith last year and described him (Smith) in glowing terms. Some of you who have been around a long time might remember that Smith had a similar meeting with Bill Clinton, not long before Fred's special RLA language clause was slipped into the FAA Act back in 1996 at the last second. Ted Kennedy was one of the few to point out this sleight-of-hand maneuver.

My belief is that Fred spreads his wealth across both parties, although he prefers the GOP. This speaks volumes about our public servants, doesn't it? When Fred twisted arms by threatening to kill a 777 purchase with Boeing, I called, wrote, and emailed both of the Senators from Washington State, neither of whom would take-up the issue because they knew they really work for Boeing and Smith...not us.

vantexan

You failed to mention the defense budget and the tax cuts for the rich.Personally I cant wait to start getting my handouts from our govt since my employer keeps taking away my benefits/entitlements? I suppose this is what fred has in mind..My 350.00 a week is just not enough anymore to make my mercedes payment..I could tryvand take a second job at walmart but fred just wont give me a regular schedule that I can rely on.maybe I will take some money from my bank account in the cayman islands..buy a business suit and get a fulltime job from another fortune 500 company since I know they will hire me especially since im over 55 and I know how companies admire and respect people over 55 especially women..There were so imany roads this company could take through the years and I personally think they blew it..they had a great workforce that really cared and were proud of what they did..Now they are just a greedy capitalistic money grubbing corp. that I really dont care to work for any longer..I really dont think Romney could make anything better for this country..He is not going to create living wage jobs any more than Obama can..Lets get real here..politicians are also onlu in it for themselves just like fred and his cronies.

It really doesn't matter how you feel about the rich(the top 10% in income pay 70% of income taxes by the way), how you feel about FedEx, how you feel about military spending, etc. What matters is we've spent just about all we can and the well is just about dry. Getting the country back on track starts with greatly reducing the amount of spending, something Obama and company don't seem willing to do. If you think we can continue down this path and everything will turn out just fine you are kidding yourself. I'm all for social safety nets, fair pay, and a fair and just society. But throwing trillions down a bottomless pit is just stupid. And it'll be those of us willing to work for a living who'll bear the brunt of paying for it. And by the way, we came out of a terrible recession brought on by Jimmy Carter's policies in the late 70's by Reagan implementing policies that created many millions of jobs. You create jobs and bring in revenue that pays for social programs by creating an environment where those with money are willing to risk their capital to get even wealthier. A president talking about redistributing wealth will keep the wealthy on the sidelines. As much as some of you despise the rich(those nasty job creators) I defy any of you to prove you've made a living working for a poor man. Where I part company with the wealthy is when they demonstrate using us like expendable widgets instead of caring about us as fellow human beings who help them be successful. Believe it or not there are companies who do treat their employees well but the world isn't perfect and unfortunately those with the money often abuse the privilege. The constant ranting about the wealthy on this forum only serves to reinforce stereotypes and give a skewed view of the world. FedEx appears to be setting us up for a fall. But smearing a very successful man like Romney just because he's wealthy isn't fair as he has a record of excellent gov't service beyond his corporate success. Seeing all the wealthy through the same prism only cheats you. To quote a great songstress: "Free your mind, and the rest will follow".

vantexan

While I disagree with the Obama comment, you're right about the Democrats deserting us on the FAA Reauthorization Bill. Apparently, they like Fred's money just as much as the GOP does. Obama made me gag when he had the meeting with Smith last year and described him (Smith) in glowing terms. Some of you who have been around a long time might remember that Smith had a similar meeting with Bill Clinton, not long before Fred's special RLA language clause was slipped into the FAA Act back in 1996 at the last second. Ted Kennedy was one of the few to point out this sleight-of-hand maneuver.

My belief is that Fred spreads his wealth across both parties, although he prefers the GOP. This speaks volumes about our public servants, doesn't it? When Fred twisted arms by threatening to kill a 777 purchase with Boeing, I called, wrote, and emailed both of the Senators from Washington State, neither of whom would take-up the issue because they knew they really work for Boeing and Smith...not us.

I know it's important to spread the blame around, but it was common knowledge that Republicans were, and are, against unions. It was only when the Democrats had complete control of the gov't that FedEx kicked in, what was it, $26 million(have read as much as $32 million). I'm betting that most of that went to Democrats.

I've said before that I think Social Security is the best idea Democrats ever had. And I suspect that if business owners didn't have to match our payroll contributions there would be little criticism of it. If we are to keep SS viable then spending in other areas needs to be reigned in. Way too many baby boomers starting to collect. There isn't a bottomless well to draw on, the money will run out. We need leaders willing to be responsible, not hand out money to every constituency just to get their vote.

vantexan

Sounds like you are another loyal foot-soldier for the republicans - you just keep drinking their Kool-Aid while they sip their champagne at your expense.

You have absolutely NO IDEA what you are talking about. I'm sorry to be so blunt but I lose patience with the white middle class/working class that parrot the sort of nonsense you have just parroted. I work with idiots like you unfortunately. Right now I'm too pissed (not drunk pissed) to give you a detailed rebuttal.

Well when you are less pissed give me a detailed rebuttal. I'd love to hear your solutions to the mess we're in. If they're viable I'll forward them on to Washington. If however it's just more name calling without anything of substance then I'll just write it off as another typical liberal response.