Alright guys, need your advice fedex home delivery

tropolis

Went to Fedex indpendent contractor today and interviewed. Wanted drivers with a year of delivery driving/box truck/etc. within the past 3 years, which eliminated over half the room. Showed us how it works, in regards to loading up your packages, city codes, etc. Wanted me to fill out an app through there computer system but I didn't have the time, am going back tomorrow.

Let me break it down with how this contractor has it, and hopefully you guys can comment on it, etc.

Salary for just showing up and walking in the door: 20.00/day
Pay Per Stop: .70
Pay Per Package: .10
Bonus for the Month: 400.00

Within 3 months of solid performance pay per stop moves to .80 cents with a bonus of 500.00.

Now the bonus is dependent upon no complaints and not having any major screw ups. He said it was practically impossible for you not to get the bonus, and I did grill him on that and said what happens if someone takes a package, what happens if a package is damaged, multiple scenarios and I was satisfied with the answers

Threshold pay of 10.00 per day if you deliver 150 or more packages.
20.00 month discount off phone if work 20 days.

No expenses, uniforms provided, can keep truck with me if I want.

2 weeks paid off after 1 year of service, no other benefits.

Now assume 110 packages, which he did off his sample he provided, with 110 stops.

20.00 to show up
.70 x 110= 77
.10 per package x 110=11
400.00 Bonus (based off 22 working days a month 400.00 divided by 22)=18

What do you guys think?

Hate 150lb Packages

I'll try to give you some non negative advice. The reason contractors break it down like that is, in my opinion, to pay you even less than the standard salary for a Ground driver. Pay per package looks good on the surface, but your numbers are slightly less than the going rate for a Ground driver in my area, which is a yearly salary of $33,000 - $34,000. As far as Ground contractors go, he sounds about average. There isn't enough disparity in the numbers to warrant looking for a salaried position. The time off sounds nice. Here's what you need to look at: Forget the pay per package and all that crap...How many hours per day are you working? What is the morale of the other drivers? If you can't find any other work, I'd take the job. IF you can find some other entry level work, even if it's 10-20% less, take it. Look for something with upward mobility. FedEx Ground has none. Don't be swayed by promises of insurance either, you can get better on your own. He doesn't sound bad as far as contractors go, but he's certainly not going to pay you a living wage. Pick the minds of the other drivers. That's where your answer lies.

tropolis

It breaks down to 32,760 a year. I dont understand how this is horrible. Granted 32.7 isnt the best, but it could also be much worse. The averge US Salary for an individual is 32.1

It breaks down to 32,760 a year. I dont understand how this is horrible. Granted 32.7 isnt the best, but it could also be much worse. The averge US Salary for an individual is 32.1

The average household isnt working 60 hours a week to make 32,760................................................................................................plus they are not busting their hump like you!....just saying IMHO

tropolis

110 packages divided by 15 an hour is 7 hours. hour to load truck half hour to drive from destination to route, half hour break=9 hours. Dont know where you get 60 hrs.

Bankrupt

You asked our advice but seems you are not interested in taking it. Take the job and let us know what you think in a few weeks. You will be overworked and under paid I guarantee it.

MAKAVELI

You should ask yourself why they are not paying by the hour like Express, UPS, and USPS. Because it is a scam. A scam that FedEx and the contractor profit from. No mention of overtime or health benefits. Like someone else said the amount of time, sometimes 60 hours a week, and hustle you have to put in just isn't worth $32k.

MAKAVELI

110 packages divided by 15 an hour is 7 hours. hour to load truck half hour to drive from destination to route, half hour break=9 hours. Dont know where you get 60 hrs.
Dear lord, you have no clue. All we can say is good luck. You're going to need it.

Bankrupt

Fair counter points. Would just ask why those of you that dislike Fedex so much still working there?
I would leave at the first chance something came along(always looking) Fed ex use to take care of its employees at express and many have spent most of their adult lives working to build this company. Since the ground model was implemented things have gotten worse year by year. Most feel there is no where else to go. We still paid by the hour, overtime and vacation and paid holidays. Health benefits ( if you don't need them ), and a pension (severance pkg) Fed ex ground/home delivery offers nothing more than min wage. If your young my advice go apply at UPS.

Bankrupt

What is unrealistic about those numbers? The stops are all in the same area. Thanks.
That's what they are telling you, my experience with FedEx is when they tell you something most of the time it's a lie. If you need a job take it if you already have one don't quit it for FedEx and keep looking. Good luck to you.

MAKAVELI

Dear lord, you have no clue. All we can say is good luck. You're going to need it.

What is unrealistic about those numbers? The stops are all in the same area. Thanks.
Every route is different. The numbers you posted don't mention route density, rural or city. There are so many variables you are not aware of. I don't know where you came up with $15 an hour when you are paid by stop and package. If it takes you 1 hour to del 1 stop with one package, guess what? You get paid a whopping 80 cents for that stop. Get it?

tropolis

I would leave at the first chance something came along(always looking) Fed ex use to take care of its employees at express and many have spent most of their adult lives working to build this company. Since the ground model was implemented things have gotten worse year by year. Most feel there is no where else to go. We still paid by the hour, overtime and vacation and paid holidays. Health benefits ( if you don't need them ), and a pension (severance pkg) Fed ex ground/home delivery offers nothing more than min wage. If your young my advice go apply at UPS.

UPS is also a union shop. I have first hand experience of working in a union environment and it wasn't pretty. The union is one of the reasons why the place ended up folding up. Not a union fan.

I know many here have a built in negativity towards Fedex, which could distort there view. Obviously when several people are pointing out criticisms, I pay attention. At the same time it cannot be as bad as it is made out to be, and there must be some positive with the job.

MAKAVELI

UPS is also a union shop. I have first hand experience of working in a union environment and it wasn't pretty. The union is one of the reasons why the place ended up folding up. Not a union fan.

I know many here have a built in negativity towards Fedex, which could distort there view. Obviously when several people are pointing out criticisms, I pay attention. At the same time it cannot be as bad as it is made out to be, and there must be some positive with the job.
Keep thinking that when UPS drivers are making triple what you would at ground with excellent health and pension benefits.