Am I'm being bull:censored:ted?

snarts

So I have worked the number of days needed to enter the union. I went to talk to hr (probably a mistake) to find out who I needed to get in contact to apply. The hr person tells me I can't because my supervisor has to "give" me seniority, i'm still a trainee apparently even though i worked the required days within the required time. So later I find my local teamster number and they tell me they never heard of that and that i can go to the local and fill out a application if i can't find a steward in my center. So is what hr told me true, can my sup hold my seniority hostage until he feels like it?

snarts

I did, i'm heading there tomorrow to apply. I just wanted to know if hr was lying to me since they made a big deal about integrity when I first started.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Yes, you were given inaccurate/incorrect info about that by HR.
so any reason why they would lie?
It's possible that HR person doesn't know any better. Or, more likely, is bored and amusing themself (sic?) at your expense.

While you are at the union office applying, ask for a copy of the union contract book (so you can be sure you know how to earn benefits such as vacation/holiday/sick pay and pension credits), and maybe a copy of the Local's Bylaws (so you can know what to expect to be paying in monthly dues, fees (initiation and other), assessments, etc), or just have them explain it to you while you are there. Definitely get the name (and work area) of your shop steward.

I would like to commend you on your enthusiasm for trying to make sure you get in the union (although it's not clear to me why it seems to be so important to you). If nothing else, you are learning a valuable lesson of how hard it can be to become a union member, even though it's your right under federal law.

snarts

Yes, you were given inaccurate/incorrect info about that by HR.

It's possible that HR person doesn't know any better. Or, more likely, is bored and amusing themself (sic?) at your expense.

While you are at the union office applying, ask for a copy of the union contract book (so you can be sure you know how to earn benefits such as vacation/holiday/sick pay and pension credits), and maybe a copy of the Local's Bylaws (so you can know what to expect to be paying in monthly dues, fees (initiation and other), assessments, etc), or just have them explain it to you while you are there. Definitely get the name (and work area) of your shop steward.

I would like to commend you on your enthusiasm for trying to make sure you get in the union (although it's not clear to me why it seems to be so important to you). If nothing else, you are learning a valuable lesson of how hard it can be to become a union member, even though it's your right under federal law.
Thanks once again for the informative response. I rather not wait if I don't need to. As far as I know there aren't any negatives so might as well. Do you know how long it usually takes for the application to process?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
All they really know how to do is process your application. Anything beyond that, they are clueless.
Yep I was gonna say my HR person is the most clueless person in the building. And my last one was a driver supervisor for all of 2 weeks before she took a year of mental leave. Lol

Thanks once again for the informative response. I rather not wait if I don't need to. As far as I know there aren't any negatives so might as well. Do you know how long it usually takes for the application to process?
Application? You sign up, pay initiation fee (over time). Pay dues every month.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I would be surprised if the 'application' was anything more than a 3 x 5 card with lines for your name, address, SS #, and a signature authorizing payroll deductions for dues, fees, assessments, etc. I suppose you should ask at the hall if you will get a membership card (with your membership # on it), or maybe something like an annual statement (receipt) for tax purposes.