Am I crazy for wanting to work at UPS

rod

Retired 22 years
View attachment 215706

We expect your best effort here at UPS. The bar is set pretty high!

That looks like my load every day by the time I had arrived at my delivery start point in the little town I delivered to. I had 20 or 30 miles of rough back roads to deliver before I got to the town. The only difference was you could triple the number of packages in the load at the very least. For the first half of the day it seemed like I was continually going back to stops with packages I had missed. Have I told you lately how tough we had it.

KMR44

I am close to losing my current full-time job, and am want to move to a small town in Texas. Am I crazy for wanting to be a part-time package handler at UPS? The shift is Sunrise (3:00 AM - 9:00 AM). I am thinking that is a permanent part-time position, because the ad does not mention anything about seasonal, I am in decent shape and I just passed 40 y/o, and workout close to 5-7 times a week. I am doing this mainly for the benefits, but some questions I have is do you go through a 30 or 90 working day probation, and it is 1 year before benefits kick in? I also heard that if you leave during your first year that you can't get hired on again at UPS. I haven't applied yet, but I wanted to see what others opinions are.
Don't listen to all the negativity on this page. I've been preloading for about 2 months. Yes it is very physically hard work, the pay isn't good but the opportunities down the road are excellent if you stick with it. I finished driver training recently and will be driving soon. Be prepard to lose weight, get in great shape and have afternoons off. It's not bad.

Re-Raise

That looks like my load every day by the time I had arrived at my delivery start point in the little town I delivered to. I had 20 or 30 miles of rough back roads to deliver before I got to the town. The only difference was you could triple the number of packages in the load at the very least. For the first half of the day it seemed like I was continually going back to stops with packages I had missed. Have I told you lately how tough we had it.

This was a single bulk stop loaded on a second pkg car that I was to deliver before I was to take out my normal route. The pic was taken in the building before the car had ever moved!

Todd Shaw

I’m 40 and started pt time loading last November for peak. This Tuesday I start as a FT driver. I did get lucky on my bid, but just shows you can do it.

Lagger

I am close to losing my current full-time job, and am want to move to a small town in Texas. Am I crazy for wanting to be a part-time package handler at UPS? The shift is Sunrise (3:00 AM - 9:00 AM). I am thinking that is a permanent part-time position, because the ad does not mention anything about seasonal, I am in decent shape and I just passed 40 y/o, and workout close to 5-7 times a week. I am doing this mainly for the benefits, but some questions I have is do you go through a 30 or 90 working day probation, and it is 1 year before benefits kick in? I also heard that if you leave during your first year that you can't get hired on again at UPS. I haven't applied yet, but I wanted to see what others opinions are.
Do you have a truck with canapy or suv? Maybe just get in seasonal, driver assistant, seasonal ft driver or PVD. It will give you an idea if you can handle it & make some cash. Also after the peak (if you kicked butt) you can squeeze into a loader or something. That’s what I did last year.

ColdHarvest

Somebody likes weed and math

I bet you would be a successful dealer

It's funny how intelligence scares you.

Yes, I love math. No, I don't partake of the herb. Even though I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a plant is illegal because a bunch of idiots like you deem it so.

How much chocolate does that fat cow you call a wife put down daily?

Same/same.

Tom MacDonald

Max E. Pads
It's funny how intelligence scares you.

Yes, I love math. No, I don't partake of the herb. Even though I think it's absolutely ridiculous that a plant is illegal because a bunch of idiots like you deem it so.

How much chocolate does that fat cow you call a wife put down daily?

Same/same.

Yeah you need to be medicated.