Am I crazy for wanting to work at UPS

UPS_Newb

I am close to losing my current full-time job, and am want to move to a small town in Texas. Am I crazy for wanting to be a part-time package handler at UPS? The shift is Sunrise (3:00 AM - 9:00 AM). I am thinking that is a permanent part-time position, because the ad does not mention anything about seasonal, I am in decent shape and I just passed 40 y/o, and workout close to 5-7 times a week. I am doing this mainly for the benefits, but some questions I have is do you go through a 30 or 90 working day probation, and it is 1 year before benefits kick in? I also heard that if you leave during your first year that you can't get hired on again at UPS. I haven't applied yet, but I wanted to see what others opinions are.

john chesney

I am close to losing my current full-time job, and am want to move to a small town in Texas. Am I crazy for wanting to be a part-time package handler at UPS? The shift is Sunrise (3:00 AM - 9:00 AM). I am thinking that is a permanent part-time position, because the ad does not mention anything about seasonal, I am in decent shape and I just passed 40 y/o, and workout close to 5-7 times a week. I am doing this mainly for the benefits, but some questions I have is do you go through a 30 or 90 working day probation, and it is 1 year before benefits kick in? I also heard that if you leave during your first year that you can't get hired on again at UPS. I haven't applied yet, but I wanted to see what others opinions are.
No you’re on the outside looking in. You will find out if you get hired and the nightmare begins

Dulce Bombón

I'm Legal Gringo! UPS Latina Heat! Haters ❤ me!
Can't wait to see you come and go as enthusiastic you seems to be. It will be a priceless reaction.:rofl:

Heavy Package

Am I crazy for wanting to be a part-time package handler at UPS?

The UPS website states that being a PT Package Handler is a wonderful opportunity that is a very rewarding experience. Based on that, I say go for it and give it all you've got! Let us know when you have quit, so I'll expect a post in 3 weeks.

Re-Raise

003328F2-20D7-4E14-846E-3C1AE6DD8905.jpeg

We expect your best effort here at UPS. The bar is set pretty high!

Zowert

Your benefits kick in one month after your seniority date. I don’t know what kind of probabtion period there is for package handlers but drivers must go through a 30 day qualification period, therefore it’s two months until you get benefits as a driver. Maybe someone on this forum who works the belt could chime in.

Don’t let the guys on this forum discourage you though, the job really does suck. From drivers to preloaders, clerks to car washers and every grunt busting their ass in center; they’ll likely tell you the same thing—get a job in an air conditioned office!

Box Ox

Am I crazy for wanting to be a part-time package handler at UPS?

Most folks who want to work for UPS aren’t crazy. They’re just not fully informed.

If there’s anything else you can do to make a decent living, you should do that instead. Especially if it’s air conditioned.