Am I being harassed?

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Greetings all, hope your peak season is going swimmingly. Not often do I seek help on this forum, but iI'm beginning to think that I'm becoming the victim of harassment. I wanted to garner some opinions here before I decide to take it to my shop steward and onto the next level.

Here's the deal. As some of you know, I took over my own route back in August. For the previous 9 years I was a cover driver. During peak of 2011, I was assigned to a split car covering the entire city (and a small part of a neighboring city) that is where my (now) route is. The driver who had my route before me lost part of her work to my car, this driver did 160 a day with no helper. I regularly did between 260-300 stops on this split route, with a helper and of course a full 1 hour lunch.

Fast forward to the here and now. I continue to lose work to the route I covered in 2011, however now I'm being given work (to the tune of an additional 40 stops per day) that was on the split route I covered last peak. I'm now regularly getting 200-220 stops with a helper on the same route that was getting 160 without a helper last year. I am regularly punching out after 8:00 every night. I can understand at times it may be heavy, but this split route is consistently going out between 40-70 stops lighter than it was when I had it, and the driver who is doing it now is consistently off work by 6:30 every night, most days only taking a 15 minute lunch.

So the question is, is this thinly-veiled harassment? It seems as though I'm being held to a greater production standard on my route than the driver before me, and the driver who replaced me on the split is being held to less of a production standard than I was. I'm not what would be labeled as a runner/gunner. I've always worked safe, drove safe, and made my best attempt at taking care of the customer.

Any comments or thoughts on this?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That isn't harassment.
You need to find a way to show your management team that they have made a bad business decision.
I'll let you fill in the blanks.

UPSGUY72

Greetings all, hope your peak season is going swimmingly. Not often do I seek help on this forum, but iI'm beginning to think that I'm becoming the victim of harassment. I wanted to garner some opinions here before I decide to take it to my shop steward and onto the next level.

Here's the deal. As some of you know, I took over my own route back in August. For the previous 9 years I was a cover driver. During peak of 2011, I was assigned to a split car covering the entire city (and a small part of a neighboring city) that is where my (now) route is. The driver who had my route before me lost part of her work to my car, this driver did 160 a day with no helper. I regularly did between 260-300 stops on this split route, with a helper and of course a full 1 hour lunch.

Fast forward to the here and now. I continue to lose work to the route I covered in 2011, however now I'm being given work (to the tune of an additional 40 stops per day) that was on the split route I covered last peak. I'm now regularly getting 200-220 stops with a helper on the same route that was getting 160 without a helper last year. I am regularly punching out after 8:00 every night. I can understand at times it may be heavy, but this split route is consistently going out between 40-70 stops lighter than it was when I had it, and the driver who is doing it now is consistently off work by 6:30 every night, most days only taking a 15 minute lunch.

So the question is, is this thinly-veiled harassment? It seems as though I'm being held to a greater production standard on my route than the driver before me, and the driver who replaced me on the split is being held to less of a production standard than I was. I'm not what would be labeled as a runner/gunner. I've always worked safe, drove safe, and made my best attempt at taking care of the customer.

Any comments or thoughts on this?

Since you started cover driving 9+ years ago has the stop count on routes your covered increased ????

It's not Harassment it's call PEAK..

UPSGUY72

That isn't harassment.
You need to find a way to show your management team that they have made a bad business decision.
I'll let you fill in the blanks.

Filling in the blanks isn't going to happen he was a cover driver for 9 years before getting a route in Aug, yet peak stops per car numbers are a mystery to him.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
You're not fired and still getting paid 9 years later, the rest doesn't matter. They can give you mouth service all day but all that matters is what you described in your last sentence, let them worry about anything else.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Filling in the blanks isn't going to happen he was a cover driver for 9 years before getting a route in Aug, yet peak stops per car numbers are a mystery to him.

He's saying the dispatch changed and the stops followed him when he won the bid, but your point is taken.

Perhaps there is an off chance he will have a revelation?
OP, you are being played.

You can be like me. I love delivering in the dark and management knows ill stay out there in it. If you learn to have a good old time out there they won't want you to have your fun.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Your a ten year driver and u think that getting more work than someone else is harassment? Enjoy the big Christmas paychecks and come January file 9.5 if u don't like the OT and are still working late.

ymelord

Any comments or thoughts on this?[/QUOTE]

There is no such thing as a production standard. Work by the methods, and take your lunch, if you get done, great if you don't, not your problem they have drivers that have hours left to work. Probably not harassment, but write it all down, never know when you might need the info. Never hurts to ask manager about getting more stops (with steward as witness) just to see what they say, they are notorious for saying dumb stuff.

Last edited:

undies

What reason would management have to harass you? As for me, I think my workers comp claim is the reason for my harassment.

packageguy

re-post in january, let us know what yiu do then, It's peak, there are guys going out with 360 stops a day, again it's peak.....

BLACKBALLED

Its not harassment, it is UPS and it is Peak, after 9 years you should have already figured that out, like another poster stated enjoy the paycheck, there are others who wish they had your self made dilemma.